Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9
Author: Subject: My trip to Cairo
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 10:35 AM

just reading this now. missed all the stuff before the editing. glad to see everything has been worked out.

edward, if you want to merge this with the cairo trip thread, let Greg, Samir or i know....we'll be happy to do that...

JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 10:56 AM

Hey Leon,

I think its worse man, the more you eat hamburgers, the more your oud becomes further away from you and eventually you might need a flat back :)

All the best,

JT
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 12:28 PM

Hi JamesOud!
No, my remarque was not to be distructive. I was only giving my opinion about the MUSIC, neither the person nor the ape!
And to be honest, I can't find any reason to be jealous, and I don't have a clue as to why you assume that I was. Lots of oud players I like and admire. Never felt jealous of any of those players! And certainly, I am not jealous of Mr. Turunz (I don't make ouds). But when I hear how old you guys are, things get a litle clearer :-*)
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 12:35 PM

Posting has been deleted
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 12:56 PM

Hello everyone. I don't think anyone here would seriously want to do a 'game show comparison' between Joseph and Mamdouh, or the ouds they choose to play, or anything along those lines. We all know they are both top players and that their ouds are as well.
I can understand us lesser mortals getting excited about such great oud playing in those clips that were just recently posted in this forum for all to to see, hear, watch, admire and be inspired by. I don't know who owns these youtube clips of Joseph and Mamdouh jamming, but as of this posting they seem to have been removed, and all I get is' this video is private' when I go to youtube.
I hope they are back up in this forum/thread again soon.

I want to especially say what a good hearted soul JT is, any comments he has made in this thread about the 'comparison thing' have been nothing short of cool and brotherly understanding.
regards, MW
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 02:35 PM

Thanks Edward.

looking forward to part 3.

I have been checking your thread first thing when I come home from work.

this is such beautiful music.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
just reading this now. missed all the stuff before the editing. glad to see everything has been worked out.

edward, if you want to merge this with the cairo trip thread, let Greg, Samir or i know....we'll be happy to do that...

Yes... please shift it all over to the Cairo thread, and when that is done I will be happy to resume uploading the remaining clips.

my preference is that discussion of material presented on my thread ought to stay on my thread - at least as long as I am still in Cairo. After that, I am not bothered.

Thanks everyone for your understanding.

The clips are now back on public viewing....:xtreme:

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 03:36 PM

...went to an incredible concert tonight of NUBIAN music at the funky venue "MAKAN"!
got some amazing footage, will be posting soon :cool:

Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 04:07 PM

:D

Edward, those videos are really wonderful, thanks a lot for sharing this with us!
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Danielo
:D

Edward, those videos are really wonderful, thanks a lot for sharing this with us!

Your welcome...

here is #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tzs-5bOiZ4

abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 03:32 AM

Hi Edward,

Thank God order is restored now:xtreme: cheers Mike
I still didn't have a chance to see this videos:( went home last night after work and the links reqired login to youtube which I did to no avail:mad:
from what i can see above they are back on public viewing:bounce:
can't wait to get home "I'm canceling my Gym practice";)

Also will be great to see the Nubian concert too,
have loads of fun mate, I wish I was there with you:D guess what I'm already checking filght fares to Cairo for some time this year,

best regards to Cairo

Best Regards

Awad
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 04:05 AM

...yes! I am loving it here more everyday...

getting to know more and more concert venues and musician - and now finding it hard to find practice time:)

Tomorrow night will meet Hazem Shaheen for the first time:bowdown: [i am really curious to see how LOW his action really is.... certainly sounds lower than 2mm on his clips]

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 04:23 AM

JT and Mamdouh: clips 1, 2, and 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWn2ysvVUZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9TV_3Z6-40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tzs-5bOiZ4

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 08:38 AM

These are awesome clips Edward. You should see if Joe can't help you out with a visit to Abdo Dagher. It sounds like Modathir was there with you guys at Mamdouh's. Not sure, but if you haven't met him, it is a must too. I'm itchin' for a trip to Egypt now sooooo bad! Thanks again boss.

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 08:55 AM

Hi Mike
Great to hear from you... well, just to whet your appetites some more for this wonderful land. . . here is a clip from an unbelievable NUBIAN gig last night in this wonderful venue MAKAN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvPjIIHUpz0

...would be great to get turned on to more egyptian players... sure was easier when joe was around:(

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 10:48 AM

haaa Edward, your thread only give me the wish to go back to Cairo.
Such beautiful music you have post.

