Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Just got a new saz...
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-17-2008 at 10:24 AM
Just got a new saz...

Just got a new saz last night as an early Christmas present from my wife....

She ordered it from Touch the Earth

Just wanted to say that it arrived in great shape... very well packed... The only issue is that she had orderd a cheaper one from the site. So I called the owner, Scott, and told him about the mix up and he offered for me to keep the nicer instrument without extra charge. (I looked at the tag on the soft case and it said it was the cheaper one... so perhaps it was just mislabeled - but the saz is obviously the more expensive one on the site) From what I can tell from the Saz forum at Tribes.net, Scott is the preferred guy in the US for buying a Saz... No complaints... I didn't think to ask him, but I've not seen his stuff on ebay before..... At any rate, the guy is located in Western Virginia. He goes over to Turkie on a regular basis to buy instruments. Mostly Sazes but he also has a couple of Turkish Ouds - though I don't know much about them... The pics on the site look nice... but I don't know anything about Turkish ouds...

The saz itself is absolutly gorgeous... the construction is very well done... nothing sloppy. The pegs are awesome... very smooth turning. The action is, from what little I know about he Saz, perfect... It's really easy to play...

Thankfully, the work I've been doing on the Oud seems to translate well.... It's actually kind of cool because on the oud I think about finger position... the saz is getting me to think more about interval....

At any rate, just wanted to share.... If you're interested in getting a Saz and are in the US, you may want to check this guy out before you give your money to Lark or Andreas... I had a good experiance....

Chris Walters
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 12-18-2008 at 07:36 AM

Chris, thats cool. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy. Nice site you used. :cool:
pirsultan
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-18-2008 at 04:02 PM

The sazes that they are sourcing are from good makers according to their website. Safak Turan at Onar Muzik Evi is one of the top makers, no question. I met him once at the workshop way out at Avcılar and he had instruments ready at that time for Tolgar Sağ and Güler Duman among others.

The cheaper sazes are from Hasan Sarıkaya who I have known for about 15 years. I used to spend a lot of time in a little shop he had on Şehzadebaşı Cad. some years back called İller Sazevi. Hasan has a 'factory' where he makes a lot of good quality cheaper instruments, mostly oyma style saz. I've been to the 'factory' which really consists of a master maker and and assitant or two. Hasan runs the business and doesn't make instruments himself now although he used to. A few years back sitting in his shop I noticed a very nice ud and it was one he had made himself in his instrument making days when working making uds in Kuwait (it is a Turkish style instrument). Didn't buy it then, but when I got back to Australia I couldn't let it go and called him up and he packed it up and sent it out to me (stupid ideas as the freight and customs cost me a fortune, way more than the instrument). It is a lovely instrument. Hasan is a great guy and very genuine. When I first met him I was looking for a good quality ud and he did not try and sell me one of the ones he had as he didn't think they were as good as I wanted, so he went and got me a beautiful 1988 vintage instrument from Cengiz Sarıkuş.

Go To Top