Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Studying Sunbati's taqsim
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 12:28 AM
Studying Sunbati's taqsim

On listening and studying Riad el-Sunbati's taqsim I have made the following observation and would welcome others to respond with their findings/comments.
To begin with his "tarab" is outstanding and thats another story.
I have discovered that for the most part the flow and phrasing of his passages nearly always consists of moving directly through the order of notes in the maqam in either direction. Rarely does he not include an intervening note. i.e. in nahawand if he goes from 'g' to 'c' then 'a flat' and 'b flat' wil be included along the way either in the form of rapid ornamentation, bouncing off each other by way of 'pull offs' or 'hammer ons', or more deliberately struck. At any moment and on any note he will apply a felt accent thus creating an illusion and avoiding what could easily sound like a series of scale runs. I am experimenting with applying this approach to my own playing and have been delighted with the sense of freedom to be felt by way of always moving through the maqam and not jumping around in it. Of course there are phrases Sunbati plays where he jumps a 3rd or 4th in the scale but these are less common in his style. Moreover, its his tasteful selection of accents and ornamention during his motion "through" the maqam which, for me, makes this player a genius of the oud.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 03:31 AM

Hi Charlie- your observations of Sunbati's playing is very interesting. I have listened closely to his taqasims (as most of us have at one point or another) and also have been impressed at how he could say so much with a masterful economy of notes, intention and focus of playing, no frills or fancy flash, and with bags of tarab. Whatever Sunbati was doing, he was a genius and master at it, and observing his playing is a real education.
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 10:54 AM

Interesting thoughts Charlie, what I've noticed about his playing is that it's very almost straight forward, when he goes from a note for example middle D to C and then deeper and deeper with a smooth jump, the actual sound is deeper, not just the note. I think this is achieved by Risha technique and also not pressing as hard on the notes. Then again, it could just be his awesome Oud! I've also noticed he begins playing with a fast risha strike and then smoothly slows down just before he goes for a 'run' through the maqam.

As you can guess, I've used the word "Smooth" a few times, so I'd describe his playing as Smooth and straight forward (not in a bad way of course!). It's a pity there isn't more of his taqsim around. Don't forget though, he's also an amazing singer,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XtM52MfsL-k

^If anyone has the music sheet for this one, I'd love it! All I know is apparantly the peom is written by the same guy who wrote the poem for "Al-Atal".
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 11-7-2008 at 11:58 PM

Smooth and straightforward is the most difficult - it's like a carpenter planing a piece of wood perfectly, any bumps show up like mountains.

Leon
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 05:14 AM

Leon, you hit the nail on the... Oud. :D
oudmad
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie oudMoreover, its his tasteful selection of accents and ornamention during his motion "through" the maqam which, for me, makes this player a genius of the oud.

Even as a lay admirer of oud music with little understanding of the formalisms described here (which is not to demean these fine interpretations), there is little doubt in my mind (and my response to this great composer) that Sumbati's genious for the oud must stem from his pure genious as a musical creator. From nothing he creates, sounds that will last forever. This man's modesty (see some of his interviews on youtube) left him time and space to dedicate his life to a musical style and quality so unique. For me as a keen listener of Arabic music, so much of Sumbati's composing so utterly defies prediction, with a beauty that leaves you listening to his music over and over -- and always for the first time. His oud playing is an extension and culmination of the man on his own -- no frills, no other instrumental distractions, just pure genious. Which is why in my humble opinion, he leaves the field quite far behind. May he rest in peace.
Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 07:25 AM

Sounds like we'll have to arrange a Sunbati Seminar at next UK gathering ! Keep playing guys and lets meet up again soon.

Kelly
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 07:33 AM

Looking forward to it, Kelly. ;)
oudmad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelly
Sounds like we'll have to arrange a Sunbati Seminar at next UK gathering ! Keep playing guys and lets meet up again soon.

Sounds great, if from a selfish view point on my part. If such a seminar does indeed take place, and should any observations on the biographic aspects of Sumbati and the evolution of his music emerge, kindly share them with us. Thanks in advance.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 11:19 AM

Thanks to all for joining in this thread, Owain mate, you make a crucial point regarding risha technique. Sunbati also defies the school of playing which recommends equal volume on up and down strokes, if you listen carefully his upstrokes are far quieter than his downstrokes, Hamza el Din also plays this way, I think this way gives a more rhythmic feel, upstrokes very lightly struck, nothing more than a reflex action to the stronger downstroke. C.
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 10:11 AM

Another thing Charlie, which I think you covered in your first post actually, is that Sunbati seems to play around a Pivot note. He often Desends one or two notes down a scale quickly, BEFORE, he does a long ascend up the scale... For example, he starts by Playing D and hitting the 6th string too to create a nice atmosphere. Then he will hit E flat quickly, before ascending, D, C, B... etc. Also for example, when he is playing Hijaz, he will play a note that sounds a bit off, like B, before quickly passing A, G, to F flat, then down to G again... I hope this makes sense... I've tried to put it into a file, played by myself from his Taqsim, but I played it a lot slower so it's easier to hear.
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 11:28 AM

By the way, I forgot to post this. We can learn a lot from this guy ;). It's a renidition of Sunbati's Hijaz taqsim...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jZXRnCIxN7c

Go To Top