it looks like a faruk turunz.

but it could be a fake.
Jassim
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Player

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 08:57 AM

its fake oud not faruk turunz
i sow many oud makers try to copy and fake the ouds of the master faruk turunz

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
dubai244
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 11:14 AM

it seem to me it is fake oud. You can get the date of made from the label inside and check it with Mr.Faruk.

Thanks
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 01:19 AM

Yeah I'd say its a fake, it has all the characteristics of a Turunz, the rosettes, bridge and raqma, but the rigour and "love" are not there....You can tell how theres bits of plastic showing from the rosettes when they're clearly not ment to be exposed, and the poor way the purfling meets, especially on the small rosettes.
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 03:02 AM

Thank you Akram for bringing this issue to the Forums. It is a typical example to how a beauty can convert to a disgusting object at the hands of those :mad:who are trying to cheat people unconscientiously.
How can we assume those people who have no sense of feeling eshamed, to be just! No more comment!:buttrock:

Thanks to Melbourne, dubai244, Jassim and Samir Canada for their highy developed ability to distinguish my oud's characteristics:applause:

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
nizarrohana
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 03:28 AM

Hello Akram,
What does the label say? I could see Arabic letters there! :mad:
all the best
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 07:21 AM

Hey guys,

Wouldnt it be a fake only if the label inside was a fake Turunz label. Otherwise, this is just a poor replica or model based on Turunz design...no?

I dont think this maker is trying to pass it as a Turunz, but has definitely taken the design from him. Just claryfying some technicallities.

All the best,

James
Josh
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 11:02 AM

Quote:

it is not fake faruk oud becouse the lable is not farouk turunze

how come your asking who made it yet know who made it as you have read the label? I am confused by this thread? it looks like your trying to sell it or something? ...why not just say what label says or take a picture of it? is this a quiz or something...:shrug:
Jassim
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Player

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 11:18 AM

how can its not faruk turunz fake oud if he had Stolen the rosettes and the pickgard and evry thing?
its cheap way to cheat the custmers
way he dont make his own style for the oud?
why he take from famouse oud maker?
that is the way to fake the ouds
usta faruk take many years to build his name and some new cheap oud maker come and take it to cheat the poor players??
i dont like this way
and pls dont show us any more pic for this cheater maker

shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 05:13 PM

Yo guys...Akram never asked if was a Faruk Tunruz, he just asked if anyone knows who made the oud. It may be a very nice oud. I had a beautiful Turkish oud with no label. I bought it in a store in Istanbul and I am told it is typical that some store owners take the labels out so that you don't find the maker and buy it directly from him. There are many instrument builders that take designs from other builders, it doesn't mean they are stealing or trying to "fake" the instruments!!::(
nizarrohana
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 02:17 AM

I agree with Josh! Akram, why are you asking about the maker when you have the label in front of your eyes?
who ever made this Oud "tried to copy" Mr. Turnuz's Ouds and i think its not appropriate!
Akram, i think you owe every buddy on this forum the name of that maker!
Salam
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 03:49 AM
I sent U2U

Mr. akram, I sent you a U2U. Will you please read it and kindly fulfill my request. Thank you.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 07:00 AM

OK, I'll be the devil's advocate on this one.
Most importantly, I would stop the comparison to Turunz.
The face is beautiful. I have no problem with the purfling--it looks like a very nice job to me. It is very, very rare that you can't find the stop/start point on the purfling. I wish the extended fingerboard did not cover the outer ring of purfling, but that is being a bit fussy.
As for the bowl--
I don't like the way the outermost staves flare out, with the widest portion being just below the circular inlay at the base. You almost never see this on a professional oud. If you had a view of the side of the bowl, you would see that it would look somewhat strange. This is simply not how the oud is supposed to look.
Also, take another look at the staves in that shot from the bottom of the bowl. Look, particularly, at the sides of the mahogany staves. You will see that there is a ton of wood filler there. The joint was not great, so a glue and sawdust mixture was used to make the ribs come into contact with each other. Again, it doesn't look great.
Look as well at how some of the ribs at the base are wider than others. The purfling around the circular inlay looks a bit amateurish.
Sure, it's shined up real pretty. And it could be a very nice oud. I just think that you really can't compare it to the work of a master.

Josh
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 07:23 AM

Jonathon. I think the point is that it looks like it has been made with the specific aim to fool the less knowlegable that it is a Turunz oud as there are no obvious signs that the maker has attempted to make it look like an original instrument. Its a copy.. Also the poster has asked who made it, yet from his posted comments seems to already know who made it! that strikes me as a little odd!
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 11:39 AM

I agree with you Josh.
A Turunz oud is a masterpiece.
This oud is not. A discerning eye can see this--there is shoddy workmanship that Turunz simply would not allow. I understand that it is meant to fool--I simply meant to point out that the poor workmanship should tell people that it is not the real thing.
The whole thing stinks, and I hope akram tells us the details of the counterfeit.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 12:53 PM

One thing I would like to point out.
and anyone with a little experiance repairing or making ouds would recognize right away is that the copied aspects on this oud are the ''easiest'' to make.
the pickguard and rosettes are not the most complicated things to make on the oud.
but making the ribs join with precision is very complicated.

usta Faruk's ouds are beautiful in their simple yet elegant classic lines. This may have given the person making the copy that they could easily replicate his work but the workmenship details and precision cannot be matched.
Josh
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 01:01 PM

I hope Akram has the decency to say, and post a picture of the maker label
shareen
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 06:20 PM
Imitation is a form of flattery

Ok, here's my take again. Take the guitar, which I play. Take a Martin guitar for example...there are several very fine builders that have studied and copied the way Martins are built (the old classic ones). They copy the body shape, the purfling, the pick guards, just about everything except the logo on the headstock. Except, it's not a Martin. It may be an Olsen (costing $12,000) or a Collings (costing $4,000). But it's not a Martin. Millions of players love the tried and true design of Martin, but the new ones have gotten bad, so individual makers have cloned them and they are better than the new ones.

