Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stinky oud?
the-e-vid
Oud Admirer

Mood: Maqamin'

exclamation.gif posted on 1-17-2009 at 02:59 AM
Stinky oud?

Hi guys!
Since I got my Oud from craiglist,I have been reading these forum for some months..
I have found a lot of interesting info about ouds,music and musicians in general.Thank you all!;)

Every body knows about the problem of humidity and ouds..
The house where I live is the worst place for having musical intruments..when winter comes,walls become wet,cold and some times you can find mold behind furniture...damaging my clothes,books,etc..

This winter,the first victim was my Oud,which I bought in summer.
every thing was ok until winter started.
I always keep my guitars in their cases all the time when they are not played,the oud was not the exemption.
But I noticed that the oud stared to smell...bad
I can't describe the smell 'cause I've never smell something like that before..what I know is that some odor is coming from the sound holes of my oud.!!:(

Recently,I took it out from the case and I left it in a stand,hoping the smell fades away..but things got whorse when the bridge un-glued itself from the soundboard!! OMG!:(

My panic is over now,I can fix that bridge,but the odor hasn,t fade out after 2 weeks and I fear the worst!!
Any advice will be helpfull!!
Thank you in advance!
Best Regards.

-David N.
omazuz
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 04:33 AM
The smell

I think the smell is the glue - which is bone glue- i guess.
U need some device to main ten the temp. and humidity in yr room- i cant think on something else- maybe to move to another region...
Amer
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 05:25 AM

Excessive humidity is softening the glue and maybe penetrating the wood.. This is why the oud is smelling bad.. Keep your oud in a (DRY) place!

Look up the posts here about glue types that are proper for ouds.. Avoid glues that expand (Gorilla Glue) and the like..

You have a nice oud, fix it and take care of it.. Ouds are very sensitive instruments
the-e-vid
Oud Admirer

Mood: Maqamin'

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 01:13 AM

thanks for thr freedbak !!
I'll find a way to keep it dry..
what do you think about droping inside the oud those little "tea" bags that come with shoes and other electronics?
they are suposed to prevent moisture..but I don't know..

Go To Top