Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Oud that doesn't arrive from epalmyra.
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 03:57 AM
Oud that doesn't arrive from epalmyra.

Hello,
I bought oud from epalmyra in eBay.
The oud has not arrived though passes two months or more.
I finished paying with PayPal on August 20.

I E-mailed epalmyra this situation.
He has replied as waiting a little more.
I exchanged E-mail several times with him until now.

He said in September that he would send oud of second.
He has replied on September 27 that oud of second was sent by air.

Oud has not arrived yet.
Is there a similar experienced person?
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 04:25 AM

Dear Mitsugu San,

You have been very unlucky with your oud purchases in recent times and I am very sad to hear of this latest problem.

I suggest that you put in an immediate claim with Paypal. You have been very patient, but I do not think you should delay any longer.

Sincerely,

Greg
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 06:55 AM

Hi Greg San,

Thank you for advice and the opinion.

Of course, I reported on this matter to PayPal.
However, the complaint did not arrive at the dispute by the thing within 45 days.
It might have been his aim.
If possible, I want him to repay it.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 08:39 AM
Palmyrami/Epalmyra

Hello Tsugumi-
Quite a few members have had less than satisfactory experiences with this dealer. They were also known by the name of Palmyrami/Palmrami but same people and apparently same problems. I once bought one of those Sukkar fiber cases from them, on ebay. it took over two months for the case to finally arrive, and only after I took the issue up with Paypal and made a claim against them ( I didn't like the quality of the case anyway once it did arrive and sold it).
I would not buy from them again. Some members may have had good luck with these sellers, but too many have not. here are two threads on them, there were more threads I think but I can't seem to locate them.
Hope you get things sorted out with them, keep us informed.
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7560#pid474...
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8161#pid519...
Samer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 02:45 AM

Dear all,

First of all, the buyer above is located in Japan, I shipped his item twice by international post office, I have also scanned and sent him the receipt and I will post it here shortly.

He had bought from me in the past and got his item on time but this time it seems like there is a delay in shipping.

Give me the names of the too many unhappy buyers Matteww ? if you were not happy with the case why did not you return it ? I offer full refund for anyone who likes to return, Many buyers from this forum bought from me and had a very good experience. Also many buyers chose to return their item and I did give them full refund, some buyers got ouds with a very minor scratch and I did exchange it for them.

Anyways my feedbacks on ebay speaks out for my busniess and my performance as a seller.

Buyers always blame shipping delay or damage on the sellers while sellers have no control over it. Buyers choose cheap shipping option then blame the delay on buyers, Christopher Walters bought two ouds from me and PAID FOR OVERNIGHT SHIPPING so he got his oud in 24 hours.

the day I got the payment from tsugumi We packed his oud and shipped it to Japan. after one month he claimed that he did not get it, so I shipped him another ONE at my own cost and sent him the receipt what did I do wrong ? I think %99 of the sellers would do what I did yet he is not happy.

I could have shipped it with DHL or Aramex but cost is over $250 to ship the oud and the buyer was not willing to pay that much.

Anyways, lets allow a week or so if you don’t get your oud I will give you a refund and close this case.

Regards,

Epalmyra
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 01:06 PM

It seems like there are bound to be more problems when you attempt to buy an oud from out of country.

In terms of the seller's responsibility... I expect them to buy insurance and pass that cost along to the buyer OR they need to be willing to eat the cost of the item... In the case above, is it even possible to insure items sent from the US to Japan via international post? If so, was the package insured? IF Mitsugu-san chose to have it shipped for the cheapest option and without insurance, I would imagine that he assumes at least part of the risk.

In terms of Epalmyra's reputation - Here is a post by Cooper where he had a problem with a Qanun that he bought and it was resolved to his satisfaction... Ie, the damaged qanun was replaced and he was refunded the shipping costs.... HERE

The ability to get a decent Oud in the US without spending a lot of money is pretty limited. I am glad Palmyrami is around since they sell good ouds at good prices. I think that before we all jump to conclusions and assume that Samer is out to scam people out of their $$$, we need to look at all the facts.

