Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Godin Glissentar
slovak75
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 07:53 PM
Godin Glissentar

Greetings all:D, I'm new here and not sure if this topic has been covered but, I have just purchased a Godin Glissentar after trying to learn on a cheap Ebay Oud which didn't work out too well. My questions are 1. Your thoughts on the Glissentar? 2. Is it strange to play the Oud with a guitar pick as I am a guitar player and it feels much more natural to do so? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 09:43 AM

congratulations ... keep us posted how YOU like it - more imprtant than how others like it ...

Why don't you try oud rishas and compare? Maybe you'll start playing guitar with an oud risha ;)

best wishes
Robert
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 10:30 AM

Hello Joe

I had played guitar for well over 20 years by the time I began to learn oud. Now my progress on oud is (to my ears) quite slow but my guitar playing has really fallen into place. I use risha on oud, it gives a very specific tonal characteristic that I can't get with a plectrum(I've tried) - but I was also very open to using the risha because I want to honour the oud and its qualities.

I am more of a fingerstyle player and oddly enough it is my fingerstyle that has been mostly affected !!! I think it is that using risha requires a very relaxed wrist and this has released tension in my fingers that I didn't even know I had - my playing has become lots more tonal and resonant as a result.

Maybe in another 20 odd years I'll be able to say the same about the oud:shrug:

However you could check out our own friend Katakofka's oud videos on this site - I think he uses a guitar plectrum and he has a really wonderful style.

Cheers

Leon
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 10:42 AM

her's a couple of his links from this forum:

http://mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8322

http://mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7832#pid49690

cheers

Leon
slovak75
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 01:37 PM

Thanks everyone:xtreme:! I find it easier to play with a guitar pick due to the fact that you don't reach around the side and pick as you a traditional Oud. It seems really hard to hold the risha and effectively pick when holding it like a guitar. That's just my two cents. As far as the Glissentar itself, I love the fact that it stays in tune very well! It sounds better unplugged in my opinion but, then again, most acoustic insturments do. For me it does the job as I'm just learning to play and hope to graduate to a real Oud in the future.

Thanks again

Joe
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 08:13 AM

Hi Joe, I'd be very curious to hear the sound of your Glissentar... Dou you have some sound files or youtube videos?

best wishes
Robert
slovak75
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 11:57 AM

Robert, At this point in my playing you would not want to hear or see me play......I'm not that good:shrug:. I have found a few clips on Youtube that demonstrate the Glissentar very well though. I will be sure to post some sound clips when I get a little better.

Joe
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 12:40 PM

Thanks anyway, I'd look into Youtube...

wish you fast progress, though good or not good might be not so important

best wishes
Robert

Go To Top