Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rishi that are not scratchy
shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 11-27-2008 at 05:28 AM
Rishi that are not scratchy

I've been on an endless search for a risha that you do not hear any harshness on the edges. I only came upon one at a store very far away from me (about 6000 miles) and I lost the darn thing. Can anyone recommend a source or material for a fairly hard tension risha that does not sound scratchy? I'd love to make one from horn but I'm not very handy and don't really have the time.

Thanks
rojaros
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-27-2008 at 08:51 AM

Hi Shareen,

I recently made a risha from a material called 'Mizrite' from Khalaf Luthiery http://www.khalafoud.com/picks.htm.
It's a very nice material for a little stiffer rishas and easy to work on (and no risk of anthrax ;) ). Highly recommendable.

As to scratchiness: you can get any risha very smooth by using very fine sand paper (1000 or even 2000) and polishing it then on your leather belt. This kind of sandpaper you can get either from http://www.stewmac.com/ or from many guitar string suppliers (guitarists use it for polishing their nails).

Jope that helps

best wishes

Robert
Quote:
Originally posted by shareen
Can anyone recommend a source or material for a fairly hard tension risha that does not sound scratchy? I'd love to make one from horn but I'm not very handy and don't really have the time.

Thanks
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-27-2008 at 08:53 AM
not scratchy rishis

BTW 'Rishis' never should be scratchy - they are wise people in India ... :)

... just joking
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 11-27-2008 at 01:09 PM

<< This kind of sandpaper you can get either from http://www.stewmac.com/ or from many guitar string suppliers>>

Or your local auto body shop - for less.
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 11-28-2008 at 07:19 AM

I'd have to say go with the MizRite too, I got some a while ago, and it's pretty easy to work, and I like the sound and feel. Of course, you still have to shape it, scrape it, sand it....and once you get it the way you like it....don't lose it. I still haven't figured out why these things are so easy to lose...I've had them drop out of my oud case, and end up in my driveway...to be found a few weeks later...or not...bummer.

Regards..Paul
shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 11-28-2008 at 06:48 PM

Yes, the constant case of the vanishing risha. I always loose my favorite ones. Mine wound up in the driveway too and I wasn't even outside. I think it took itself there to make me crazy. Then very relieved, I put it safely away only to have it vanish once again. :shrug:
fhydan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 11:19 PM

Try having a favorite risha that is transparent. Royal pain in the butt.
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 01:57 AM

I recently tried Mizrite - very nice, if you like harder Rishas.
I also did some from white plastic stuff that was a box of sheep chees from Turky, very nice material for softer Rishas. You can try virtually any plastic material that comes in your hands, you ust cut it roughly in the form you desire using scissors than sand it and finaly polish it. Some softer materials also are not so suitable for sanding, you may then first scratch them with a sharp knife and then polish them on fon sandpaper and finally leather belt.

A nice hard risha can be made of the plastic used for DVD cases.

And of course - any kind of horn, or maybe you can get from your grand ma a tortoise shell comb - but that would be actually an antiquity ;-)

best wishes
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 09:23 AM

Hi All.

Can anyone please detail the steps (and tools) required to form a risha out of a rectangular piece of Mizrite for example? (Or any other plastice material).

rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 12:05 PM

Hi Reda, if you have a Risha that has the right shape, you cut out that shape roughly out of the row material and then you take a fine iron file to even out the shape. Finally you sand it to the required thikness using fine sandpaper (preferably a fabric one) and thebn super fine sandpaper (1000 or 2000) and finally you can polish the Risha with leather, so that it becomes as smooth as possible.

I haven't tried yet to thinn the mizrite using a sharp knife, but that could also work by scratcing it along the surface.

If you don't have a suitable shape modell, you have to start with something that is not to extreme - not to wide, not to narrow, not to poited, not to round. I think it's generally a good idea to use comercially available rishas as a starting point and then to experiment with different shapes and solidity to know what suites your playing style - no fixed rules!

See also my thread http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8112#pid537...

best wishes
Robert
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 12:20 PM

Have you tried Pyramid pro picks from Jameel?. The thicker ones. They are smooth and work well for me. Worth a try. C
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 11:47 AM

Hey Shareen,

I would throw my voice in with those who recommend Jameel.... Best one's I've played with yet.... He also has blanks that you can carve your own

Chris Walters
patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 11:51 AM

I've been using 'GALLI' picks. I got two with my oud last April and with playing an hour a day or so, quite vigorously at times, I've just begun to notice a little roughness on one of them. That's what I call long lasting.

Haven't lost either of them, yet.

I've made a couple of cherry wood picks, but they don't last.

Godd luck with your search.

Go To Top