Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nay flute dimensions
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 12:05 PM
Nay flute dimensions

Could someone give me the dimentions and the holes distance in a nay set.

I am interested in the Nawa nay particularly but if you have the dimentions for the whole set then I would really appreciate it.

thank you.
nayoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Meditative

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 02:00 PM
Ney Ratios

Samir

I got this attachment from the Nay lovers yahoo group. Its moderated by one of my friends in Cairo.
Good Luck
Hisham

Hisham
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 06:35 PM

Allah y3atik Alf 3afiah.

Thank you soo much!

I have a question for you... is the width of the bamboo standard accros all the neys??

Also do you know how far from the mouth the little ring of bamboo left inside the nay must be?

thanks again.
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 8-7-2008 at 11:48 AM

Hi Samir,

Below is the link to the Mahmoud Effat Book

http://www.xauen-music.com/showBook.php?book=1

It contains all the necessary information about the Arabic nay.

The Turkish ney is different. Based on my personal experience, I find its common scales with the Arabic maqams a bit "abrasiveā€.

This page is by my dear friend, Maged Mikhail in Chicago. You can also download the Effat book in Arabic from his page. Maged also talks about how to make a PVC nay.

http://home.att.net/~maged.k.mikhail/

A couple of pages that contain excellent information about the Turkish ney are:

http://www.bardoworks.it/ney.html

Fabio is also an excellent ney maker. I got 3 of his neys. If you need further information, let me know.

These two pages contain excellent information about the nay in general and the Turkish ney in particular:

http://www.neyneva.com/eng/baspare.asp

Refaat sells excellent quality neys, but he became real expensive lately.

http://www.neyzen.com/english.htm
This page contains excellent information about nay care and how to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehP-7r8pmFU

This is a movie about how they make neys in Turkey.

I also have the contact information for Dr. Qadri Sorour in Cairo if you are interested in buying Egyptian professional quality nays.

Check out Dr. Qadri Sorour and other young talents playing at The Faculty of Musical Education in Cairo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S2X3F-TkAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w06sx4sk7vE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1pvtNopX-I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THO-lxm4Hn0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG6QJxmttOY&feature=related

Good luck,

Hatem
nayoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2008 at 02:06 PM
Nay

Ahlan Samir ..and Shokran
Well the bore of the ney differs greatly, I just received an Egyptian Kiz-sized ney (Mahour) that is one inch wide, usually they are much thinner to enable you to get into higher registers easily.

The bore is also seldom the same width across the same ney (and that is especially true in longer neys).

Regarding your second question, I guess you are refering to two issues (please correct me if I'm mistaken),

1-The length of the Khazan which is the foremost mouth piece (first node). I believe its height - which is usually not too long (at least not the length of the entire node )- is determined by the overall length of the ney. Its usually the last part that gets sanded/tweaked to get the right tone.

2-The first internodal membrane of the reed, which is usually kept half way open and not taken out completely like the other membranes. When I asked why a few years back I was told that its got to do with the overall balance of the tone especially in upper registers.

I'm in Cairo now and if you need me to ask more questions around please dont hestitate to tell me, I know a few ney makers around.

Nice websites Hatem ... This webiste below IMHO is a revelation... its about ancient Egyptian Neys ...enjoy !!! I loved it .... It seems that the quarter tone was also present in ancient Egyptian Music ......
http://egyptsound.free.fr/fathi.htm#5
Cheers

Hisham

Hisham
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2008 at 03:08 PM

Hi Hisham,
I have an Egyptian Mahur and a kiz Turkish ney too...Are you sure that the diameter is ONE INCH???????
Thanks for sharing the website. It has a funny story behind it.
Who is the nay maker you deal with in Egypt?

Samir,
When picking up a nay, I usually go for a large diameter and thick old bamboo. If you decided to start, you will need a RE, or dokah (Sipurde in Turkish) and a SOL, or Nawa . These two nays will play almost everything.
The Dokah is the main Arabic nay.
Good luck,
Hatem
nayoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 02:57 AM
Nay

Hi Hatem

Yes, the (Lebanese made) Mahur (without the Baspare) I was refering to is REALLY one inch thick in diameter!, its hard to play though, even harder to play in the higher registers, but it has a beautiful airy first register.

I received it as a gift from Mohamed Said Antar the neyeti/neyzen/oudist who participates in almost all international conferences on the Ney (London, Istanbul, etc..), you'll find his name on the net.

His brother by the way- who goes by the name Mustafa Said-is the oudist for Dr. Nidaa Abi Mrad and now lives in Lebanon. Both brothers just released a new CD called Roubayiat el Khayam.... Its really nice...

http://www.forwardmusic.net/ShopOnline/SubPageDetCd.php?itemId=90&a...

Corrrection... its seems that the Ney_lovers yahoo group is no longer moderated by Mohamed Antar. Mohamed told me a few days ago that he gave administrative rights to Maged Mikhail (in the US) because he was busy working on their CD.

