Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hello
Tom Moran
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-18-2008 at 05:12 PM
Hello

Hello. Tom Moran here. I’ve been lurking on the list for a short while, but thought I’d introduce myself. Last January, I decided to build myself an oud and learn how to play it.
Working in my spare time, I’m about ready to glue the top on. The entire process has been a great experience as I wanted to compare building techniques to those of the guitar, mandolin, etc. A few times, though, I did have to email Jameel and Dr. Hankey for help and they were very generous with their knowledge.
Until my oud is finished, I’ve been attempting to grasp the rudiments of Arabic music. I’ve been studying Marina’s book and video, learning maqams on a nylon string guitar and a fretless banjo to get an idea of the sound. As my musical background is rooted in punk rock, hillbilly, and country blues, this is a whole new thing for me and I’m grateful that this site has been a source of information and inspiration.

Tom
Boral
Oud Maniac

Mood: Nahawand

[*] posted on 11-19-2008 at 01:03 AM

Hello Tom,

Welcome to the forum.
I also have been lurking in the forum for a while and only this week I have received my first oud.
I wil post some pictures later. My background in a time line in the guitar was rock, blues , jazz, clasical guitar, lately flamenco and recently Turkish and middle eastern music.
This is a great forum to get started.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 11-19-2008 at 09:46 AM

Hi Tom ( and Boral) - welcome to the forum and to the wild and wonderful world of oud. I came from a similar background as you guys, guitar pickin' in blues, pop rock, jazz-funk, bluegrass, folk, but now that I'm a bit more, let us say, 'mellow with age' the oud has become my no 1 instrument and this website and all the people here have been so helpful, encouraging and friendly on my journey. To play this instrument well is a lifetime's work, yet very rewarding at whatever level you are at. regards, MW
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-19-2008 at 10:15 AM

Welcome Tom.

JonnyBelow
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-19-2008 at 11:01 AM

Hello! :bounce:

Jonny K. Below
Tom Moran
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-19-2008 at 01:28 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. The amount of info here is nearly overwhelming, but I'll be taking in as much as possible while the glue is drying. At some point, I'll get around to sorting through the pics of my oud in various states of assembly and post some of them.

Tom
http://www.myspace.com/tom_moran
http://www.bornagainbanjos.com
patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 11-20-2008 at 11:44 AM

Hi.
I'm another newcomer who's learned a lot from these friendly folks.

Go To Top