Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help on tuning and strings!
oud-dude
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-21-2008 at 05:29 PM
Help on tuning and strings!

Hi, I'm new to the oud and to the forum. I just picked up a secondhand oud that came from the Gamil Georges shop (probably one of their low end models... I hope it's really a playable oud), and I don't even know what strings to buy or what tuning to use. In other words, I am a complete oudiot!

I am a competent guitarist, banjo and bass player, but this is all new to me. I love the oud, and want to learn to play a little. I've searched the web and found that there are several different tunings for this type of oud. Is there one that is most common for an Egyptian oud? And if so, where's the best place to order strings for that tuning? The oud I have is missing a couple of strings, so I can't even play with it to I decide on a tuning and get some strings.

Any help appreciated!
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 9-21-2008 at 10:54 PM

welcome to the forum dude- most all the info you are looking for can be found in the FAQs section:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6809 :)
patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 9-22-2008 at 01:15 AM

Welcome from another oud beginner. There's lots of useful advice and encouragement here. :)
oud-dude
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-22-2008 at 09:26 AM
This forum is awesome!

Thank you MatthewW and Patheslip... I guess I probably don't need to bother folks with beginner info, now that you have pointed me in the right direction! Thanks a lot. I can see now that there is tons of info here to help me get started.

This is the first time I have ever joined a forum, too, so finding my way around the site is a new experience. But it sure seems like there's a lot here to help people like me.

Cheers

Go To Top