Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud teachers/institutes
Anoush
Oud Admirer

Mood: great!

[*] posted on 8-24-2008 at 01:35 PM
Oud teachers/institutes

Hi everyone!
I am applying for a undergraduate travel grant to study the oud in 3 different countries next year and I am thinking Turkey, Armenia, and either Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, or Tunisia. Those are the only countries I can choose from due to travel restrictions, and I would love to know if anyone knows of any good teachers or institutes in any of those countries. I've been studying for a year and spent some time in both Egypt and Yemen, so I have a little background but want to spend more time.
Thanks everyone!
Anoush
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 06:57 AM

Wow that's a great idea. I'm going travelling for a similar purpose but I can't really help you.
Good luck

Olivieri Christelle
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 07:31 AM
the restrictions are a serous obstacle for tou

I know great teachers in Algiers, Alep and France (Lebanese and syrian teachers), can you tell me what the travel restrictions are, if you do not mind, of course, thanks and good luck
Anoush
Oud Admirer

Mood: great!

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 12:02 PM

Thank you for the replies! Unfortunately, the restrictions for this particular grant are that you can't go to any country currently on the state dept travel warning list, which includes syria, iran, iraq, algeria, sudan, yemen, and most other good oud places. so the only good oud countries left are armenia, turkey, tunisia, morocco, egypt, and jordan.
oliviera, maybe your teacher in algiers would know of someone in morocco?
thanks everyone!
Michael
Oud Maniac

Mood: M'oud-y

[*] posted on 9-16-2008 at 02:36 PM

Olivieri, who do you know in Algiers that you recommend? Do you have e-mail address/website? I've been thinking about visiting Algiers for oud lessons and to learn more about Algerian music.
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 01:14 AM

I might also be going to Alger some time early next year and would love to get in touch with your contact Olivieri. Michael, I used to live in Bristol and am back there fairly regularly.
shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 03:40 AM

There are some great oud teachers in Israel too. I"m sure you can get there from the States! In fact there is an international oud festival happening there in November. Don't forget, Israel has a 25% Arab population and probably at least 35% of the Jewish population are from Arab countries such as Iraq, Yemen and Morocco. There are excellent oud builders there and several schools that have oriental and ethnic music programs with Arab teachers. It is probably the most accessible country to study in because the resources are much publicized and open to all no matter what your nationality or ethnic background. In Jerusalem there is a school totally dedicated to the study of Eastern music, with programs focusing on the music of Iraq, Iran, Morocco, Turkey and of course the the countries with "traditional" Arab music such as Egypt and Syria. There are also a few conservatories in the Arab villages such as Tarshisha in the Galillee. There is also the Edward Said Conservatory in Palestine. Good luck
ALOMARI
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 03:55 AM

i don't know of any good institutes in jordan if anyone knows ones please advise, as for egypt you can't go wrong with that , try the arabic oud house by shamma , they actually give you a degree to be an oud teacher , i tried to locate the website link with no luck ,so i'm sure some fine people at thsi fine site will help you with the link.
shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 08:35 AM

Why don't you join the Arabic Music Retreat group on Yahoo. It's run by Simon Shaheen. Sakher Hatar (spelling?) taught there last year. I believe he head of the oud department at the conservatory in Amman. He was an awesome theory teacher and oud player.
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-18-2008 at 11:00 PM

Hi,

No offend to any body or nationality and this is my persoanl experience.

I highly recommand to study in turkey more than any where els in middle east. And that for three reasons. First, in my opinion, if you play turkish style in oud, then you can play any style in the middle east because in turkey, they use very advance playing techniqs. Second, they have the best oud makers, that very good indication that they have very good oud players. Third, As far as i know they have so many music institutes in turkey. While the other countries you will find individual teachers here and there and if you are lucky then you might meet a good, honest teacher.

Thanks
Michael
Oud Maniac

Mood: M'oud-y

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 12:30 PM

Hi DaveH

I used to live in Birmingham!!! Went to university there in the '80s.

If you're in Bristol regularly then I'd be happy to hook up and do some ouding.
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 01:31 PM

And of course we shouldn't forget from the list the music seminars of Ross Daly in Crete every summer.Masters like Yurdal Tokcan , Necati Celik , Shamma ,Taisser Elias etc were there for teaching.So you could combine summer vacations with ouding :)

the link for the seminars here
http://www.labyrinthmusic.gr/laby/index.php?option=com_content&...

Nikos

Go To Top