Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Instructor in CT
Williamr
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 04:02 PM
Instructor in CT

Dear all,

I was wondering if some of you know where I can find a good oud instructor in the Connecticut area. I live in New Haven and I would prefer to find someone close by. I have had no previous experience with oud but I am coming back home from Istanbul where I am going to buy an oud. Would love to learn how to play the instrument. Any advice would be appreciated.
Williamr
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-11-2009 at 04:28 AM

Oh, something else, if there aren't any instructors in CT then is there one in the Boston and/or NYC areas?
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 1-11-2009 at 09:31 AM

Hi,

I'm sure you will find an instructor in either CT or MA (contact Peter Kyvelos in Belmont, MA for help if you need it: www.oudcafe.com/favorite_links.htm).

I live in Jersey City, NJ, right outside of Manhattan. If you are ever in the area and would like a lesson let me know.

Also, my group will be performing in New Haven on January 30th. It is a free concert sponsored by Yale University, so feel free to come out and hear us. For more info on that, check out my events schedule at this link: Maeandros

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
marmarzamani
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 10:47 AM

Hi Williamr,

I am in Fairlfield County about 20 minutes form the NH area, however, I play primarily Arabic oud, am self-taught and have only instructed others on a very informal basis.

If you are looking for structured lessons by a professional musician, Mavrothis would be an excellent choice.

Thanks,

Bill
Williamr
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-13-2009 at 10:03 AM

Thank you guys! This is great! A couple of other questions:

What is the average time span after which one would be able to play the instrument well? I have never played an instrument but I listen to a lot of different music (from around the world).

Also, what's the average cost per hour of getting an instructor?

Many thanks!
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2009 at 08:05 PM

Thanks Bill, I really appreciate that.

William, if you work hard, you will see definite improvements within 6 months to a year at least.

For cost of lessons, you have to check with each teacher. You are welcome to contact me privately, along with others in your area or in the NY/NJ area.

Take care,

m

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
marmarzamani
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-14-2009 at 09:40 AM

williamr

Since you indicate you are somehwat new to the sound and playing of the oud, it would be worth your time if you were able to attend the recital event Mav mentioned which is slated for the end of this month at Yale.

It would also afford you a double opportunity to listen to his music live and probably speak him as well. As you apparently intend on buying a Turkish oud, Mav's artistic background is well suited for that particular type of oud and style of playing.

Good luck,

Bill
Williamr
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-14-2009 at 02:50 PM

Thank you both to Bill and Mav. I really appreciate your inputs. How much is a good student oud in the US? I can buy a relatively good student oud here in Turkey for about $300.00 (including the hard case). I am wondering if it'd be a lot more in the US. If not, then I might just buy from Peter Kyvelos.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2009 at 02:54 PM

Buy a good oud from there my friend - have someone help you who knows ouds, and that you trust.

The prices here are very high in comparison, and of course, there is very limited selection.

Take care,

m

--Edgard Varèse
Amer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 04:15 PM

A fellow oud lover in CT? in New Haven?! :D

I'm just an oud hobbyist who lives in New Haven.. It would be great to meet you when I'm back from the mid east by Feb.. Just as friends here mentioned, get a good oud from a well known maker so you can trust playing on a perfectly made oud (it will be painful playing on a commercial oud, get a maker's oud ;) )..

Shoot me an email: ameradeeb(at)gmail(dot)com
or MSN: nectron101(at)hotmail(dot)com

I will be waiting for your reply :)

Go To Top