I would recommend to ANYONE buying an oud through the post to make sure that you have the ability to TRACK THE PACKAGE from start to finish.... I'm not saying that you should be like me and pay for the overnight shipping, but I got both my ouds in good shape... and if there HAD been a problem, I would have been able to deal with it quickly.

Chris Walters
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 01:12 PM

Also, if you have a tracking number, it's really hard for the company to lose the package... not so with the post. And if they do, I imagine it's far easier for the shipper to be paid for the damages.

Chris Walters
Samer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 04:22 PM

Thanks Chris, the problem with the post office that they don’t offer on line track able number. In other words there is a tracking number but it can’t be tracked on line, I shipped two ouds so far and the Japanese post office confirmed the numbers but they said it has not got to Japan yet, that’s what I understood from the buyer.

other method to ship overseas is by DHL or Fedex but cost will be around $300, I don’t think buyers are willing to pay that much, but from now on I’m thinking not to accept to ship anything but with DHL or Fedex, I have had enough headache.

If you anyone here has tried another shipping method I’m willing to try it.

Many members have bought from me recently and had a pleasant experience, few had problems and I was able to fix their problems in a timely manner.

Regards,

Epalmyra
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 08:55 AM
Oud that breaks and arrived

Hello,
oud arrived but・・・
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 08:57 AM

tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 08:58 AM

tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 08:59 AM

tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 09:04 AM
I contacted the seller.

My email to seller

"Bud news,
It was broken though oud had arrived around 9:00PM last night.

The mail clerk came by as many as three people though the delivery was not done at such time usually.
In one, the delivery member and the other two people were special official in charge.

My oud was judged a suspicious thing in the customhouse and investigated thoroughly according to their explanations.
Because musical instruments were broken, the official in charge said me though it was judged by the customhouse member that it was not a suspicious thing in that case coming directly to report.

And, they said to me, "You are not good at any compensation for damages of a Japanese post office because it was an accident before it entered Japan in case of this time".

What should I do?
How could you think about this situation?

Regards,
Mitsugu
P.S. Oud was shipped not by air but by ship."

Regards,
Mitsugu
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 09:09 AM
Reply from seller

The following replies

"Hi,

at least u got the oud and u see I was not lying as you said.

Regarding the damage, I don't think the customs were right.

the oud was very well packed as you saw and I'm sure the customs caused the damage.

You should file a claim to them, I would never ship a damaged oud !!

I think you should file a claim to the post office cause you were the one who caused the damage.

How would you like me to help you to fix this.

Regards,

Epalmyra"

Regards,
Mitsugu
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 11:27 AM

The same old story.....
It 's a very complex affair to get an oud by shipping, from a country to another one.
Different shipping company , customs.....
I had the same sad story from Swiss to France last summer....
I know how disappointed we are in such a moment, sorry for you, Tsugumi, and good luck for the ending of this story....
Many threads in the forum recently pointed this fact : What must be done to avoid these failures?
At first, the sellers must be informed ( must self inform ) of laws concerning shipping in each country, so they can prevent rather than searching who failt after time. Selling and shipping musical instruments ( fragile like ouds ) is not a simple job. The only guaranty the seller can offer is his serious and thorough.
Most of problems and damages wouldn't appear in these lines if everything is well considered before shipping....from a country to neighbour one, from a side of the the world to the other side....
Sellers , by doing or not this first job, get the reputation they worth....
Samer often seems to not understand why I don't consider him as a sure seller....but his business is frequently present in the forum and not always for the best....
But he wants to help......may be this will help him first, I want to believe this...
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 02:28 AM

