Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Musee- Cite de la Musique - Paris
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-29-2008 at 12:41 PM
La Musee- Cite de la Musique - Paris

This museum has a wide ranging and important collection of instruments - East and West. The website offers high resolution images of instruments in the collection for study by researchers - as well as museum drawings of the instruments for the benefit of luthiers - among other, many facilities. Great site.
http://mediatheque.cite-musique.fr
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 10-29-2008 at 02:32 PM

There is some interesting instruments in there. Amazing to see. Thanks for the heads up. The only drawback is that sometimes the website crashes on me. Not sure why.
gregorypause
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-30-2008 at 05:04 AM

They have a nice Georges Nahat oud.

It is also interesting to follow the development of instruments, like the guitar from the 16th century to the current times. Thanks for the link.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-30-2008 at 11:58 AM

Hmmm - it looks as though the link to the Museum collection of instruments previously posted no longer works! I have checked the Museum web site by another route and confirm that access to the 'catalogue of the collection' is not possible - at least at present.

There is a message on the site stating that "the permanent collections are closed to the public (museum re-organisation) until 03 March 2009 - only the temporary exhibits are open".

So perhaps the on-line facility to access data and images about the instruments in the collection is now also being re-organised? I may just have been fortunate in getting access a day or two before they shut down for maintenance. Pity - if that is the case - but something to look forward to for next year.
So, if you are visiting Paris, take note that the Museum is temporarily closed except for a current temporary exhibition Gainsbourg 2008.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-30-2008 at 12:37 PM

..... tried again with success!! http://mediatheque.cite-musique.fr/masc/
On the left panel click 'Collections du Musee' and then 'Instrument et Ouvres d'Art' type in instrument type (Mot-cle) or maker (facteur) etc. and click on the 'find' (Rechercher) button. Lets see for how long this works!
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 10-30-2008 at 05:44 PM

I think the website crashes a lot. If you stay patient, you can check back and see it working again.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-31-2008 at 06:25 AM

You are right Peyman - sometimes it works, sometimes not. Hopefully, this is something the Museum will fix.
Exploring the site in more detail, I was unable to determine if the Museum operates a retail outlet for sale of copies of listed plans, books and documents. For example I have working drawings, by Pierre Abondance, of the the Grobert guitar, cat. E 375 C 278 in the collection. This was purchased some 20 years ago from the publisher "Societe des amis du musee instrumental - du conservatoire national superieur de musique de Paris" The museum - as it is today - lists the drawing in its collection of documents but perhaps only retains a copy for reference?
Danielo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 04:58 AM

I just realised - it is possible to listen to my teacher playing on the Nahat ;)

http://mediatheque.cite-musique.fr/masc/?url=/clientbooklineCIMU/to...

("Instruments du Monde" section )

As an aside, I found on the Museum's webpage this 1779 Egyptian oud:

are you aware of any oud older?
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 10:40 AM

I heard they found a kind of lute in excavation of a pharaonic grave. But this is just a remember and don't have more information about, it may be wrong.

Go To Top