Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Celebration of NEA Folk Arts featuring Richard Hagopian and Zakir Hussain
maran
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 09:41 PM
A Celebration of NEA Folk Arts featuring Richard Hagopian and Zakir Hussain

This is interesting and unusual:

Richard Hagopian and Zakir Hussein will be performing in Dowtown LA this Sunday, August 24. It appears that the event is free.

Here's the info:
http://grandperformances.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/season_schedule.s...

It looks like the organization needs to get their facts straight though regarding the relationship of the ud to the European lute!
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 03:10 AM

...true, but then again, is it any less accurate than saying it's the ancestor of the European lute, as they usually parrot in these kinds of blurbs? Call me a pedant (some have) but I always think this description portrays the oud as somehow ancient, folksy and quaint, when in reality it's the oud that has arguably evolved more since the two parted ways way back in the 11th/12th century. And of the two, the oud is definitely the modern instrument, with luthiers constantly making really pretty cutting edge innovations. On the other hand, the lutes played today are reproductions (as close as we can get) of styles from the 16th-18th centuries. I feel it's more accurate to say they both share a common ancestor.

Sorry to digress!

Go To Top