Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Got an eye for GAMIL GEORGES ouds?
oud-dude
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-22-2008 at 12:47 PM
Got an eye for GAMIL GEORGES ouds?

Hi, oud friends...

I just bought this Gamil Georges oud off CraigsList, and am wondering if this is a playable oud for a beginner, or just a Middle Eastern souvenir.

I have looked at other ouds for sale that I thought were really not playable... they looked suitable for decorations and that's all. This one had the Gamil Georges name and a little history, and looked fairly well made. I know it's tough to tell, but can anyone guess by looking whether I will be frustrated trying to learn a little oud on this instrument?

The person I got it from bought it in Cairo at the Gamil George shop in 1999. As part of her undergraduate program in Middle Eastern studies she was required to take a semester of oud! (all I got to take in college was organic chemistry). She said it was not very expensive.

I bought this for $75, and hope it is something to start with. The forum only lets me attach one photo, so I will post separately a couple of others.

Thanks!
oud-dude
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-22-2008 at 12:52 PM
Another photo

Here's another photo of my Gamil Georges oud.
oud-dude
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-22-2008 at 12:54 PM
One more photo

Here is one last photo of my Gamil Georges oud.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-22-2008 at 01:59 PM

Of course you can learn on this!!
provided the action is playable and the pegs hold the strings, you should get a new set of strings because the ones on there are probably not so good. looks like your missing some to :D
Otherwise, it is a perfect beginner instrument.

75$ thats a deal my friend. Enjoy your stay on the forums.

nice bowl to :) looks like palissandre, paduk and sycamore combination.

you should know however that this gameel georges is not one that was made by the deceased and sought after maker but rather his son who is aging but still living in egypt.
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 09:05 AM

If you have a problem with the strings holding, try some violin peg compound... It really does a good job of helping the peg keep tension...

Pretty oud -- I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Chris Walters
oud-dude
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-23-2008 at 12:19 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. Yes, the strings are really old and I have ordered some Pyramid strings. Pegs seem to hold well, though, but if it doesn't with the new strings, I'll try some of that violin peg compound.

I am guessing that the action is okay. Maybe a little low if anything. But all I have to go on is my experience as a guitarist. I don't think it ever had constant string tension on it because the previous owner didn't play it for long. The neck sights nice and straight.

I know it's not one of those collectible Georges ouds! It's really not of the highest quality... the finish work is kind of sloppy in some places. I am just glad to know that you think it is playable. So I'll string it up and give it a try! Even with the old strings on it it seems to be very resonant.

Thanks for identifying the wood on the bowl, Samir. Very interesting to know what what it's made of. I was glad to get a cheapo to start on. I've been looking for a while, but just couldn't spend much on an instrument without knowing how I'd do on it. I hope that being a guitar player (who is so used to frets) will not be a disadvantage when learning oud! If I catch on, I'll surely be reading all the threads about a better instrument down the road!

Thanks!

Go To Top