dear Mitsugu San,
it is very sad to hear that your oud arrived damaged, I'm sure we all know how you feel. I hope you are able to have a happy ending to this by receiving another oud, or a full refund so you can buy one somewhere else if you wish.
I have had 3 ouds shipped to me, from Turkey, from Lebanon, and from Egypt. Each one arrived by air, with no problems. Each oud was packed well and with the hazards of travel in mind. Though ouds arrive damaged to members from time to time, they actually arrive safely much more often. In many cases, but not all, if the oud arrives damaged it might be due to bad packing by the shipper.
May I ask some questions please:
it would be interesting if you could tell us how your oud was packed. was it in a good case, well padded box, etc?
When you bought your oud, were you under the impression that it was going to ship by air, or did Epalmyra tell you it was going by sea/ship?
Did you have it insured with them? let us know how things turn out.
regards, MW
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 05:17 AM

Dear MatthewW San

I answer your question.
The cardboard material of thinning was used for packing.

And, a hard case was firmly covered with the packing material (Refer to the photograph).
The side of a hard case had been suppressed with a small cardboard material in
the packed box.

I was not being told by the seller whether the shipment was by air or
by ship.

Because the seller had not said anything about insurance, I had forgotten it.

Regards,
Mitsugu
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 09:21 AM

Just so you know

Insurance is there to protect the SELLER. It is up to the SELLER to ensure that the oud arrives safely.

Also in America the SELLER must file a claim when something is damaged in the mail not the person who receives it.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 10:23 AM

dear Mitsugu San,
Jason has a good point about the insurance, it will protect the seller as well as help the buyer if a problem arises. The seller should ask the buyer if he/she would like insurance, especially with a fragile item like the oud, and when it is travelling so far, from USA to Japan. In my opinion the seller should have made it clear to you that it was coming by sea/ship as well, and not by air, and all without insurance and ask if this is OK with you.
I am under the impression from what you said this was not done?

From the photos you posted it seems that though the oud was in a case, extra packing material might have helped protect your oud while in transit. I think many will agree that packing an oud in a case alone sometimes is not enough for shipping, and as an example the ouds I bought came with plenty of good packing material around the hard case.
I know this hard fiber case you bought, and an oud fits really snugly in the neck/pegbox area exactly where the damage is strongest in your photos. Extra packing material around this case would have softened any jolt to it in while in transit, assuming this is where the damage occured. It may be a hard case, but I think long distance shipping requires that extra care and attention.

No one likes to place blame here or there, with this seller or with that person, with customs or the shipping company, for many times we can't be sure about some facts.
However in your case ( no pun intended) the seller should have asked you if you wanted insurance, that the oud was going by ship, and maybe put extra packing material around the fiber case.

I notice the seller also said that as soon as you sent your payment, he shipped an oud straight off to you, and then another one after a month:
" ...the day I got the payment from tsugumi We packed his oud and shipped it to Japan. after one month he claimed that he did not get it, so I shipped him another ONE at my own cost and sent him the receipt..."

This is interesting, for when I was waiting for my hard case which I bought from them via ebay, I was told one was shipped, to please wait for it. It never came and only after I took the issue up with Paypal they shipped me another one. I have had many things shipped to me from different countries over many years , and this was the very first time something went missing in the post, and it was a large object as well. So if he shipped you two ouds, then someone out there has your missing oud and my missing case to put it into.:shrug:
Perhaps Chris has had good experiences with Epalmyra, and this is great, every member in this forum ought to be able to say the same, that they have had a postive experience with whomever they dealt with. maybe one day.
Mitsugu San, if you paid with Paypal, can they help you with any claims?
regards, MW
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason
Just so you know

Insurance is there to protect the SELLER. It is up to the SELLER to ensure that the oud arrives safely.

Also in America the SELLER must file a claim when something is damaged in the mail not the person who receives it.

