Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Oud on the Way!
Kilo
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 06:20 PM
New Oud on the Way!

Hello everyone -

I just purchased a Sukar oud from Samer's epalmyra eBay auction a few moments ago. I'm very much looking forward to its arrival and to conversations with you fine folks here.

Samer, if you need any additional information from me, please let me know! I'd appreciate your dropping me a line when you ship it -- I sent you the money via PayPal this evening as well.

Can't wait to get started!

Best regards.
Keith "Kilo" Watt
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 07:40 AM

Congrats and welcome to the Sukkar Owner's Club ;-)

Please tell us a bit about yourself....

Chris Walters
Oudism
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 10:10 PM

Congrats, play it in good health:xtreme:
Kilo
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 11:17 AM

Hello Chris and Oudism -

I am mostly interested in medieval music, though of course there isn't quite the huge diversity of pieces in medieval music that there is in Middle Eastern or Renaissance music. I have mostly played hammered dulcimer up until recently, but I've not been able to play since our baby was born -- my only free time is when she's asleep, and I can't play then! Having a more portable (and somewhat quieter) instrument will let me play a lot more. I do play guitar, but have never played a lute or an oud. I play recorder and flute and a number of other wind instruments (saxophones for jazz, etc.)as well, but not with medieval music very often.

I know this is anathema to many of the fine musicians here, but I'm actually more interested in medieval lutes than in Middle Eastern music -- though I find Middle Eastern music to be incredibly expressive. But since the very early lute was fretless, the oud is really the closest thing I can think of (short of having something custom made, which I can never afford). I'm a little concerned about trying to use a lute tuning on an oud, though. I don't want to damage it. But I think I will start a separate topic on that after I've done some more searching on the forum to see if the question has already been addressed.

I can't wait for the oud to arrive!

Take care,
Kilo
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 01:36 PM

Check with Jameel at Khalaf Oud... He sells strings and would prob. be able to help you put together a string set that will work well.. Expecially if you know the tuning you want to use.

The website is here: http://www.khalafoud.com/

Chris Walters
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 01:41 PM

Sure, don't be afraid about that, you won't damage your ud if you use a custom set of strings made for the tuning you wish.

Go To Top