Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Khalifeh "tourist oud"
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 5-19-2004 at 03:05 PM
Khalifeh "tourist oud"

I'm wondering guys, If anyone can recomend a good place to get a bone nut to replace the wooden one on my Ali Khalifeh "tourist" oud? Also is it worth the trouble to sand off the laquer on the face and replace the pegs (horrible!) with some nice properly fitted ones? I have already exactoed the glue off of the rosette and sanded it into really nice shape. Will all this effect the sound enough to make it worth while?

It was a gift from family, and it's actually not that bad in comparison to others Ive seen. I bought a nice intermediate walnut oud from Yehia at nileshop a few months ago, so the Khalifeh would be nice to get into a learning expierience regarding oud building/ maintainance/repair-

I would appreciate some feedback, thanks everyone.
Tarik:airguitar:
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 5-19-2004 at 03:22 PM
Top nut

I get the nuts from the local guitar shop, then trim them to make them fit the oud's neck, and put in the right notches.

Good luck
Spyros C.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 5-19-2004 at 11:57 PM

i wait for my dogs to get distracted and steal one of their bones. nuts are easy and very satisfying to make. slice off an ample piece of bone, attack it with a file or coarse sandpaper and finish it off with fine grade abrasive paper. if need be you can cut a small piece of wood for the base and glue it to the bone.

if the rosettes are removed, dr. oud suggests placing some sort of support around the circumference of the sound hole. asthetics aside, the only function rosettes have is structural.

pegs are a constant source of interest. you can find them on the various egyptian ebay shops.

i've got one of these "tourist" ouds - mine was a gift as well. i'm pretty ambivalent over their merits, however.

- bill
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 12:26 PM

Sounds very familiar. I replaced all 3 roses on mine with one made of 2.5 mm birch plywood which I designed the pattern for then sent the digital file of pattern along with material to be laser cut. See picture.

As for the pegs, they needed replaced since the slipped very bad it made it impossible to tune the oud. So I made my own. The process of properly fitting pegs requires the proper reamer and a matching peg shaper which costs about $75. Luckily a buddy of mine loaned his set. There are other ways for the pegs where you would use a file to file down shinny spots on the pegs and so on but you have to start with a nicely tapered hole..... here is a link http://www.bearmeadow.com/build/methods/setup/html/installing-peg.h... But I think it is tedious and requires a lot of skill and eyeballing and I do not think it will produce as good of a fit as using the reamer and peg shaper set. Her is a link to making your own set http://www.art-robb.co.uk/pegs.html
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 12:44 PM
Rosette

Hey Elie,

I always wondered if I could get somebody to laser cut the rosette patterns for me, rather than doing it the hard way. Do you have more information on that part ? Who does it for you ?

Thanks
Spyros C.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 12:54 PM

yeah elie, how did you do that? they look absolutely fabulous! please spill the beans...

not only as to how it was cut and who did it but also how did you mount them without removing the soundboard? when wood is cut as finely as that does is it bend sufficently to slip into the sound hole?

pray tell...

- bill
excentrik
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 01:17 PM

Thanks Elie, I'm not exactly sure how to remove the face of the oud without damaging it (I dont have many tools, so if I mess up, it will be difficult to fix) . I dont think replacing the rossette is possible, unless someone has an idea...

Thank you guys
tarik
:shrug:
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 02:11 PM
Rosette

Oh I can tell you how to replace the rosette without removing the face.

Tarik, in your case it would be a snap, because I think your Khalifa rosettes are plastic. But even if they were wood you could do it (with a bit more work and patience - and luck ? )

Spyros C.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 02:21 PM
Don't Remove the Soundboard

Hey guys,

What they usually do is make the rosette with a notch that can be used to slip the rosette into the face. See pic below.

