Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: My new Necati Gurbuz oud
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-3-2008 at 05:02 AM

you know I cant say no to a video plus its been too long since we have seen a video of yours.

Oh and Iam just going to throw this out there for you Mav...
we are having a gathering of oudists in montreal on the 20th of september.
Can you make it?
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 9-4-2008 at 09:15 AM

Hi Samir,

I'm posting a quick video showing what I'm doing with my right hand. The angle on my wrist sometimes gets pretty extreme, but Yurdal's wrist did not seem this bent to me. I think he puts more "pressure" on his shoulder, sticking his elbow out more and allowing for a straighter wrist when picking.

The get together in Montreal sounds wonderful, but unfortunately I can't make it up this time. I hope that I will be able to visit before too long though, I really would love to come up.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 12:15 PM
Angle sanding on fingerboard

Hi,

I just got my Necati oud back from Haig Manoukian.

In addition to installing a pickup (he's the best with that, making 3-4 tries to see which placement sounds best), he angle sanded the fingerboard to eliminate most of the fingerboard buzzing I was having due to the very low action.

I think it's important to mention that angle sanding, in other words, removing more material from the side with the heavier, wound strings, is more beneficial than simply flat sanding a fingerboard with buzzing issues. It can allow for generally lower action and preserve more of the fingerboard material, instead of flat sanding and potentially removing more material than necessary, and raising the action more.

It is more difficult, but I definitely appreciate that now this oud can open up and play as it should.

I'm very happy with the instrument and the work by Haig, and when I get a chance I'll record a clip to show not only the reduction of buzzing, but also that the oud is playing more evenly and with more projection with the slightly raised action.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 02:16 PM

Hi Mav,

The fingerboard work sounds like a great idea. I dislike buzzing much more than I dislike somewhat high (but tolerable) action. To me, buzzing kills the tone and sustain of the notes, and ends up changing a persons playing -- you want to be careful not to lay into a note too hard, just to avoid excessive buzzing..looking forward to hearing the sound clip.

Regards..Paul
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top