My experience of international shipping is the opposite of what you are suggesting Jason. In my business, over many years, I have imported millions of dollars worth of products from Germany, China and the USA. I regularly export products to countries such as New Zealand, Singapore, China, India and Indonesia.
In the commercial world of import/export, the shipper normally takes no responsibility once the product has left the warehouse. In all my dealings, the insurance has always been the responsibility of the receiver. Of course, such insurance is regularly organised by the shipper, but usually at the expense of the receiver.

One should never purchase goods that are to be transported unless the matter of insurance is discussed and agreed upon (in writing), between the seller and the buyer.

I should add that I have never received a product that was seriously damaged in transit. That is not only due to good luck. It has to do with how professionally the products are packed.
I have imported several ouds and, in every case, the instrument was shipped in a robust plywood case with internal bracing. It is wise to expect that goods will be thrown, dropped and possibly stacked under tonnes of other goods. If the packaging can not withstand that sort of treatment, your precious instrument will be at serious risk.

Note: It would appear that Sukar oud cases have a design flaw that may well have been the cause of this particular breakage. The flaw is discussed here:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8261#pid532...

Greg
Josh
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 02:55 AM

I think commercial import/export insurance may be different. In my experience in the UK its as Jason says, the SELLER has to buy the insurance and make the claim if it goes wrong NOT the BUYER. It really is down to the seller to pack the goods properly, just a hard case with a bit of soft foam around it is asking for trouble! I briefly worked at a DHL sorting depot so I know how parcels are 'handled'
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 03:23 AM

The matter of PayPal did not arrive at application because the date for the dispute had passed.
I said that I did the dispute to epalmyra several times in PayPal.
However, epalmyra replied to me several times , saying that "Please wait a little more".

I went to the post office to discuss this matter again the other day.
Mail clerk's answer was not yes but no.
So that he may say"As for this package, insurance was not put by the one that
was called sal mail. "

The mail clerk : at the end. 「Because it will cost money very much even if it repairs in damage that only that is awful, the re-discussion is requested. However, it is about 15000 yen($154.54) that the post office pays to you even if becoming a great result because of the discussion. 」

Regards,
Mitsugu
PS: Stickers etc. of musical instruments or FRAGILE were not pasted to the package at all. There was not an invoice either.
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 03:54 AM

I ordered last year such a "hard case" from Palmyra and I receipt it broken......You can easily imagine the result if an oud stays in...!!!
I'm still waiting now for the ending of this affair.......so, after the bad experiences we talk about in this thread, we must say that this is a current attitude from Palmyra.
I wish one day it's possible to trust him, It would be better for everyone and would avoid a lot of unpleasant "surprises"....
Regards and good luck with the ending,
Francis
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 06:29 PM

There is a design flaw perhaps. I have a handful of those cases.
but the only thing that could have done this to the neck is a sledge hammer to the top of the case or a 20 foot drop. The case in the picture looks fine so... maybe someone took the oud out of the case and did something to it.

Tsugumi: if the case is ok and the oud is broken... then someone from customs or from the shipping company took it out and broke it. what about the cardboard box the case came in? was it damaged too? That will tell you that the shipping company mishandled the items.

Greg is right, insurance is almost always the responsibility of the importer. unless otherwise discussed. It is the responsibility of the importer to request a copy of the shipping invoice and insurance proofs before allowing the goods to leave the country.

choosing the slowest and cheapest shipping method is risky especially when covering long distances.
It seems that Palmyrami informed Tsugumi that the safest method would be by air as he had recommended to another customer.

I am not picking sides here at all. I wish people would learn from stories like this and conduct their business wisely. Customers importing goods have responsibilities and should protect themselves when importing goods.
I hope you find a good solution to this Tsugumi. Good luck.
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2008 at 11:59 AM

I have two of the cases and while there is some flex to the case, I would expect to see it cracked not snapped in half. to see a break like that I think it should have deformed the aluminum strip along the outside of the case at least. Is the case damaged? It looks intact from the picture you posted... but not enough to be clear....

If not, then I susupect that someone in customs broke the instrument out of cruelty.

Chris Walters
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top