Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Great site.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 5-13-2004 at 06:58 AM
Great site.

Hello,

I found this excelent site for learning Arabic music, maqamat and theory. It contains a lot of details with notations and a load of sound samples so you can hear each maqam and how it is applied. You can even click the notes in the scale to hear them. Anyway go see for yourself if you haven't found the site yet, it is called Maqam World. Here is the URL http://www.maqamworld.com

Have fun
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 5-13-2004 at 02:10 PM
Maqam world

Hey Elie,

Not to put a fine point on it, man, but Maqam world is one of the sites highlighted and linked to on the Home page of THIS site (see Mike's ouds home page graphic).

However recently I seem to have trouble getting on there. 90% of the time the site is down. When did you get into it last ?

Spyros C.
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 5-13-2004 at 03:47 PM

:shrug:Strange, I never had trouble loging on. I don't think that I've ever seen it down:shrug:
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-13-2004 at 06:08 PM

Hello Spyros,

I missed the link on Mike's home page.

I've never had any problemo accessing the site. Did you try clicking the link I posted or just typing it in?

Good luck.
Michael
Oud Maniac

Mood: M'oud-y

[*] posted on 5-14-2004 at 01:16 AM

I've never seen it down either. I've always been able to access it. Shame not all the features work for us Linux users tho' :-( When will web-designers realise that not everyone uses Windows and IE?!!!
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-14-2004 at 04:33 AM

Hi

Maybe they go for majority :shrug:

Salam
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-14-2004 at 06:49 AM

Hi Michael,

May be you could bring that to their attention about the Linux. At one time clicking the notes didn't make a sound. Now, on certain systems it makes the sound the first time it is clicked on but not the second but works perfect on others. I think it may be that M$ has messed things up so much that it made it a little harder for the Java thing to be bug free and OS independant.

I thought of switching to Linux at one point.

Good luck buddy.
Michael
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 08:12 AM

Well, I kind of resent being denied access because I don't use the same software as the "majority" use, like I'm some kind of second rate citizen!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 01:40 PM

um, you resent them for providing an excellent resource completely free of charge, at their own expense, with no advertisements?:shrug:

I'm sure if you offered to write the linux-friendly code for them, they would be happy to update the site.

btw, I'm pretty sure that Linux users are third-rate citizens. Us Mac users are the second-rate ones;)
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
Well, I kind of resent being denied access because I don't use the same software as the "majority" use, like I'm some kind of second rate citizen!

Well it is not uncommon for Linux people to have a dual-boot system, so you could have Winders and Linux on the same machine. If I remember, there is a program called partition-magic for creating a new partition on the drive without having to reformat the whole drive. Some Linux flavores may already have a simillar prtitioning program.

Good luck.
Michael
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 01:03 AM

No, Brian, I don't resent the excellent resource provided free of charge. Thinking more clearly, what I resent is Zulkarnain's attitude that I don't matter because I'm not among the "majority".

I also resent the fact that some web-sites are written to only work with Windows and IE. That is, they are not written to accepted internet standards. The internet standards work on all platforms - Unix, Linux, Windows, Mac - that's why they're standards. Windows does not always conform to standards. Microsoft is notorious for doing this, either extending a standard or deviating from a standard.

maqam-world.com is indeed an excellent resource and the functional limitations I experience on a Linux platform are minor and in no way limit what I get out of the site.

Elie, it is true that many Linux users dual boot and that it is easy to do. I choose not to as I do not wish to purchase a Windows licence when I already have a perfectly good operating system and software suite on my computer. The money is better spent on buying CD's of oud music!

Go To Top