Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thinking about a New Oud
nayoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Meditative

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 02:39 PM
Thinking about a New Oud

Hi all

I 'm currently in the process of planning ordering a new oud ... I haven't decided who I'll ask to make it yet (any ideas), but among the things that I desperately need on this coming oud is sustain and volume without compromising the structure ....

Naturally I'm thinking of Rosewood or macassar ebony (much less maple) and higher tension strings ... any ideas to help would be much appreciated....

Thanks to you all :bowdown:
Hisham

Hisham
wahid soltani
Banned

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 05:17 AM

Hello, Hisham

I do not know where you live, but if you want a very high quality oud, there are some luthiers to be avoided because you may be seriously cheated, if you want more information on palissander ouds ask MR Asara, from France, he has some good experiences, here is his mail adresse, good luck, wahid (christian.asara@yahoo.fr)
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 02:20 AM

Hi nayoud,

if we are thinking of the same kind of sound...maybe a floating bridge oud with varnished face.
Here is an exemple of the kind of sound I am talking about, is this the kind you are looking for?:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=sSjyxr3W1bQ&feature=related

This is a Fadi Matta oud, fom Lebanon. He is a good maker and moreover a very kind person, you will get his contact informations in the "Fadi Matta ouds" thread. If not, let me know I will send you.
I think this one is mapple, notice there is 2 bridges on this oud, which permit to use an higher tension of strings.

This time, to get this kind of sound, I am using a Belhaiba oud a friend lend me with a pyramid lute strings set P10 Matthias Wagner made. Mr Wagner is a member of the forum, you will find his contact also here.
This set is really high in tension, so take care to use it on a solid floating bridge oud and never on a glued bridge one.

I tried other ouds from Belhaiba,from this friend, and he is very unequal in results. So if you can it is better on my opinion to try different ouds at his workshop.

Another option, but much more expensive may be a double soundboard oud from Mr Faruk Turunz in Istanbul. I never tried the souble soundboard but the result seems gorgeous in term of volume and sustain.
Moreover the sound of Mr Faruk ouds, which is more than great to my ears, the craftmanship is absolutely perfect.

hope this help a bit in your research.
Don't hesitate if you need more infos.
nayoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 07:30 PM

Thanks to you both Wahid and suz_i_dil

Actually I never thought of a floating bridge out as an alternative. It should be a good option in this case. I never tried Fadi's ouds, but I've heard good reviews on this website.

About avoiding some luthiers ... I couldn't agree more.. I've had some bad experiences too.

Cheers

Hisham
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 07:46 PM

Hello Hisham,

You could always get my model from Oustaz Faruk Turunz :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7etDp94r10

All the best,

JT
nayoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JT
Hello Hisham,

You could always get my model from Oustaz Faruk Turunz :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7etDp94r10

All the best,

JT

Hi JT

Actually your model is what I have in mind ... or rather .. what I would have in mind if I had a few grand to spare on my next oud....

Ebony + Rosewood +Maple I believe gives your oud a very balanced (Bass vs treble) bell like sound with a strong attack and good sustain.... maybe I can take off a few options and some bling ... I might be able to pass by Ustaz Faruk on my way back home ...

Thanks and CHEERS

Hisham
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 01:53 PM

good luck with your quest Hisham, let us know what you find in the end.

hey JT, why don't you have two pretty ladies to play to like Bassem does in the youtube clip above? ;) I bet that helps get the sustain.
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MatthewW

hey JT, why don't you have two pretty ladies to play to like Bassem does in the youtube clip above? ;) I bet that helps get the sustain.

Sustain:xtreme: su-stain in red chicks I guess :rolleyes:

JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 08:04 PM

I dont know if it helps get sustain guys, but it might help get a Sustain without the "su" ...very bad joke I know...sorry...:D
wahid soltani
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 10:38 AM

Hello again, hisham

I advise you ,whatever luthier you chose to order an oud ,to ask strongly for a proper invoice and a an insurance paper or some sort of "garanty" because I am told some people were cheated by supposedly great luthiers in Britain and in France....My french friend recommend that the Wissam Joubran in Paris is avoided, good luck, wahid

Go To Top