Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: WARNING to Sukar case owners
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 11:44 AM
WARNING to Sukar case owners

During Christmas week I was taking my oud to a friends place and as I was about to unlock my car the Oud flew from my back and crashed to the concrete ground. The strap rivets had given way. Luckily there was no damage which I suppose speaks well for the case's outer shell. I also house the oud firm, i.e.soft padding to prevent movement of the oud in its case. Do not trust the strap, unless of course you have it securely re-riveted it to the case. C
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 02:20 PM

Ohh no!! I'm just so thankful your Oud wasn't damaged, Charlie. :bowdown: When I carry my Oud I carry it in the soft case (my hard case is a bit too big and heavy) but now with the cold, I started placing my Oud in two soft cases, then in a gym bag, but still holding the straps AND the bag... only problem is my arm starts to ache because I'm too careful. :rolleyes:

I hope nothing like this ever happens again... you and your Oud take care now! :wavey:
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 03:24 PM

Good thing the oud isn't damaged. Whew! Some products are inexpensive for a reason. Since I started using my own soft cases, I have never found the need for a hard-sided case. Not to say there isn't a place for them, but I'd rather have a great soft case than a lousy hard one. My 2 cents...

Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 03:44 PM

Hi Owain.
What Tog rating would you recommend?! I think a merino wool base layer then 2 soft cases should do the trick!

Regards

Kelly
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 07:47 AM
Another problem with Sukar hard-case!

4-5 years ago I put the case (with the oud inside) on the flour in the stand position. The case fell back words. I heard a crack sound. The case was not harmed, but unfortunately I found out that my oud was broken in two (the neck broke in the middle and peg box got separated from the rest).

Yes, Sukar hard case in fiberglass is very hard, but it is "BENDABLE"!! Try it yourself, (well take the oud out first :'),
and pull on the peg box part and see for yourself.

I agree with Jameel that soft case is better in general, but not when the "band" is driving long distance and the van is full of instruments: Double base, drums, etc. In that case you need to have a hard case!!

Now I have a Jameel soft case. And it is fantastic. Thanks again Jameel for a beautiful work.
But when you live in a country where it rains a lot, Jameel soft case becomes a beautiful luxury :')

So Jameel, if you read this: I am still waiting for your answer whether or not you can make me a rain proof case for the soft case :-) I don't think anybody can do a better Job then you!
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 09:54 AM

Making a rain proof soft case would be a challenge. It could be done of course, but whether or not there is a market would have to decide the feasibility of producing it. Making a one-off might be the answer. The trick is devising a mechanism that becomes water tight, but still allows the case to be opened. I know there are waterproof violin cases that actually float, so there is a way. It all boils down to cost, really.

Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 12:01 PM
Water proof Case

Thanx for your answer, Jameel!
You have always been fast to send an answer. And your answers are always helpful and to the point.
Of course I understand that one cannot change the whole of the factory just for ONE case. But no harm in hoping, right?
;-)
I thought if I write it on the forum, maybe others might express the need for such (in case it is needed at all), and then it would be feasible for you. I hope you don't mind.
Thanks again for the "beautiful" case that I got. I use it a lot, of course. And I have always with me a big plastic bag in case of rain.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 11:13 PM

I saw an older Sukar case recently and I think they make them better now. The neck flexing referred to above doesn't seem possible now as an aluminum piece is riveted around the periphery.

I sure wouldn't trust the rivets for the strap without rechecking, and the little keychain loop that binds the strap to the riveted bracket says "LOL check this". The strap department needs a bit of attention before you start swirling it around your head.

But I can toss it in the trunk with suitcases and not worry, the shape of the fiberglass material make it quite hard to crush. Not as pretty as Jameel's, and not as strong as e.g. Ghadban's, but light and practical, it's a rigid case, and it fits all my ouds (so far).

Img_4633rm.jpg - 116kB
Branko
Oud Junkie

Mood: !?

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 12:09 AM

Judging by the look, I think the case is made of polyethylene or similar plastic by means of hot pressing of the flat sheets and welding of the seam on the pegbox part..

Ich bin ein Balkaner!
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 02:16 AM

Luttgut, I would have thought a simple nylon rucksack cover would do the trick and still allow the straps to be accessed.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/camping-outdoor/rucksacks/h...
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 02:49 PM

I think they're ABS molded plastic.

As far as I know they've always had that aluminium piece, but it doesn't really stop flexing.

The newer style catches are better, they don't break like the old ones, but they still rust.

They're definitely not stable standing, on some cases the little feet are in the wrong places.

The lid doesn't stay open, you have to hold it with one hand while you lift the oud out with the other, (well, twist it out so you don't break the headbox!)

I've had the lid fall onto the oud more than once, and the whole thing rolling off a table!

The top (lid) is not strong and can be pushed into the face of the oud...

