Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  9
Author: Subject: My trip to Cairo
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 02:31 AM

Thanks All...

Ok so now I am uploading PART TWO (there are 5!) ---I also took the time to analyse the modulations and think I nailed them all (except one where M. shifts into a lydian mode for a moment - - - so I am not sure if he was just being "modern" for a flash, or perhaps touching on PENCGAH MAKAM?)...

I will post these modulations and perhaps Joe can confirm.

I was especially grateful to Joe for going into a LONG modulation to MAQAM SIKAH BALADI. This is a really OUTSIDE maqam, appearantly only used as a modulation, and not as a base maqam for composing. Many of the musicians I have met here (and almost all of the instructors at the OUDHOUSE had not even heard of this maqam). ...also http://www.maqamworld.com does not give a full description of this maqam - it seems that the scale is pretty stable except the FOURTH DEGREE is nuts. It seems that when you are in the LOWER TETRACHORD the fourth degree is played as a 'piano natural fourth' but about 2 komas flat! ...and when you are in the upper tetrachord the fourth is played as a 'piano SHARP four' but also about 2 komas flat.

The 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th seem stable but in unusual positions - like and extremely small hijaz interval. . . only a whole-tone (9komas) difference btw 2 - 3 and 6 -7...

Anyway, I can hear and play this now, and Mohammed Antar has confirmed this.

I love sikah baladi, as a kind of modulation when you want to sound to suddenly go totally nuts and OUTSIDE... as Joe demonstrates.

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 03:08 AM

PART TWO....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9TV_3Z6-40

JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 10:10 AM
Amazing Joseph Tawadros and Mamdouh al Gibaley - The Art of Egyptian Oud

This is amazing! This is oud playing!

Edward has luckily put these up on "My trip to Egypt" but I think it needs a thread of its own.

Its also great because it has JT playing the JT signature model made by Faruk Turunz and Mamdouh is playing a Maurice Shehata

Enjoy!

Part One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWn2ysvVUZU

Part Two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9TV_3Z6-40

Excited James! :D
fadel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 10:55 AM

hi

10000000 thank

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 11:28 AM

Hi James! I share your excitement, this is without a doubt some great oud jamming at its best.
:airguitar: For me however it's not a question of which oud sounds the best or which of these two top-notch players is the better- both ouds sound great to me (it's probably down to personal taste which sound anyone prefers... like apples and oranges), and perhaps if they traded ouds half way through the taqsim they might even sound a bit different due to individual playing techniques.
I think we'll get a lot of mileage out of these two excellent youtube clips. regards MW
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 01:48 PM

Totally agree with MatthewW!
I have to say that to MY ears, the Shehata Oud is by far better sounding than Turunz. Personnaly, I don't like the buzzing sound of it. And to be honest, I am not so keen on Tawadros impros: he is almost always out of time in the quick parts, limbs and strives at the finishings (with all respect. And this is MY opinion). There is room for honesty in here, right? :-)
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 01:49 PM

Sami
there was no crowd... just the three of us. Most of the moaning was JT himself...

Hey Matt...
please put the link to you clip back up - I was really enjoying that!

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 02:27 PM

thanks for the clarifications.
I was moaning too when I heard it and I wasnt even there!

Thank you so much for sharing this.
I am not going to hide it my friend, I envy you for being there but I know you will cherish this moment for the rest of your life.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 02:41 PM

Yes... it's great!

Been checking out more of Mamdoh's clips... he really has great feeling in his playing. Although he doesn't speak much English, I could feel he has a kind and warm heart.

He gave us each 2 of his CDs... WONDERFUL stuff!

jass
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 02:49 PM

Hello Guys,

This is Awesome!

But Luttgutt I cant agree with you there. I think Tawadros has incredible time and the quick finishes are actually adventureous but spot on exciting phrases. Anyone agree or disagree?
His rhythmic ideas are quite complex, but uses a beautiful traditional platform. Also, Tawadros' tone is very strong and present and the Turunz oud really compliments his playing. But I agree this will come down to personal taste and they are both outstanding instrumentalists. Apples and oranges. Edward said these are two of five, so looking forward to the others...
Great discussion!

:bounce:Jas.
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 04:01 PM

Somthing like these jamming sessions would make a phenomenal album, even with all the emms and aahs, they're definitely the icing on the cake, and a big part of tarab tradition - that's my only comment. I'm sure many would agree!

regards;
Melbourne
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 04:11 PM

Hey Edward

maybe you want to put these clips in a fresh post - otherwise everyone else will get the credits as they hunt the clips down on youtube :D

Really great stuff -

Thank You
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 04:45 PM

Hi James

I know what you say as a competition is slightly tongue in cheek;) but for me I don't even make ths comparison, what is going on here transcends trivial things like is this better than that, even apples and oranges:D.

These two have real chemistry and artistry together and it is a joy to here this.

Leon:xtreme:
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 12:57 AM

I've always been a great admirer of Joe's playing since I started oud and I have great faith in his playing, its great to see him here and it has introduced me, and no doubt others on this forum, to Mamdoh - wow what a passionate player, just beautiful ... hey you two(three??;)* are a perfect match:xtreme:

Leon
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 05:20 AM

hmmm...

