Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sukar Electric Oud - First Impressions
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 02:40 PM
Sukar Electric Oud - First Impressions

OK, so I bought this oud

I've been playing it for about a week... Here are my initial thoughts...

1. There is NO FEEDBACK (which is a major reason why I bought it) - Even standing right next to the amp with the volume turned way up, there is no feedback... Also, it's really loud... I can get the volume much higher than on my piezio'd and mic'd accoustic....

2. If you compare an electric guitar with an accoustic one.. the difference in the sound quality is about the same.

3. Currently running it through an RP-150 Digital Effects Processor to get a more 'natural' sound.... And it's really fun to kick on the distortion and play old Black Sabbath tunes :)) While the processor does a good job of making it sound more accoustic... It can only do so much... I think you are better off playing through an oud that has piezio pickups and a good mic to get a more authentic sound.

But if you're playing with other instruments, it's not terribly noticiable. I bought it to play at the Renn Faire where we'll be outside for four shows a day Saturday and Sunday for 7 weeks... So I was concerned that I would just trash my accoustic ouds playing in all sorts of weather... Also, I need to be able to plug in and play... so I may not have time to tweak the PA before every show... So while I take a hit in overall sound quality, I'm able to achieve a level of consistency for performance.

I should have some music files to share soon from our gig at the Renn Faire... so I'll try to get those up sooner rather than later...

Chris Walters
Donjis3
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 07:49 PM

Thx to you Chris!
I'm expecting mine this incoming wednesday..I cant wait to try this thing boughted for almost the same reason ....mainly for to be able to practice trought the night time with processor and headphones......Q: how is thy action...similar or ?So thx again for the tip!
would love to ear that if you can!

gratitude,Don!:)
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 09:36 PM

I'm really happy with the action on mine... It's similar to my newer Sukar oud... nice and low... so it's really easy to play... I don't think he did as good a job on the headstock though... it looks rougher than either of my two acoustic ouds... But I played for the Bellydancers tonight for about 4 hours and didn't fall out of tune...

Strings that come with it sucked... so I would replace them immediately....

Don, when you get your's I'd really like to hear your thougths as well. I'm pretty new to the instrument (4 months) - so there is sooo much I don't know...

Chris Walters
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 03:43 AM

I am having my electric one built at the moment, but am very pleased to hear what review you have put up here so far Chris!

I too am getting an electric oud mainly to play with a set of headphones at night whenever I want. (And of course, the ability to plug directly into an amp!)

I wanted to know, how is the overall construction for the Sukkar electric model? Are you also pleased with a Bashir style bridge instead of a fixed one? (I personally did not want this model simply for the fact that it was Bashir style). Also, are the pegs ebony? Either way, it definitely seems that you got a great deal out of this!

:buttrock:
GeorgeK
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 06:25 AM

Great thread!

Can you tell me where you purchased your Oud? I suffer from "lack of practice time" and this will help me practice at night when everyone else is sleeping.

Thanks.
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 06:39 AM

eBay; it is currently going for $599, but you should message the merchant and offer $499. Comes with a hard case too. They sell the exact same thing online on their website for $799, so eBay would be best bet.
Alan-TX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 08:38 AM

What amp are you using? If live next to a Guitar Center and are curious take it in and try the Fishman Loudbox.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fishman-Loudbox-Performer-Acoustic-Comb...

I know it's not an accoustic oud but I am wondering if the speaker setup and processing in the amp would get a more accoustic sound.
GeorgeK
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 09:00 AM

Thanks Nadir.

Do you know where I can get one with a fixed bridge?
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 09:37 AM

On an electric oud i dont think there would be a difference in the sound of a fixed or floating bridge.
actualy even with a fixed bridge the strings pass on top of pickup bar so it becomes a short floating bridge.

Also, since there is no soundboard, the force on the wood base ( either downward force or pulling away force) doesnt have much effect on the thick solid peice of wood.