So what if someone copies your design, Mr. Tunruz. No matter how much they copy it, it's still not YOU and it will never be you. So let them copy. What do you care? If it doesn't have a fake label on the inside, then no one is stealing anything or trying to fool someone. They are just imitating. If it had a fake label, that's another thing. Then THAT is dishonest and stealing from you. :bounce:

Akram, you asked asked a question. So, what does the label say inside. There IS a label, yes? You can see it from the pictures. Is the label in English?
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 05:36 AM

shareen.

you hit the nail on its head brother. i know exacly what you mean. mr./ master Tunruz is a amazing person as i was told and so is his work. when i made my first riq i copied it from a kevork style but you could not compaire one with the other, well kevork sounds amazing , and mine um yeh leave it as that.( still working on it lol)
so as most of you said, just bc you copyed it , it does not mean its the instrument, no matter how hard you try. We are in the world of counterfit and there is nothing we can do about it. its shamful, but nothing we can do.

thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
akram
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 06:55 AM

sound sample
Josh
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 07:08 AM

Quote:

i know the oud is not fake oud, it is made to be arabic sound and like turkish size it was not meant to be like faruk oud

i dont understand why Mr abo alaa has made it look exactly like a faruk oud if its supposed to be an original piece unless it was made to order i guess? was it made to order with instructions to the maker to make it look like that?
shareen
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 08:06 AM
Faruk copy

How many contemporary builders make "Nahat copies"...Nazih, Shehata, everyone. Why is it ok for someone to copy a dead person's oud but not someone who is alive? Abu Alla is an exceptional builder and a gentleman. I think all who have insulted this oud without even playing it or seeing it in person owe him an apology. Arrogance and ego is a dangerous weapon folks.
Josh
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shareen
How many contemporary builders make "Nahat copies"...Nazih, Shehata, everyone. Why is it ok for someone to copy a dead person's oud but not someone who is alive? Abu Alla is an exceptional builder and a gentleman. I think all who have insulted this oud without even playing it or seeing it in person owe him an apology. Arrogance and ego is a dangerous weapon folks.

I think the problem arose because the original poster asked 'who made this oud' when all along they knew who made it.. why did the poster not say- 'said look at my Abu Alla oud' .. It is the poster who owes an apology I think
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 08:49 AM

Who are you shareen? Are you an oud maker who devoted his life to his art? Can you understand my feelings? Futhermore, what is your purpose: Are you cooperating in selling that "copy" and getting profit out of it?

I insult that funny looking copy and those disgraseful people involving in this clowning. I don't owe any thing to any one. You are evidently advocating such a disgraceful commitment and trying to supress people expressing their thoughts on the issue fairly.

Of course you will post reply to my words. You have already been pre-replied by these words of mine. You can defend yourself as much as and as long as you can. Even you can assoult and become abusive to me fearlessly. This is my last word: You are unjust and involving in a deception planned insidiously.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 11:08 AM

Mr. Turunz,

You are one of the greatest living oudmakers. Your ouds have a truly unique sound, an amazing accomplishment that is matched by few others, living or dead. No one can make an oud that sounds like yours--that is your "copy protection", if you will. I have played your ouds and I have played Abu Alla's. I hope to one day own one of your ouds. I think you have no reason to worry, and you should not let this bother you. Here's why:

-This oud was not meant to deceive anyone or be represented as your work. Evidently, it was made to order, so the buyer knew the maker and at no point was there any confusion as to the oud's origins. The maker put his own label inside, which should eliminate any potential for future confusion. I have met Abu Alla, and he seemed a very kind and decent man. He ordinarily makes ouds of his own design, they are good instruments. Based on the information here, he seems to have merely fulfilled a request. I agree it is in poor taste to copy the rosette design of a living oudmaker. Many rosette designs are not attributed to a particular person, though, so he may have been unaware that this was your design. I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

-I think Akram meant no harm to anyone, he just wanted to see if anyone would guess that his "turkish-style" oud was made by Abu Alla. No other ouds by him look anything like this, so I think Akram merely thought it would be fun to surprise people. I really don't think there was any intention of deceiving people or leading people to believe it was your work.

Like Shareen indicated, a luthier's quality is what's important, not the superficial aspects of the design. It is impossible to duplicate the work of a great luthier. As long as there is no one is being deceived, I don't think that copying visual aspects merits this degree of disgust, though I understand a feeling of contempt. Nahat, Manol, Georges, etc., have all contributed to the design and evolution of the oud. Some of their innovations have become part of the tradition, and everyone copies them. Perhaps you could talk to Abu Alla and let him know that it bothers you to have your designs copied and to please not do it again. If he agrees, then he is an honorable man. If he refuses, then you are justified in your contempt, though I still feel you should waste your time and energy with anger.

Best Regards,
Brian

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top