Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gamil oud---worth buying????
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-27-2008 at 06:36 PM
Gamil oud---worth buying????

Hello All,
I came across a Gamil Georges oud that's selling for $170 USD (includes case). It does need some new strings, which I can put on. I've been reading a bit here about Gamil Georges' ouds and was wondering if anyone could help me with this one. It was made in 1985 (reading the label). Would this be made by Gamil or his sons? Secondly, since the strings are not on it, I cannot tell what it sounds like and I would like to know if these are generally beginner ouds. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow and post them. Thanks!

gregorypause
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-27-2008 at 11:34 PM

Make sure you take a picture of the label inside. That could help figuring out whether it is by Gamil Georges or by his sons. Generally, from the price though I'd assume it is by the sons.

As for whether it is worth it. I am learning on a Gamil Georges oud. It is decent enough but it is a beginner oud I'd say. Also, the change of initial strings to Pyramid Orange label made a huge difference in sound. So, I'd advise you to put the new strings on before you purchase, even if you end up not buying and losing the strings.
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-30-2008 at 03:18 PM

Here's a pic:

Orahim1
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-30-2008 at 03:20 PM

and another...

Orahim1
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-30-2008 at 03:23 PM

and one more...this oud is n=being sold in an antique shop for around $170, case included. Someone has restrung it, but not all the strings are there. It does seem to have good action, and a decent tone. I couldn't figure out a way to take a pic of the label due to the ornament in front. Again, the label reads in Arabic that it was made in 1985. Would this be a product of the sons of Gamil? I'm thinking about purchasing it to have an inexpensive oud I can play, and leave, at work without any worries. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

gregorypause
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-31-2008 at 01:22 AM

I think I have almost exactly the same oud (see http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6938&pa... ). The rosettes are the same!

You can take a picture of the label, it takes a few tries but I managed it also... I am almost 100% that this is made by the sons not George Gamil himself. Still for $170 it may still be worth it as a learner instrument. Unless you plan to go to Egypt where you can get something like this for much less. Does it come with soft case or hard case?

The strings are not missing. This is how Egyiptians tune their ouds - 4 double strings and a single drone. G A d g c.
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-31-2008 at 11:38 AM

Thanks for the reply gregory. It does come with a hard case. I also forgot to mention, and I didn't take a pic of it, that there seem to be nothes etched into the side of the neck as if to indicate finger positioning. I can't tell if the instrument would have come like this, or if someone added them on later to make it easier to learn the instrument.

gregorypause
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-1-2009 at 01:05 AM

I have no finger position markers, so those must have been added later.

Consider this: even a semi-decent hard case costs about $100, so I'd say it is still worth it at $170.

Anyone else willing to comment?
patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 1-1-2009 at 05:39 AM

I'd buy it if you can easily afford it. It looks nicer than mine and you've got a hard case too.:D

Go To Top