Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Workshop Rework
antekboodzik
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 11:46 AM

It is very hard to find a decent hand cranked grinder. I tried a few times with old, vintage ones, but all of them were damaged with no sufficeient care or too worn to use properly, and all of these ended in the trash.

There are also cup grinding wheels - do they apply for use with hand grinders?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 12:32 PM

It might be possible to refurbish an old worn hand grinder by machining the shafts smooth, boring out the bearing castings oversize and press fitting standard sintered bronze bushings that would then be reamed to be a running fit for the shaft - but likely not worth it unless you have the tools (and skill) to do it yourself.
There are slow speed motorised grinders on the market designed for grinding carbon steel tool blades (sometimes combined with a conventional high speed wheel). Relatively costly I imagine.

Here is one example

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/GRINDER-10IN.-WET-BENCH-CSA.ht...

I am not aware of cup grinding wheels being fitted to hand grinders.
antekboodzik
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2016 at 02:01 PM

Finally managed to find decent, not worn or battered hand cranked grinder :)
In fact, it seems it was never been used. I got it on a some yard sale, and after putting some grease and oiling it a bit, and fitting new stone it runs surprisingly well, with minimal "wobbling" of the stone, and very quiet. The only thing I have modified was adding a few washers to lock a kind of a "clutch" on the crank - didn't like it at all. Working with it is easier and faster than I expected to be, and shaping this M2 steel blank was not so big effort. I hope it would be nice woodturning skew chisel.
And the coolest thing is, that the grinder and a stone for it cost me about 1/10 of a price of the cheapest power bench grinder.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top