Regarding your question about my neys, I mainly buy my neys from Dr. Kadry Serour (Mohamed and Maged I believe buy their neys from him as well), I have other neys by Adel Fouad in addition to the aforementioned lebanese Mahur and my Turkish neys (with the Baspare).

Salam
Hisham

Hisham
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 04:26 AM

Hi Hisham,
ONE INCH DIAMETER???!!!
That is something new to me. However, I got a real beautiful yildiz (rast) from Mahammad Antar a few years ago. It is also very thick. I had the same problem with higher registers. I discovered that when you open the bottom 3 holes while playing the higher notes on the top three holes, that problem goes away. Try it and let me know.
I am attaching a picture of some of the nays I collected over the years. I got all mine from Dr. Qadri Sotour who is a dear friend of mine too.
All the videos I posted on youtube were recorded less than 3 months ago. I was on a business trip in Europe last May, then decided to stop by Cairo for vacation where I met with a lot of talents and amazing musicians like Dr. Sorour.

Maged is also a good friend of mine. He is visiting Houston on the 15th. for a nay/oud get together.

I have a lot of material (taqaseem/music) that I would be willing to share. Would appreciate it if you let me know whether you have anything interesting.
Salaam,
Hatem

nayoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 07:18 AM
Nays

Nice Collection Hatem ... Mabrouk !
I see that you have quite a few Awald Bayoumi Neys... I also have two of them that I bought from Dr. Serour a couple of years back... but I hardly use them, they tend to be more on the thin/high pitched side (one is a Mansur and the other is Mansur Shah Mabeyni).

The best Arabic neys I have are actually made by Dr. Serour. If you havent tried them I would recommend that you do. Adel Fouads neys are also good.

I have alot of Arabic and Mevlevi Taqasim (as well as Classical Indian Music, Bansuri, Sitar, Sarod, Surbahar,etc..), when I get back to the US I 'd PM you what I have (I'm still in Cairo).

Can you please tell me your you tube user name, there are a few videos on Dr. Serour and Dr. Atef by somebody called goofytimbo? is that it? just wondering ....

Mohamed Antar's Taqsim CD is due to be released next BTW.
Salam
Hisham

Hisham
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 12:36 AM

Hi Hisham,
I have a few additional nays from a few places (Turkey, Italy, Germany) You are right, my Egyptian nays are mainly Abnaa El Sayyed Bayoumi. I got them from Dr, Qadri. I have 2 dokah nays he made by himself. They are superb!
Yes, that's me on youtube. All these videos are only a couple of months old. I shot them during my visit to Cairo.
I hope you enjoy your visit to Egypt. If you send me a message when you return, I will definitely respond to you immediately.
Have a safe trip back.

Maa Tahyati,
Hatem
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 03:19 AM

Rifat Varol is an excellent ney maker, high quality work.
I recommend even if, as said Hatem, he is indeed very expensive.
But ney of such this quality were proposed to me more expensive than that in Istanbul and Ankara,special tourist offer I guess.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 03:20 AM

I forgot, Rifat Varol is the maker of neyneva.com website.
Regards
nayoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 10:33 AM

suz_i_dil

Yes I recommend Rifat Varol too, I already have three of his neys. I wasn't comfortable with the tuning of one (Kiz ney), and he replaced it without a word. He's an honest person to deal with.
:applause:

Hisham
Boral
Oud Maniac

Mood: Nahawand

[*] posted on 9-22-2008 at 09:12 AM

Hi,
I didn't understand if you want to buy or to build one ney.

Following these proportions and with the corrections suggested in the file ney_ratios you should be able to start your experiments.
The problem is to find a good reed.
It is not bamboo as it is said in some websites.

p.s. The back hole is 13/26. there is a mistake in the photo
the_drewster
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-28-2009 at 04:31 AM

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help. I used to live in Alex, Egypt about 15 years ago and I bought a set of 7 Nays from an old man on a corner of a street as I was mesmerised by the sound as a child. Finally, I've started taking lessons, but now am more than aware that the set I have are off key. I happen to be travelling via Cairo on the 13th Aug. Does anyone know where can I get a decent enough set that is cut in the correct key? How would I go around contacting Dr. Serour or Adel Fouad in advance and how much notice would they need to cut a set?

Many thanks

Motaz
hama
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-28-2009 at 07:32 AM

Hi Motaz, I got this information a while ago from Hatem afendi in this forum. hope it is helpful

Your best bet is Dr. Qadri Sorour who is the top nay player in Egypt. He sells nays made by Abnaa2 El Sayyed Bayoumi.
You may reach him @
+ 2010 5784124
the_drewster
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-29-2009 at 06:21 AM

Hama, thank you very much!
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 8-9-2009 at 06:33 PM

Hey guys
been looking for a good inexpensive nay to start with. can u place me in the right direction all i need is dukah i think bc i will be playhing arabic stuff.

please help me and PM ME.

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 8-9-2009 at 07:09 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/TURK-SH-NEY-HANDMADE-PROFESS-ONAL-REED-FLUTE-AN...

is that a good maker?

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden

Go To Top