Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Zaman al wasl forums
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-21-2008 at 10:39 AM
Zaman al wasl forums

Forever I've been wanting to get on to these forums, they contain so much knowledge that is so hard to find. It especially frustrates me when I see all the recordings of iraqi maqam that I cannot access.

The only way to register is to be invited by an existing member or write the administrator and tell him who you are and convince him you shuold join the forums. I wrote once before and got ignored, I think my chances as an israeli jew are not so high. Is there anyone here who is also on those forums that could help me get in or at least share some of the great timeless music that I can't listen to?..
Yaniv

cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-22-2008 at 07:35 AM

Yaniv,

I had a similar problem on these forums. I am actually of Iraqi descent and about a year ago I wrote the admin a long E-mail, telling him that I play oud and wanted to study the maqamat of Al-Quebbantchi as well as hear the rarer recordings of Nathem Al-Ghazali. Fortunately, I got access. I explored the forums and bookmarked interesting topics for about a week and then school made me really busy for about a month and I hadn't visited the forums. Without any hesitation my account was terminated. I've E-mailed the admin twice since then explaining why I haven't been participating in the forum, but both times I was completely ignored. It's just such a shame because it really does seem like the perfect place to learn about Iraqi maqamat. I also have some Al-Quebbantchi and Al-Ghazali recordings on reel-to-reel that I wanted to share on the forums but never had an opportunity to do this.

I understand where the admin is coming from. It's probably difficult to think one could run a forum on a mid-east subject and not have controversy in every topic. But if only these people could stumble across a wonderful forum like this one! Most everybody here is very down to earth. I've only once come across somebody being outright rude and it wasn't welcome at all by our community. The internet has become the best museum of mid-eastern art, and it's a shame to discriminate people from learning.

Go To Top