Mike

excentrik
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 02:35 PM
heat the glue?

so I should just heat the glue a little bit and slip it off? The notch graphic helps but the rossette has a very convoluted designed (its says Ali Khalifeh above a treble clef, and a bunch of "shamy" -as in bilad al-sham- designs) I'll try to send a picture, but I dont have a dig. camera...

shukran
Tarik
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 03:38 PM

Spyro C,

Laser cutting at http://www.pololu.com/laser_cutting.html , I think all 3 roses cost me about $30 in cutting and shipping I provided the material. I have to warn you that the edges will be charred by the laser, but I think that is okay because it hides the layering of the plywood and it is un-noticable. It also hides the thickness of the wood.

Bill & Tarik,

As Bill figured, I didn't remove the face to install the new roses. The way I put in the new roses is I cut sort of a V notch into the perimeter of the rose which created a path to one of the gaps in the pattern. Holding the rose perpendicular to the hole, this allowed me to slip the rose in by sliding the rose such that the edge of the soundboard passes through the notch. Now the opposite edge of the rose has cleared the edge of the hole, so I carefelly pushed the rose in. Before I started this, I passed a string through the rose (see picture.) I used the string to control the rose like a puppet while I applied glue. Then used the strings and some stick to hold the rose to board while the glue sets. The strings and sticks idea I got from Dr. Oud. As for the idea of sliding the rose in such a way I'm not certain if that is how Dr. Oud would have done it exactly this way but his remarks steered in this direction!
Note: the V notch will have a narrow opening slightly wider that the thickness of the board. The wide opening of the V is about 3 times the width of the narrow one.

Well I hope this helps!
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 03:47 PM
Rosette

Tarik,

I find the easiest way is to heat a thin blade (like an exacto) and slip it between the soundboard and the rosette. If the glue is hide glue (usual case) the rosette will come unglued. The fact that it is probably plastic will allow you to just bend it slightly and pull it out. If it's not plastic, then there either it has the notch that Mike described, or it is not a full circle. Either way you can pull it out.

Here's the secret. Before you start, tie a string through the bilad al-sham designs so that even if the rosette falls inside the oud you can pull it up.

To put it back on, you will need to do the string thing with 6 string loops holding it as you are inserting it. You can look at Dr. Oud's book on how to do this, and. interestingly enough, you can see another way of doing it if you watch that German "Oud" video that Mike has posted. They use the strings with some wood blocks that are wider in one dimension so they can lift them up which pulls the string loops and tightens the rosette against the inside of the face.

However, I don't know why you would want to mess with your rosette in the first place. It's fine for the oud you have, and is not really affecting your sound in this case.

Good Luck
Spyros C.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by excentrik
so I should just heat the glue a little bit and slip it off? The notch graphic helps but the rossette has a very convoluted designed (its says Ali Khalifeh above a treble clef, and a bunch of "shamy" -as in bilad al-sham- designs) I'll try to send a picture, but I dont have a dig. camera...

shukran
Tarik

You could take an Exacto knife and very carefully slide it between board and rose, imagine you are cutting the glue layer and do not rush or force things.

You do not need a lot of space as I explained in post above. All the space you will need is the width of the border of the rose that you make.

Tookrum khayoo,
Elie
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 04:39 PM
Crossing in the mail !

Hey Elie,

Thanks for the laser info.

Looks like you and I been posting almost identical descriptions just seconds appart without knowing the other person was doing it ! OK, you go first, I'll shut up

Spyros C.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 05:34 PM
No problem

Quote:
Originally posted by spyrosc
Hey Elie,

Thanks for the laser info.

Looks like you and I been posting almost identical descriptions just seconds appart without knowing the other person was doing it ! OK, you go first, I'll shut up

Spyros C.

No problem dude. Same happened with Mike's post. It took me a while to get mine up. I had to run over to sister-in-law's house, in the middle of composing the reply, since she called with an emergency. My 3.5 year old son got his finger stuck in a plastic funnel toy. Everything is okay though.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 05:36 PM
Where is the video?

Spyros,

Could you tell where the video is? I cannot seem to find it. Thanks.

