Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quality Arabic oud needed
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 08:42 PM
Quality Arabic oud needed

Hello All,
I need to get a quality Arabic oud. I studied this summer with Charbel Rouhana and he had a Fadi Matta that I liked, but I need advice on decent prices and good makers of Arabic instruments. I am not interested in Shehatas, they are beautiful but I want something a bit more heavy duty. Anyone have any ideas? Know anyone, have one for sale?
All the best and looking foward to hearing from all,
Amos

Our music is like an ocean...
Oudism
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 10:09 PM

Hello Amos
Do a search: fadi matta in the forum. I think he offers the best quality-price ouds not expensive like other makers (ghadban or Yaruub Fadel)
good luck
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 01:50 AM

I sell Kamil Mwez. (See the pictures in past posts)

900$ + shipping

3100 nis + shipping
akram
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 03:56 AM

mwez ouds are good arabic ouds with good sound
akram
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 06:00 AM

what about a turunz made for arabic sound and with an arabic scale lenght?

what about Nazih Ghadban's ouds? he is really on top of his game right now.

As for Maurice's ouds, you have to concider them to. I know you have had a bad experiance with one you bought from Zul.
you should concider one made with a good quality face. It will cost you more then his base models ouds but thing is... his customer list is really impressive and you could ask for one that is made indentical to Abadi el Johar's ouds.
Amer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 07:10 AM

I have had a nice experience with Mr. Shehata.. He's very professional, very honest, and he's a person I'm happy to have had the chance to know..
My friend and I asked for a oud identical to Abadi El Johar -check my post about it for pictures-.. It turned out better than we all expected..

Turunz ouds are supernatural, in engineering, fitting, finishing, and they sound great.. He's one oud maker I will one day get a custom oud from!

There are many great oud makers that my friends here mentioned, but these two makers will give you nothing less than spectacular!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 09:22 AM

Hey Amos,
I'll chime in on the sound of Kamil Mwez ouds, the ones I've heard were very good.
I also have to say that Sukar ouds have a classic Arabic sound and are pretty consistent and relatively inexpensive. The workmanship is not as clean as some other makers, but I've heard Sukar ouds that sound much better than ouds that are twice the price (not going to name makers here, but I think you may be able to guess).
Shehata, you are familiar with, the sound he goes for is a little different and may or may not be what you want. His workmanship overall is very good from what I've seen, and his prices are pretty reasonable vs. quality.
If you liked the Fadi Matta oud, maybe you should just try to find one of those?

Of course, Turunz ouds are in a class by themselves, not the classic Arabic sound, but a great and unique sound. I assume you know this and that you're looking for something else (or maybe just don't have $2000+ for an oud right now)

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 05:57 PM

Thanks guys, and by the way I certainly did not mean any disrespect to Shehata's craftsmanship, I know its excellent. I guess I just meant that I wanted something different. I wanted that to be clear, as I have played excellent ouds made by him.
Marina I will check your posts, thank you.
Of course Turunz is a great choice but you're right Brian, a bit rich for my blood right now.
Does anyone know how to get in touch with Fadi Matta and if he ships to the US? Thanks again for all of your advice and keep it coming if you have it...

Our music is like an ocean...
shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 09:11 PM

Hi Amos...Sharon from the Retreat here. I just went up to Montreal to catch Charbel in concert. Needless to say he was awesome. I have been in touch with him regarding ordering an oud from Fadi Mata. I still say that if we both order on and have him ship in the same box the shipping might be cheaper. I am still blown away by his oud. Shoot me a U2U. I just love that 7 course thing.
Samer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 03:24 PM

Hi,

I have Sukkar ouds for sale, Very reasonable price.

Check our website. its http://www.palmyrami.com

Take care,

Epalmyra
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 08:32 AM

Hi Amos

Have you tried Michael Moussa ouds? He is based in Yorkshire, UK. he makes exceptional ouds at very reasonable prices. He makes 6 and 7 course instruments which have a great tone with good bass and treble.
Please see threads on this forum.
Michael's contact details are:

email:mgmmoussa@yahoo.com or
http://www.magicstrings.co.uk

Kelly

Go To Top