Didn't know so many instruments were now teach in the oud school, maybe this is the cause you found the level a bit low. I mean it is a pyramidal organisation, they first form a teacher, who then teach to more students, then become teachers themselfs...etc So I guess with all those new teaching, this will take a few time.
I learned a lot there, then it is personnal learning and practice and that will take time. All student take their own way...from the old school style to the Naseer Shamma clone. But sure there are really great players who have come out from this school.

By the way, if you are looking for the old school style, try to meet with the brother of Mohammed Antar. I loose a bit contact with him and didn't know if he is back in Egypt...But pretty sure you will enjoy if you listen to him
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Luttgutt
Hi JamesOud!
No, my remarque was not to be distructive. I was only giving my opinion about the MUSIC, neither the person nor the ape!
And to be honest, I can't find any reason to be jealous, and I don't have a clue as to why you assume that I was. Lots of oud players I like and admire. Never felt jealous of any of those players! And certainly, I am not jealous of Mr. Turunz (I don't make ouds). But when I hear how old you guys are, things get a litle clearer :-*)

That is great to be able to be free from jealousy... although in this case I think the more accurate word is envy. I myself have not been so lucky or enlightened. Both jealousy and envy are things I regularly struggle with.

- - -

Went back to the MAKAN tonight and saw a similar group to last night, however this time it was without the western instruments... It was great - really "down the NILE trance music!"

Normally I don't like east-west fusions but I have to say that LAST night, with the mix of 'nile trance' with some western instruments was the first time I actually PREFERED the east - west mix, to the original eastern version.

Another thing I have noticed, and a recent conclusion I have come to is that I think that this "Nile trance" groove music with gypsy women bashing frame drums etc.... I think that probably this is the REAL Egyptian music. It seem to me that the sophisticated maqam system is actually something imported during the Ottoman times -

Anyone having more accurate historical insight please speak up!

THANKS!

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 06:07 AM

couple of great concerts and the NUBIAN Performance Club "MAKAN", in downtown Cairo.

the first one was traditional nubian music modern style with some western instruments...

the second and third clips are of the the second gig which was purely acoustic pure nubian music...
this music is essential from North Sudan.

the MAKAN club is a wonderful funky little arts club basically an old garage turned theatre - perfect atmosphere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvPjIIHUpz0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOG4MeHZLNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou0uuPz-YQs

MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 06:48 AM

What a great time at Club Makan that must have been! really great funky grooves, the African influence is all there, an all star blend of old and modern instruments.
James Brown would have felt right at home! :xtreme:
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 12:45 PM

Just got home from a concert of Hazem Shaheen's group.

I in fact did not stay for the whole concert because it was not what I expected. I had an incling that this gig might be something like this because of some youtube clip I saw of him singing some light music. What surprised me is how famous he is actually--- the hall was just packed, and everyone fully enjoyed, clapping and singing along.

For me, however, I was looking for deep oud playing (more than 2 minutes worth), serious composition, interesting rhythms... and this sort of thing. Not to be found tonight unfortunately [IMO]--- I feel quite disappointed since I love Hazem's youtube taqasim clips and serious oud playing stuff.... so I will have to keep an eye open for when he might be giving a solo oud recital one of these days.

Other than that I am really glad that he is successful outside of the "oud player's world" --- Well done, Hazem! -

dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2009 at 05:14 AM

Hi edward,

I would like to thank you for posting all these pictues and reports about your trip to egypt, it is really nice from you.

I really disappointed about some oud players, once they start makeing money, they totally forget about oud and music. Some of them, even they have the skills to make serious music, they tend to make "relaxation" music and light music and they totally diverted from music that have value.

Naseer as good example, when he started playing, He made such hard efford to make what he have done. Now, he is one of the famous oud player. I am sure he was planning his career before he started it. The new generation oud players they dont have an idea about how the good player should act and should know what to play, when to play and judge which kind of audions they are listening to them.

The good oud player in my opinion, beside his skills, they should have knowlege and an "attitude" that makes him good player in front of his fans and audions for ever.

Either play some thing that has value or dont play at all.

Thanks
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 1-30-2009 at 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dubai244

Either play some thing that has value or dont play at all.

Thanks

Totally Agree with you Dubai. However, when the music is the only source to survive one can understand commercial music done by good musicians. They are in need to reach everyone thus they can make money.
When I was student, music was a good source of money for me. I used to be on stage every week end playing percussions, bouzouk, oud..I sung, anything that allows me making money because I was in need I had a rent to pay. There was some pleasure doing that, i don't deny it, but the moment I graduated and begun working I never went back to stage because it was really commercial stuff, you get fed up of such thing after a while.
But when the music is the only source to survive what one can do? he or she are obligated and bills are waiting to be payed !