I also played a Sukar electric.
I would agree with Christian
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 09:53 AM

I'm using a Behringer K450FX PA and Keyboard Amp for small gigs/practices and then we're running it through a 1600 watt PA at the Faire.... (which is really overkill, but lots of fun)
Electric oud is first run through an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI (It doesn't need it, but it's easier to switch from Electric oud, to Piezio Mic'd oud if I need to on stage) then the rig is run into a Digitiech RP-150 Effects processor. I tried the Boss Acoustic Simulator stomp box and it gave a really nice tone... except for the high end hiss... And the hiss was bad enough that I couldn't live it... So I took it back and got the Digitech... It has a Dreadnaught Guitar setting and lots of pre-sets that you can tweak... So if I remember right, I've got the EQ running, Coil setup as single humbucker, a little compresson, a little reverb, EQ with more on the Bass and Mids, and then the 'amp' setting on Acoustic Guitar... I've been trying to get this sound and while I'm close, I haven't found it yet... He's got more twang... Perhaps changing strings over to Pyramids might make a difference... (I've got Aquilla strings on it right now... which tend to sound more 'earthy' in my opinion - so maybe that would make a difference)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRn_1NttpfQ

The overall construction is solid... But lets face it, it looks like a toilet seat on a good day.... The wood seems to be put together well... The finish is OK... It's not as nice as the finish on the back of either of my two acoustic Sukar ouds... but he didn't do a bad job with it either... If your expectation is that it has a sweet finish like you'd find on an electric guitar, you will probably be dissapointed... But they didn't do a crappy job either... That's the body though... The fingerboard is top notch... level and smooth... quality is as good as either of my acoustic ouds...

The pegs are NOT ebony... but I haven't had any problem with them staying in tune (and I haven't even hit them wiht Peg Dope yet so I'm pretty happy)

The actual pickup/floating bridge was not attached... Meaning it was there and wired up and everything, but would 'float' around... The strings didn't put enough tension to keep it firmly in place. Perhaps this is so you can adjust the scale length or maybe it was an oversight... Regardless, after a couple of times where it moved on me mid song... it got glued into place... And I just happened to find that scale length that was perfect for my fingers... so it all worked out once I got over the fear of taking glue to my new oud.

I've never played a Bashir Style oud... So I can't compare the two... But I thought the method of attaching the strings was pretty neat... There are holes drilled into the face of the oud near that back that let the strings pass... then you have a cut-out on the back side that lets you tie in your strings...

One other observation - because it's a lot closer to me, it's a lot easier to play. I've been able to play a lot faster... And it seems to be making it easier when I pick up my acoustic oud as well...

I bought the oud off of Ebay from Palmyrami... I've had two good transactions with them so far... I would suggest to do a seach on the forums and read about them... There were some other members of the forum who had problems with them and i know they are tyring to change that perception... I don't know how many other folks on here have purchsed from them since then, but I have two positive transactions... So read up so you can make an informed decision. Also, in both cases I've also had them ship the ouds to me Overnight (about $100 extra) cause I don't trust UPS/FedEx/DHL not to trash my instrument.. And when the electric oud got here... The DHL van had a leak and the box was soaked... But there was so much foam padding wrapped around the case that nothing got through... So I've been pretty happy with thier service.

In terms of price -- I think I paid right around $450 for it.... But they had run this item through a couple of times priced at $500-600 range and then it went up without a reserve... I don't think I would be willing to pay more than $500-$600 for it... and certainly not $700-$800 -- At that point, you're too close in price to the Najarian ouds to not go that route... But at half the cost of a Najarian, it seems like a good deal.

Chris Walters
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 10:00 AM

Alan, I've hear nothing but good things about the Loudbox... I would love to hear your opinion on it... Unfortuanly, I think that if I buy anymore Oud related things that year my wife might kill me... I picked up the Berhinger PA cause it was cheap ($150) and loud - also, I didn't know what the acoustic oud would sound like through a 'rock guitar' amp... so the keyboard amp seemed like a safe choice... and it was pretty cheap... I think it will eventually go with a real acoustic amp though....

