Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Avoiding finger sliding sound?
Amer
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-27-2008 at 01:51 PM
Avoiding finger sliding sound?

I'm not sure if this was ever discussed here, tried searching around but can't seem to find any info..

How can I avoid the -whissing- sound produced by moving the fingers over the strings?

I sometimes listen to oud tracks with almost no noticeable whiss.. Been wondering if there's a way to reduce that :shrug:
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-28-2008 at 03:58 AM

Hi Amer!

If you press your fingers to hard on the heck of the oud you will produce thig "dragging" sound. If you have, for exhample, a fork and you pres it hard on your plate & move it, you will have all the people around making faces because of the squicky sound you'll produce.

Just lower the pressure of the fingers. Also the thumb!

In the other hand, sometimes the new strings do "this". And also, sometimes this is not a big deal. I heard some recordings with "this" sound, and it is OK.
dubai244
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-28-2008 at 11:25 PM

Hi Amer,

Marina had explained very well to you ....

I would like you to record an example, so i can give you the right answer. because some time "dragging" sound represent a romantic music or playing style. For example, indian music, all what they do, they drag the tones as much as they can to represent the indian style. Turkish playing style, some time they use dragging to represent "sensitive feeling". And some time, it is just a noise if you dont how to use properly. And it depends how fast you do it and how you do it and when you do it ... !!

Thanks
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 9-29-2008 at 08:56 PM

Hi Amer,

In addition to the information from Marina and dubai244 -- what you hear on any given recording could be the result of several variables: Mic placement and the types of microphones used, equalization during mixdown or mastering, the recording console and digital (or analog) recorders electronics can have a lot to do with whether string noise is more or less apparent. Just another angle. Take care.

Regards..Paul

Go To Top