I am not totally sure if the artists involved here would appreciate this discussion which (all due respect) sounds a bit like a sports commentation:)) (sorry)

to be honest, I would like to see comments relating to my thread kept on my thread... and also I would like to be given the authority to delete certain comments that I see as in appropriate (I get this authority on my own threads on other forums I am a member of)

not quite sure now how I feel about uploading the other clips, and even keeping the existing ones on line - if the public is not able to resist it's tempation to Judge and Compare. . . . . come on people, this is ART, not a MEAT MARKET:)

abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 05:44 AM

Hi Edward and James,

Even though I still havent had the previlge to see this great videos as I'm at work and no access to youtube here:(

I totally agree with yo Edward, we shoudn't be judging these great artists or this graet instruments, I think the vedios are here for us to see and share;)

So my first request would be for the admin to remove the title and some of the negative comments..

Thanks to you Edward for the trouble in making this materials available to us, with my best regards to JT & Mamdouh al Gibaley and the great oud masters Mr. Turunz and Mr. Shehata

Regards to all

Best Regards

Awad
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 06:28 AM

Edward,

I share your concern in regard to this thread asking for comparisons of the artists and the instruments, but I feel that it would be heavy-handed of the moderators to be censoring this type of thread.

I would hope that the original poster would edit his own post and the title of this thread to remove the unpleasant connotations.

Regards,

Greg
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 06:57 AM

...ok Greg I hear ya...
If you want to run it this way, that's fine.

So in this case, I will take these clips off public access, and people can contact me privately if they want to see them.

Joe himself has the full footage so he can post them if he wants.

JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 06:59 AM

Hey Guys,

Ive never been compared to apples and oranges, a watermelon maybe :D

Mamdouh and I are friends and I dont mind 'constructive' criticism, but I feel this thread may pin us up against each other and I dont think that its fair to compare.
We both have our own style of taqasim and we have a great chemistry together. Nice to come up in a thread but when I read the title, I instantly saw dangerous potential...its music, something very dear to us and I hope it can be appreciated as such and not as a competition that is sometimes and unfortunately done.
And as for the makers Oustaz Turunz and Oustaz Shehata, their work speaks for themselves.

Thanks for the enthusisam...All the best and happy ouding!

JT
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 07:12 AM

Hi all!
I was only giving my personal opinion. I am sorry if it created any problems. And I know that I should have kept my opinien to myself. But the reason why I did not, is that people here have a tendansy to tolk about JT og Turunz as if they are "Gods", and that TOO is not nice to other oud players and oud makers that are as good (appel/orange).
With all my respect to all.
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 07:29 AM

Hello Guys,

I apologise if the thread was abit 'dangerous'. I have changed the title. I hope we can all enjoy now but still leave constructive comments.

Luttgutt, I think your drive to leave that comment wasnt to be constructive but because you feel a jealousy for people talking about or appreciating JT and Turunz, this is not called tenasity, but appreciation.
I will admit Im probably the biggest JT fan and hope I didnt upset him with this thread. Talking about JT, doesnt mean its not nice to other oud players, plenty of other oud players are talked about and can be talked about freely...anyone agree with me?

Alot of people forget JT is only 25 years old (I think, or 24) and he has done so much for oud playing bringing new and exciting projects for the oud and inspiring young players like me. So to leave a bad comment because hes getting attention is jealousy which is not nice...I also take responsibility for I also brought it on myself...sorry again, and sorry JT.

Thanks to all the posts guys, Im sorry again and Edward I look forward to more clips please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apologetic James :)
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 09:15 AM

Its true, Joe is amazingly young for the maturit of his music, I remember meeting him as a rookie oud player but 40 years of age with two children and feeling old and young at the same time.

Good health to ya Joe:xtreme:
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 09:19 AM

Hi James

I greatly admire and appreciate your enthusiasm - especially for "oud - God" JT (not the ONLY "oud - God", but certainly one of them!)

Lots of opinions being expressed, so here is mine - - - I don't see the need for a separate thread to discuss these clips - at least not at this point in time. I KNOW you didn't mean it this way, but to be honest it feels a bit like having my CAIRO thread 'high-jacked'.

My feeling is that the discussion ought to be kept focused over there, at least for the next 7 weeks or so while I am still here. After that it any part of my CAIRO thread can be dissected and discussed on individual threads as far as I am concerned.

my 2 cents...

but this footage is not my property, and I am not the only person who has copies...

JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 09:42 AM

Gentlemen,

Im cool with it dudes...Mr JamesOud, Im not upset, your cool to post whatever you like and youve been a great support in the past, so thanks, but try and assess the thread before posting:)
Luttgutt has his opinion and I respect that, he's free (and I give him permission) to criticise my playing as long as Im not compared to my dear friends. Im sure theres others that may not like what I do, and to think otherwise would be really naive of me.

My only concern is when I maybe pinned up against my friends Mamdouh, Faruk or Maurice. The world is big enough for us to all co-exist and share each others music, except in planet of the apes (cant trust those monkeys I tell ya! :) :D :mad: :mad:

As for my age, I am 25, but look like Im 40...I guess the receding hairline and the hamburgers have taken a toll over the years:)

Happy ouding and keep smiling...lets not get caught up in to many arguments now...:applause:

JT
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 10:35 AM

Hehe nice one Joe - I am vegetarian but do you think eating hamburgers will improve my oud playing?

Leon
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  9

Go To Top