[*] posted on 12-20-2008 at 09:56 AM
Taiseer Elias on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgPokPmrLKw

:applause:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgPokPmrLKw
oud-dude
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-21-2008 at 06:06 PM

Thanks, Marina... that is some FINE oud playing! I am inspired. I particularly liked his segue from the first part the the middle part. I'm sorry, but I still don't know the correct terminology yet! Best four-and-a-half minutes I've spent today!

Peter (Virginia, USA)

P.S. I really like your book! Very helpful to a beginner like myself. Bravo!
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 12-21-2008 at 11:30 PM

Alot of the playing was nice and technical, but I think the oud really needs to be tuned a bit better, there are alot of "out of tune" notes and some of the 'adventurous' phrases were played poorly...still a great player though.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesOud
Alot of the playing was nice and technical, but I think the oud really needs to be tuned a bit better, there are alot of "out of tune" notes and some of the 'adventurous' phrases were played poorly...still a great player though.

An interesting perception James. I have attached part of another live version of this tune, with oud played by Taiseer Elias. Is his playing out of tune on this version?

I think it is likely that he was not aware that this particular performance would end up being available to a worldwide (youtube) audience and that his skill would be critiqued on the basis of a poorly shot and recorded home movie. But, to my ear, it was not out of tune.
Most of my training has been as a western musician, so my ear can probably not be relied upon to be accurate, when listening to music composed by Abdel Wahab.

Regards,

Greg
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 04:49 AM

How about this one?
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 06:49 AM

Totally great on this recording...point taken about home movie also, but it was slightly out in some passages. Really virtuosic player...

Smiley James
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 10:33 AM

Hi All,

Definately virtuoustic! Thanks for posting.

Note that this was taped in the UK. When I heard Taiseer perform last spring in Davis, CA, USA, I did notice that, at times, his strings went a bit out of tune. His instrument (he performed on a Turkish ud) was clearly affected by the difference in temperature and humidity between Falastin/Eretz Yisrael and California's Central Valley, which is obviously much closer in climate to the Holy Land than is London.

All musicians definately have "off" days, too. (Like the nasty gig I did last night with musicians who had never played Middle Eastern music before! I had to not look at the poor, bored audience in order to keep my concentration! :shrug: )

It also depends on how much time you want to spend performing the works of that "great Chinsese composer," Tu Ning.

Peace,
John
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 01:37 PM

hey guys

alwasy was a fan of this oud player saw him at the druze camp about 4 years ago in northern golan. sick time it really was.

thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden

Go To Top