Elie
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2004 at 08:07 PM
The Movie

Elie,

For some reason I can't find it here either, but I have it on my computer. It's about 5MB. If your e-mail can take it, tell me your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

Basically what they are doing, is they use two small blocks of wood that are wider than they are high. So they pass the string loops through the rosette and the blocks as normal, they tighten them loosely (like your lollypop sticks) and then they flip the blocks onto their narrow side, so the wider side now becomes the height, and it naturally causes the strings to stretch and pull the rosette up against the face.

Spyros C.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 05:18 AM

love it! - low tech is where it's at...

your correspondence (collective) is positively inspirational - can't wait to try the rosette replacements on my "down in the pits" - as opposed to "top of the line" - kahalifeh oud. i removed the tasteful plastic rosettes by cutting through the soft plastic with an exacto knife (boy, did that feel good). that part of the rosette that was glued to the underside of the sound hole simply peeled off with out a hitch.

in the same vein, do you-all have any similar strokes of genius for "righting" the neck to bring it back up in alignment to the sound board?

plastic rosettes?... warped neck?... who gives a sh*t craftsmanship?... don't you wish you owned one too?

- bill
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 06:24 AM

Hey guys,

I put that video up again. It is now on the Video Clips page for good now. And Bill, thanks for entertaining us all with your very amusing posts! :D

Take care fellas,
Mike

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 07:19 AM
Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Hey guys,

I put that video up again. It is now on the Video Clips page for good now. And Bill, thanks for entertaining us all with your very amusing posts! :D

Take care fellas,
Mike

Thanks Mike. I was trying to find Astrid's video clip making an oud. Is there one anyway or maybe I misunderstood someone?

Spyro,
Thanks for the offer. I think my email is right at 5 MB. I'll just watch it. Thanks anyway.

Elie
excentrik
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 09:40 AM

THank YOU GUYS!!! I appreciate the immediate help, People are wondering why I'm doing this; simply to learn more about the construction and restoration process of oudism... I know its really not worth it for sound reasons, but the expierience is actually a lot of fun. Ya know? Thanks again spyros, elie, mike, and bill for throwing me the info-

Ill send pictures when I can...
Ateek al afia-
Tarik
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 12:46 PM

I know this might sound strange, but I'm getting ready to put the original pegs back after I re-shape the shafts and of course have to install bushings in the holes and ream them.

I am doing this because the ones I made out of cheap dowel rods were supposed to be an experiment and temporary. They do work well but the shafts ended up being too large in diameter which made it a little too sensitive when tuning, in otherwards a small twist will cause a half a step. I thought of getting violin tuning pegs but the decided to maintain the original look of the pegs "rectangular heads".

Tarik,
If your tuning pegs stay in tune, you might want to consider just letting them be and save yourself the hastle.

Good luck,
Elie
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 03:28 PM
Warped neck

Hey Bill, are you really looking to straighten that neck out ?

Is yours also one of those "false" Ali Khalifa's that have been going around ?

Spyros C.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 10:23 PM

yes, my wife bought me one of these dud ouds for christmas and yes, i'd like to straighten out the warped neck.

this happened on my egyptian oud as well. the luthier i brought it to glued a wedge of ebony onto the existing fingerboard to compensate for the drop in level.

if there's something i can do that saves me a trip to "mr. money" i'd really appreciate knowing about it.

ciao - bill
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 10:53 PM
Neck straightening

Bill,

1) Where are you located ? Are you anywhere close to the SF Bay Area ? If so I could take a look at your oud. I've dealt with a few of those Khalifas already.

2) Can you describe the problem exactly ? How old is the oud ? You said it was a recent Christmas present ? was it new ? Can you look inside and see the year on the label ? It is in Arabic but you can recognize Arabic numerals easily, you will see something like 199.... probably, except that the tails of Arabic nines go the other way (towards the right), and it will be followed by another symbol which will be the year. If you removed the rosette already you could probably take a picture and let me see it. You probably have the likeness of Mouafaq staring at you with his mustachioed glory.

Spyros C.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top