Chris Walters
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

Mood: Ajam Ushayran

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 11:18 AM

Hi Chris,
Got your messages re: the Sukar electric oud. Happy to respond.. first, here is a previous post where I wrote at some length about my electric oud:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6705#pid408...

I put Aquila nylgut (Turkish light) strings on it and got new pegs fitted also.
For effects I use a Pod XTLive, great unit, I think I'm just using a touch of EQ on it and some ambience/reverb.. very light touch.. of course you can get pretty wild too.. check out the Portal Taqsim here:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7176#pid445...
For amplification I'm using a Marshall AS50R acoustic amp.. very portable and warm sounding.. I'm very happy with it.

Of course the electric will never quite sound like a traditional oud.. which is why I bought a Haluk Eraydin (PBUH) acoustic oud and have barely played my Sukar since.. shame on me.. I'll pick it up again soon.. for the wild experimental stuff :airguitar:

I hope you very much enjoy your oud :)
Donjis3
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 09:46 AM

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-OUD-UD...

Great thread!

Can you tell me where you purchased your Oud? I suffer from "lack of practice time" and this will help me practice at night when everyone else is sleeping.

Thanks.

Hello Georgek!I'M from québec,Canada And above is a link to a Canadian Sukar seller! I'm waiting for a electric one from him this commin week i can tell you that this person is a very nice person to deal with and you could save on the boders fees as well,Gratitude,Don!
Oud987
Oud Maniac

Mood: Happy

thumbup.gif posted on 10-4-2008 at 02:18 PM
Wow

Interesting electric Oud!

I'm waiting for my "old African" Oud to arrive. It's strung with 4 single strings. Been about 10 days, it's coming from (Jerusalem?) I think, so it should be here soon.
Glissentarist
Oud Addict

Mood: cool

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 07:09 AM

This looks amazing. I've got a Glissentar, closer to my "home", the guitar, but nevertheless, intruiging instrument!

Cheers,
Roland
Donjis3
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 11:38 AM

Hello glesentartiist!

Here a interesting one to!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI6HbTzWQVU
Glissentarist
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Donjis3
Hello glesentartiist!

Here a interesting one to!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI6HbTzWQVU

He's great!

Cheers,
Roland
Glissentarist
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 11:48 AM

What kind of outar is that?

Cheers,
Roland
Donjis3
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-18-2008 at 02:35 PM

Hello again Chris!
So mine got in two weeks ago..I took the time to realy try this thing...First it's électric..being so thy acoustic tone is very hard to find..I tryd'it throucht varius amplifiers and straghtpipe thy rolland jazzchorus jc120 was the most realistycally closer that I could get ..no effects being used but reverb..it got me in to how a acoustic one should sound close enough to forget that it was électric ...on thy électric side though I'd say that it is what a électric gibson would to a acoustic one there is as much différences...I first plug'in a rolland gt-8 effects processeur with headphones wow...sustain sustain and sustain as much that It took a while to learn to deal with it ...but on thy émancipating of potientiality side it's just a fantastic instrument...when plug'in to marshall and others amp , one has to refigures all amps settings the brights and feebeacks are ommiprésent if thy oud volume is too high it's a very effective pickup and it pickups everything...even when amps settings are for examples high and mids cut down to 1/4 of their capacity while on the oud boths of tone volumes aare closed to the most bassy side...thy fist reflex is to choke the bridge pickup with the palm of my hand as i would do with a électric guitar anyways..the risha action is kind of hard to deal with because one would ear too much of thy ``CLICKING but it can be résovld with différent amps tuning...I realy apréciate the fact that one could volume split the 3 higher strings and balace them with the 3 bass one it has a some kind of a fading away that within échos effects tuning that is very intéresting...Overall ! it's électric...oud I'm very happy with'it...for thy traditional tone I préfer thy acoustic one.. but at thy price of it it's a very intéresting évolution and expirémentations...is limitless...ok! that is enough for now !and I agree with all that you spécified above in your comments....

;)in hoping that it could be of any help to you all,Gratitude,Don!

Go To Top