Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tell me about the violin and qanun..
Amer
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 02:36 PM
Tell me about the violin and qanun..

I just got a starter violin as a gift from a dear friend of mine.. :D
I'm absolutely hooked on it, and I think I need to educate myself a little bit about them as I'm planning to get a better one within a few months ( the oud is still my love ).. Who makes good violins? I think I want something that is well made and doesn't cost too much -but better than the starter kit violin I have now-...

I'm also planning on buying a friend a qanun..
Who makes good qanuns? maybe a qanun of the quality of shehata ouds? :cool:

I'm sure I sound "lost" to you as I literally know nothing about these two lovely instruments.. :shrug:

Your input is much appreciated!
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 01:16 AM

Its funny I really want to start learning another instrument and I'm torn between violin and qanun. I've started the violin before, it's very difficult to hold the bow steady and g et a good sound.

I don't know much about makers but you should at least tell us what country you live in, because there are many people here than can help.
good luck!

hama
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 01:36 AM

Hi Amer
My Daughter plays Violin, I bought a good Violin by this Maker through one of the local dealers in the uk

http://www.hofner.com/siab/en/phpshop/89/page,shop.category/flypage...

Great sound and quality, very reasonable price

Regards

Hama
michoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mooud again..

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 11:01 AM

Hi!
One year and half ago my brother tried to learn qanun...but after few months he stopped, because he had not enough time to practise. He has an old and very very good qanun from Aleppo ans he wants to shell it
If you are interested I can send you some photos of this qanun, and soundfile, with the man who was the teacher of my brother playing this instrument.
Amer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 02:05 PM

Masel: I'm sure many of us would love to master more than one instrument.. I travel between the US and the middle east quite often, I'm sure all reputable makers ship world wide so this won't be a problem! I just need to get a violin for myself and a qanun for someone special ;)

Hama: Thanks for posting that link, I now have an idea of what I should get for myself.. I think I will still spend some time reading around and testing some violins my friends have until I'm sure of what I want to get..

Michoud: I sent you a U2U ;)
---------------

After a little searching online, I found out that there are PLENTY of violin makers all over the world.. But I still need to educate myself a little more about these instrument and their makers until I develop a solid idea of what I really should get as a "student's" violin..

On the other hand, qanun makers are very hard to find.. maybe due to the fact that qanun players are very few compared to other popular instruments..

Googling qanun related keywords gave me some results of qanun makers' names..

- " Rabea Salah" a.k.a "Rabea Al-Sageer", Egyptian?, (still produces qanuns)
- "Ali Sabsaby", Syrian, (still produces)
- "Rabea Sharaf" a.k.a "Rabea Al-Kabeer", Egyptian? (doesn't make qanuns any more)

The only
- "Al-Farabi" Syrian maker brand name.. website: http://www.kanounmusic.com

I'd really appreciate any information about Egyptian qanun makers, ESPECIALLY "Rabea Salah"..

Thanks!
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 02:37 PM

like i said i don't know about qanun makers but the accepted idea seems to be that the turkish are very good at it (not all of course). i know of a qanun player here in israel that has a turkish kanun (with the extra mandals and all) built to sound like an arabic qanun, which is what i would buy for sure because i prefer the sound of arabic qanuns and the versatility of the turkish. the only problem is i think it costs around 4000$....

all i can say about violins is that like any wooden instrument (but violins especially) they sound better when they have already been played so maybe buying a second hand violin could be a better option for you. cheaper also, maybe not..

Amer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 05:22 PM

Hi Masel :)
I think $4000 is a little too much for me ;)
Do you know any turkish qanun makers who produce "Arabic Qanuns" ?
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 11:45 PM

no, but it might be a custom job which would also explain the price

michoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mooud again..

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 01:16 PM

Hi all
Amer check you mail
Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 02:13 PM

Hi Amer

Re violins: my experience as a player is that you need to try as many as possible. I would agree with Masel that quality violins usually improve over the years so go for second hand if you can. Sound preference is a very personal thing and varies with violins even more than ouds I find. There are however, still some good Chinese hand made instruments which you can pick up for approx £300-400. try Hobgoblin music here in UK. I've not tried the Hofner link which Hama posted but they may be good also.

Getting good tone and pleasing sound can take some time and you need to be patient as your technique and especially bowing becomes established-there are no short cuts I'm afraid only practice! If you're enjoying playing then you are halfway there already.
Hope this helps
Regards

Kelly
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2009 at 01:15 PM

Hi

I was offered a good kanun in a shop of Mohammed Ali street in Cairo, 3 years ago.
I don't know much about this instrument, but I am pretty sure it was really a good instrument, at least by the craftmanship comparing to others kanun they were proposing.
At this time it was around 500 euros ( 3500 or 4500 guineh, I don't remember exactly), without bargaining, as I were abolutely not interesting in buying, just curious. So maybe it worth affording a trip there if you can, regarding to the prices you may be offered in Europa or America.

As usual, if you don't show too directly you are seeking for a kanun, you may find a good occasion there.
Hope this help.
Good luck.

Go To Top