The list of design faults and shoddy parts could probably go on and on...

But just to be fair, there are no better options that I can find in this price range, it seems that to get a really solid protective case you could trust airline baggage chuckers with, you need to spend almost as much as the cost of the oud!

Unless you're handy with tools/materials in which er... case, you could make something like jdowning's authentic lute case.

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4971&go...

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 11:26 PM

I think that's what I meant, and if you spend more, you can get more.

Shoddy parts? Let's get real! OK, here we go again! I am not worthy! I feel so ... unclean! I can see wanting the oud to be made from Noah's ark or the salvaged hardwoods of the first class staterooms of the Titanic, or the last shade-providing baobab in Mali. But are you willing to pay for stainless steel latches on a hundred euro case so you can stick your priceless oud in it and leave it out in the rain? How much shall we invest in the development of an anti-close-on-oud-or-fall-off-the-table mechanism? Let's not forget the don't-pinch-Sazi's-nuts-device!

A lot of ouds are sold with Sukar cases, they do the job and i'm pretty sure they provide a little more protection than even the most padded and beautiful bags, though neither is sufficient for airline baggage demolition-handling, my brother sitting on it, or encounters with huge animals lasting more than 4 minutes.
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 5-3-2010 at 02:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Let's not forget the don't-pinch-Sazi's-nuts-device!

I beg your pardon!!!

I am not worthy!

No, perhaps you're not

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-3-2010 at 03:47 AM

"relax people, it's just just a case ..."

You were saying the case I that use uses shoddy parts, I was saying it was doing the job without costing a lot, and that no design can cover all possible problems.

Sorry I forgot to put the appropriate :D icons, Sazi, I certainly didn't mean anything in the least offensive, dear friend. It seemed funny to me at the time. Humble apologies. :bowdown:
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-3-2010 at 04:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveH  
Luttgut, I would have thought a simple nylon rucksack cover would do the trick and still allow the straps to be accessed.

[url]http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/camping-outdoor/rucksacks/highlander/durable-nylon-rucksack-raincover-372495.html
[/url]

Hey DaveH, excellent idea! Thanks man

About Sukar hard case:

I still love it and use it (I have 4 now :) ).
But I don't put it in the standing position anymore!
Otherwise, as Fernand says, it is perfect when traveling with plane or car (I can put it with the rest of the instruments.. no worries!).

But still thihnk that Jameel's is a must have :)

P.s. Jameel, if you make again the Teal color please let me know! Thanks

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-3-2010 at 04:24 AM

Jameel's are clearly very practical too, and so pretty. At some point maybe I can trick a relative into buying me one as a Christmas present. :D. How thick is the padding? Is it thick enough to throw it in the trunk and not worry about a suitcase sliding, falling on it and breaking the oud's neck off?
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-3-2010 at 05:03 AM

Jameel's are clearly very practical too, and so pretty. How thick is the padding? Is it thick enough to throw it in the trunk and not worry about a suitcase sliding, falling on it and breaking the oud's neck off?

I believe you'r joking again... the padding will have to be at least 100cm thick to be able to protect against a flying suitcase folling on your oud :cool:

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-3-2010 at 10:42 AM

I've had the handle fall off mine... It's not a good case... but it's a good enough case. Mine is good for tossing into the back seat of the car... but not good for stacking suitcases on top in the trunk....

The hardware sucks.... but it's good enough...

Chris Walters
spyblaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-4-2010 at 02:03 AM

i bought my hard case last year n im sureit doesnt bend. i even put my heavy laptop bag on the peg box part while waiting for the bus. but i agreethat the strap cannot be trusted. its a nice hard case anyway. it has fell down a couple of times n nothing happened on the oud. i love my case.

The Oud is my life, n my life is the Oud
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-4-2010 at 03:10 AM
Under'Standing?

Related topic. Musician's Friend has that oud-friendly simple metal tubing stand on sale.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/FretRest-by-Proline-...

You can never have enough of them if you have a studio or a big house and several instruments. They scatter like sheep.

If you lower the top part to touch the oud, the oud jams in nicely, and you can then carry both together by grabbing the pegbox or top of the neck. And therein lies the aNswer. If you always keep the oud with a stand, it will never lack a stand ! Amazing!

damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Obssessed by oud

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 06:05 AM

I totally agree with Luttgutt, Sukar's hard cases though they are made of solid fiberglass, but under high pressure or in the case of sudden hit it can bend inwards, and since the inner padding is not made thick enough to absorb the shock, it can cause a breakage in the oud's bowel.
I tried it myself; just out of curiosity and caution; and i pressed hardly on it, it bent inward and resulted in bending of the inner padding.
So a word of advice, be extra careful with Sukar's hardcases, and handle them with caution...DON'T rely on their toughness.

Go To Top