Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is anyone here self-taught?
slovak75
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-17-2008 at 06:35 PM
Is anyone here self-taught?

Greetings all, I was wondering if anyone here is a self-taught Oud player. I myself will be hard-pressed to find an Oud teacher in my area . I am enjoying learning the instrument on my own though. I know that will make me somewhat ignorant to many key points that I should know about the instrument, but I have to learn somehow. This is the same way that I learned how to play the guitar. I hope I'm not alone with this way of learning. Joe
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 12-18-2008 at 01:24 AM

You`re not alone!

Hi Joe:wavey:
I have the same problem like you: No Oud-teacher to find in the area I live.I tried to teach myself some Maquams(or is it maquamat?) using soundfiles. But I`m pretty tired in really working on them-mostly I end up in noodeling around.:D
Like you I learn other instruments like guitar,piano,saz,etc just using my ears and my eyes.Mostly successful.
But it is different with the oud.although I listen to türkish and arab music since 20 years,I find it very hard to dive in the arab scales.The most things I play sound a bit like orientaljazzrockfusion.
I play the oud about 6 month now, the fingers on the left hand work well, but the risha-technic seems to need a lot of work!!!
So I`m looking forward to find a teacher!!In the meantime I practice by myself.
But one thing is for sure: the oud opened a new page in my music-livebook and I enjoy playing it a lot.Cant let my hands off "her".
Greetings from nearly Oud-free south- germany,

Marcus

P.S.:If sombody knows a teacher around Stuttgart/Germany PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE let me know!!
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 12-18-2008 at 03:18 AM

http://www.cameronpowers.com/teachingCDs.html

Hi Marcus & Joe, Try the above Book and cd's. They will help and you may feel less alone. Regards, Charlie
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 12-18-2008 at 06:20 AM

the only "key points" i learned about the oud is how to tune it, take care of it and to listen carefully for the right note - anything else relates to the "do's" and "dont's" of your chosen repertoire.

... wanna' hear a hank williams song?

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 12-18-2008 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by billkilpatrick
... wanna' hear a hank williams song?

Which one? ;)

-John
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 12-18-2008 at 12:13 PM

y'awl are gonna' have to wait till after xmas to fiiiind out - y'hear!

shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 12-20-2008 at 10:02 AM

Try buying the DVD called "Learn Maqamat on the Oud" by one of our forum members "OudProff". It's a fantastic learning tool that I use all the time! Happy ouding!
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 07:38 AM

Yeah, you're completely not alone... But you've landed in the right place... This forum is a great place to ask questions and get answers... The folks here are very helpful and patient. One of the things that I think has helped me is to post video in the member sound clip section... I've gotten a lot of really good advice there...

And make the search bar your friend - there is a ton of great info already here :rolleyes:

Chris Walters
Boral
Oud Maniac

Mood: Nahawand

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 07:59 AM

I have just started one month ago.
This forum is the right place to be.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 10:19 AM

Another good resource, once you have mastered some of the basics of maqam and can continue by ear, might be CDs from this series published by the "Renanot" Institute in Jerusalem, "Know the Maqam":

http://www.israel-music.com/cantor_ezra_barnea/know_maqam_series_1/
http://www.renanot.co.il/IndexEng.asp
http://www.renanot.co.il/products.asp?CategoryID=9

Obviously, material in Hebrew would present the exact same problem as material in Arabic for most Forum members! There seems to be some English included, but you can always email them (renanot@inter.net.il) and find out how much English translation is provided.

Good luck,
John
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 01:36 PM

hey john

chag samach buddy!! btw do you have that cd is it good.? i was going to buy when i was over there but i didnt .

I also am a non teacher trainer, and i made alot of progress and i can figure out differ peices but it will take me more time to learn it . my problem is when i play i know i am doing 101 things wrong even if it sounds right, so this is something you can only adjust with a person helping you.

stay in there and practice practice and um yeh practice lol

thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 03:29 PM

Shalom Sammy,

Chag Chanukah Sameach!

I don't actually own the "Know the Maqam" series, though I do have a few other Renanot recordings. (I don't know how Renanot is for international shipping, but Israel-Music.com has the first volume, and I find their service pretty good.)

