Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aquila strings for Haluk oud
Arto
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 03:02 AM
Aquila strings for Haluk oud

I have a Haluk Eraydin beginner oud and would like to upgrade to Aquila strings. I´d like to try C#F#BEAD tuning - I´m a mandolin player and switching from all-fifths to all-fourths tuning would seem logical instead for "mixed" intervals.

My question is: Aquila makes Turkish sets as "standard" and "light". Which is preferable? I´d think modern oud would well use standard, on the other hand my oud has a bit high action at the neck joint and I have some finger arthritis and like my action as light as possible. I´m playing only for myself so volume is not a big factor, but sound quality is. What would you advise?

thanks a lot,
Arto
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 05:58 AM

Hi Arto= there is some info on Jameels website concerning these strings which may be useful:
http://www.khalafoud.com/aquilastrings.htm

If you've tried pushing the strings downwards at the front of the bridge where they come out from their holes so that they are level as possible and not raised, and if the action at the neck joint is still too high for you, then without actually having to replace the bridge here's something you might consider: ( PS- better have a luthier or a someone skilled with fine woodwork do it)
Drill into the string holes, from the rear of the bridge, with a very thin drill bit at a very slight angle downwards, so that the front of the holes are now slightly larger and slightly deeper. You then plug the upper part of each hole, only at the front of the bridge with some filler. You can then still tie the strings on as usual, but the strings will then be forced to come out at a slightly downward angle as they come out of the hole, and the action will be lowered.
It sounds a bit drastic, and I'm not sure if it would work but a luthier friend of mine said he did it once with success- it makes some sense as one option to lower the strings without replacing the entire bridge, but it would be a job requiring a lot of bitty work and care! regards, MW

Go To Top