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2009 at 07:21 AM

Very good discussion guys, thanks - it also makes me feel better hearing your word and resonance with how I have been feeling since Shaheen's concert.

It is difficult to know how he really feels about what he is doing --- of course he enjoys the commercial gigs... but it is hard to tell whether deep down he would rather be doing music in a deeper way - - - or, if he is totally fine with it, and maybe I am only projecting my own feelings onto him.

finally it doesn't matter...

but yes, I have had the same experience with commercial music - - - I began playing serious music (progressive rock) right from the beginning, but slowly moved towards dancable rock music in order to play for school dances, and later in clubs... in the begining I was also aware that a "shift" was taking place and that the music was getting "lighter" and less meaningful - but it felt GREAT to play at dances and be a small Hero for a few hours etc etc.... but later this became my way to get the money I needed to survive - and it became the opposite of fun - and the places I had to play were often really horrible....

Finally it got to the point that I traumatised myself emotional - slowly over the years... and now I am totally incapable to doing anything remotely commercial with music. This is probably also not a healthy thing--- like bouncing from one extreme to the other.

It is difficult for me, but I try to try not to judge "value" in music... like, "this has value/but this does not"... for example, last night, it was obvious that although I did not enjoy the music at all, still there were hundreds of people there who seemed to be enjoying it - so surely the music has value for them. So, that means that it is valuable music.

- - -

but the experience really set me off thinking, and in fact I couldn't sleep well because of it. A lot of questions in my mind - - - for example, why is it that 25 people come to see Mohammed Antar play absolutely beautiful maqam music, and 1000 people are willing to pack themselves into the hall and even stand to see Shaheen play sing-a-long songs?

What is it that makes one group attract an audience, and another group not?

Is it only a question of commercial music vs. artistic music?

Or is there something else?

After more than 25 years as a professional musician, it sometimes feels like there is a big "point" that I have completely missed all along. . . . . .

MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2009 at 09:01 AM

Dubai, katakofka,Edward, you guys make some really good points above and there is a lot to be said about musicians and their music (I hope I've understood the points you've made), how I see it- well I try to see it in terms of the times we now live in, the whole picture, like how the world is getting smaller via mass communication, how cultures and
their musics are ever changing and sharing concepts and ideas, in what ways audiences across the globe now listen to music and what they now like to hear or understand or even want from the music and the musicians they listen to.
OK, maybe Naseer played one way when he started out, but the man still plays a mean oud now in my opinion, and as katakofka points out, perhaps many musicians need to become a bit more commercial or whatever you want to call it in order to make a living and reach out to more people. This dosen't always mean that the music they create will be second rate, for a lot of excellent music has and is being made. music is not static, and it will change with the times, tastes and circumstances of each generation. A working musician needs to be aware of what is going on out there and try and adapt, but still play with skill, integrity, a good attitude and not 'sell out' too much. It's a fine line to walk.
I also think that audiences in different places listen to and perceive music differently now than perhaps how their fathers and grandfathers listened to and understood music. I think this is happeneing everwhere, including Arabic cultures.
Could it be that perhaps the younger generations don't want to sit through long deep serious oud playing performances where what is called tarab is built up (though this still goes on in the Arab world) or buy CDs of this sort of approach to music, or appreciate what is going on musically speaking?
:shrug: It seems that modern tastes, living, lifestyles, etc. are different and so a lot of modern oud playing reflects this. This must have an impact on some musicians who want to play 'seriously', but then see that their audiences prefer something different? There will always be musicians who will play for a specific audience, those who become more commercial and those who try to play the way the great oud or other instrument players of the past approched it.
To each their own. regards, MW
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2009 at 09:35 AM

To each, his own! Exactly!

I think that for me, when I am in countrys where I "know" the scene, I know what I like and dont like, and I know what is commercial and I know what is serious - - so I am not at all bothered because in my little familiar universe, everything has its own place - - -

But in Egypt, everything is still unfamiliar, and sometimes surprising and shocking - - - like last night... going to a concert, standing in line waiting for ages.... etc etc etc and expecting some serious oud playing, but only to meet with some light pop... it was just a wierd and unpleasant surprise!

But that is what is great about travelling, and I regret nothing - - - really got me thinking about these things.

Thanks Matt!

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9

Go To Top