Don't you have some oud teachers in the New York region that you could have at least a few lessons with? The Shaheen bros.? Haig Manoukian? Samir Shukry?

Kol tuv,
John
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 05:29 PM

I am for the most part self taught...
but really with the help of the forum members and the dawn of internet sites like youtube, I cant say I didnt have a teacher.

I really can say that I am a product of Mikeouds.com oud school.

When I was 18 my sister brought a oud for me from Lebanon. I wanted to play some songs of Georges Wassouf on the oud, that was my only goal. When I tried to pluck the oud after it had traveled on a plane from Beirut to Ottawa, it was badly out of tune I put it aside for about a year thinking it must broken.
when I found the forums it was like a revelation! you have to tune this thing?? :shrug:

The fact is in my city there were 4 oud teachers at the time. I was denied classes by all of them... they were not interested in teaching a complete beginner. In retrospect now that I teach oud It isnt the most thrilling thing to teach a beginner how to hold the oud so it doesnt slip off their lap... but thats a different story.

I have played music (trombone) for 10 years before I started playing oud. so I came to the instrument with some knowledge of music theory and with the ability to read notes. Although latter I found this to be pretty much useless
since the trombone is written in FA clef. and oud is written in Sol. I hate transposing so much that I never bothered reading notes for oud.

all this to say, if you are a beginner and you intend to teach yourself. your knowlege of music in general will help you.
if you know western classical theory you are really far ahead. It will help a little bit to understand the system of Maqamat.
The other most important thing depends on what your goal is. I have been listening to arabic music pretty much my whole life. So when I started playing the oud I could hum and sing the songs I wanted to play by heart and that is to say that being familiar with the repertoire is another helping point.
As for the technique, I think a very good way is to observe professionals play and focus on getting a similar posture and hand positions. the rest comes trough focused practice by concentrating on using the correct finger for the correct note. I observed Yurdal Tokcan and Abadi el Johar the most.
Some might disagree that observing famous players is a good way to learn. but after meeting other oud players who where taught traditional style playing with a teacher. I found there technique limited to what that one teacher brought to them. In other words I my method has been to observe and take the best aspects of oud players I met and seen.

Samir :)
shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 05:59 PM

Chag Chanukah sameach to all! I am only playing oud officially now for 1 1/2 years. I started with it slipping off my lap too, and had a couple of lessons w/William Shaheen at the Arabic music retreat. Went on to some lessons with the great Haik Manukian who is very accessible and a wonderful teacher, went for the 2nd year to the Retreat and studied with Chabel Rouhana. The total immersion for a week propelled me light years from where I was before. Playing with an ensemble was an amazing and very humbling lesson about how difficult and complex this music is. Now I study videos a lot and use the Amazing Slow Downer to analyze taksim and and I try to copy as best as I can the little nuances of my favorite players and all the classics. I am frustrated about still sounding too "western" and too guitar-like in my playing, but slowly slowly I see and hear improvement. It is a long and very gratifying road! Keep it up and don't get discouraged. There are many resources out there! :wavey:
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 06:23 PM

I believe that by far the most important thing we can learn from an experienced oud player, especially those of us trained on guitar, is proper risha/mizrap technique, so we don't hurt our wrists with repetitive stress disorder.

Peace,
John
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2008 at 12:10 AM

Hi Guys,

In my case, I learned most of oud stuff by my self. But I got chance to learn for one mounth from a teacher who teach me Risha techniq and Finger positions. And that was 10 years back when i was in syria. It is really shame that i am didnt learn how to read music notes but it is never late.

The best source available to me now is Youtube oud clips. Mainly, i am listening to the iraqi style and turkish style oud playing. I believe if you learn how to play these two styles, then you will cover all oud styles in arabic music world. Now a days, i am learning "Flying Bird" for Munir Bashir. It took so far one mounth to learn it but i didnt nailed yet plus i bought Looper Station which is a devise able me to practice playing with different arabic rythems.

I have got project in my mind to post videos about Risha and Figuer positions for differents maqams, but never got right time to do that. I hope one day i will able to do that.

Thanks

Go To Top