Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Introduction and some beginner questions
frao
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 11:39 AM
Introduction and some beginner questions

Hello fellow oudists,
Although I've already posted few messages, I thought that it'd be pretty neat to introduce myself before I start asking for your help. Hence, I come from Lithuania and one year ago I was introduced to oud by my Israeli friend living here in Lithuania. Since I was and still am into Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Sephardic, North-African and the rest of folk/indigenous music from all over the world, I decided to try this wonderful instrument.
For now it's been one year since I got my first oud (I bought it in Eskisehir, Turkey), which is in the picture attached below. I couldn't really dedicate enough time playing it but I try my best to figure at least fragments of this infinite instrument and the music played on it.
I had been playing violin (mostly Occidental music) for ten years before so I have a glimpse of playing fretless instruments which helps a lot practicing on oud. Now I'd like to ask you for some help.

Since I know (or I think I do) something about the process of learning to play an instrument, I realize that I simply need to cautiosly practice with any learning material I can get but one thing I can not dig for now: the ornamentation. Could you provide some tips, advices, tricks resources and general remarks on ornamentation of oud?

Also I would really appreciate if you would comment on the oud in the attached image. I am sorry but I can not provide any more information about it except that it cost 250 Turkish lira, which is something like 240 dollars, I suppose.

Here's the instrument:

up for Diogenian cynic naivette!
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 11:52 PM

Hi Frao- there are some postings on ornamentation in the forum, try doing a search, for example:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7305#pid457...
the forum is full of useful advice and tips! check the FAQs section as well. Your oud looks very similiar to one I have by the late Haluk Eryadin, who was based in Turkey. Is there a label on the inside? Looks like a nice oud- good luck, MW

Go To Top