Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: YORGO BACANOS
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 05:26 AM
YORGO BACANOS

please, does anyone have any source for mp3s and even videos of him... or bio info?

he is probably my all-time favourite udi, and seems only to have put out 2 albums... both of which I have...

thanks for any info.

I would also be interested to hear other peoples opinion about his playing and his style - - - what are his influences etc.

I heard his critisised in Turkey for playing in a kind of overly-fast single-note style which means that he is not making use of the typical Turkish decorations. . . . but to my ears he is still decorating but often it is so fast that you almost don't hear it.

It is not the SPEED of his playing that attracts me - but the feeling.

Also, why is he not mentioned much among the great oud scholars? My guess is that he is a bit of a Django-type character, actually a Greek gypsy, and maybe was not in the educated-classical circles. . . .??

thanks

gravesmo
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 07:14 AM

Hi, have a look at these videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s5bFsYgl2g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyixhravWsA
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 07:58 AM

Hi Edward,

Mr.Yorgo one of the best oud player in his time and present time. I dont know much about him though but his records are very rare, like most of the old generation of oud players where there records were lost with time.
that's why people dont mention him because they dont know him or never heard about him.

You remind of similar case in our present time. There is one great oud player that no body knows him as oud player because he presented him self as singer more than oud player, and this guy live in cairo by way. His name Ahmad Fathi. he is orignally from yemen but he lives in Cairo. The best oud player i ever seen but never got his chance as oud player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1na79QFf9cg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxObKZqFvG0&feature=related

Thanks
fadel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 08:13 AM
hi

hi

thes sami shadaraban for camil tanpory

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
fadel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 08:20 AM
sorry

hi

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 01:51 PM

Wow... Feti Barut sounds just like Bacanos... amazing!

---also amazing is that twice in the same day I hear about Ahmed Fathi for the FIRST TIME.
I was just at Maurice ouds for the first time and he was telling me that Ahmed is the best oudi in the world. . . and now you are telling me the same. . .

amazing:)

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 01:54 PM

Check this double volume of oud taksims.
There is a few records of Yorgo Bacanos on the first volume.

http://www.kalan.com/english/scripts/album/dispalbum.asp?id=3645
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 02:24 PM

yes... I have this one... AMAZING!

but such a pity that such a great player was not recorded - - - AND NO VIDEO OF HIM AT ALL!!!! THIS IS CRAZY SINCE HE DIED IN 1977.... IT IS NOT THAT LONG AGO!!!!!

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 03:09 PM

Indeed strange...moreover when I think of all those very old records from Tanbouri Cemil Bey.

I finally found the CD I was thinking about, you will fully satisfied your wish to discover this player with this album:
Udi Yorgo Bacanos
Traditionnal Crossroads, New York.

Edited in 1998.
http://www.traditionalcrossroads.com/

I'm sure it is from this label, but strange I don't find it in their website.
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 02:26 AM

Edward -

any photos from Maurice workshop?? :D

love this post btw!

regards

Sam
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 02:55 AM

....yes!
will post...

nothing too exciting however. . . .

his ouds sure sound great. I never played on such an amazing sounding arab oud. It is interesting because they are very very resonant, but the bracing is pretty heavy and the soundboard 2mm (which is relatively thick)....

adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward Powell
yes... I have this one... AMAZING!

but such a pity that such a great player was not recorded - - - AND NO VIDEO OF HIM AT ALL!!!! THIS IS CRAZY SINCE HE DIED IN 1977.... IT IS NOT THAT LONG AGO!!!!!

There are many many recordings of Bacanos playing masterfully in ensembles. Probably there are much more taksims recorded and Traditional Crossroads only gives a small taste.

By the way, the Traditional Crossroads CD...are those from radio broadcasts or were they released on 78s? I don't have the physical CD here to check.

I too think it's a real pity that no film has surfaced! There must be some in the TRT vaults? It's maybe a matter of time before something sees the light of day.

Actually I would argue to say he's one of the most if not THE most respected ud player(s) living in Turkey during the 20th century, especially among musicians. He possessed an incredibly high level of professionalism as a musician.

My teacher mentioned that Bacanos desired very much to be a pianist, check out his Hicazkar taksim he plays on piano, it's really scary!

best,
Adam
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 01:36 AM

Hi Adam

Yes, I agree with you --- He is my favourite, or at least right up there.
By the way, who is your teacher? Necati gave me your email, and said you like in Holland - but I never got around to contacting you....... so, better late than never:wavey:

adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 02:52 PM

Hi Edward,
Yes, Necati is my beloved hoca :)

Please don't hesitate to email me.

I was living in Holland for about 4 years but moved to Berlin, Germany in August. I like the scene here for Turkish music...more like what I've been looking for.

Where are you?

Adam
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 03:05 PM

Hi Adam...

Necati is a great musician and human also isn't he!!! Such a great soul.

I am in Cairo at the moment. I'm from Vancouver, but now live in Czech.
I will come visit you next time I'm in Berlin. Is there actually a Turkish music scene there?? Like, are there classical kemence and ney players???

adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 02:09 PM

Edward,
Please do let me know when you are visiting Berlin. I've only been here since August so I haven't seen everything but yes, there is a music scene here for Turkish classical music. There are at least two "amateur" (but good!) choirs here that rehearse twice per week...in fact just tonight I was at one concert, I play in the other choir.

Also there is a conservatory where one can study either classical or folk music. It's run by a very incredible udi named Nuri Karademirli. I've only had two lessons with him but just from those I gather what a master he is! So, if you come visit there is stuff to do.

No kemence players that I know of a maybe a handful of neyzens. One of them is now my friend and I think he's a very good player.

Yes Necati is an awesome soul!! I cherish every moment that I can spend with him and it's never enough, only days at a time.

Do you live in Prague? A neyzen friend of mine who lives in Bielefeld, DE told me of a neyzen (student I guess?) who he is pretty certain lives now in Prague. I can't remember the name! Want me to ask? It's someone with an either american name or he's from the british isles. Maybe you know who I'm talking about.

All the best to you

adam
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 03:14 PM

Nuri Karademirli sure sounds good on the tube playing Targan's piece!

We will definitely get together next time i'm in berlin, Thanks!
Sounds like really a lot happening there! you are lucky!

I live more near Ostrava on the East side of Czech.... I so wish to have a kemence and ney nearby:(

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 03:38 PM

Hi,

Udi Yorgos is my favorite player of all time as well, for many reasons. Aside from his obviously amazing technique, his playing if full of thought and emotion, and often rhythm, which always gets me.

The only film footage I know of with him is on an old movie featuring Zeki Muren. The scene is not a live performance, but overdubbed, showing Bacanos and other famous musicians in a music studio backing up Zeki Muren as he sings a love song for the leading lady in the movie, who listens on the radio while they are performing...

Unfortunately, this is the only footage I know of, and painfully short and fleeting.

There are many recordings available of Yorgos Bacanos (Batzanos) though, many from radio performances. I think most of them can be found on http://www.tulumba.com.

Ahmad Fathi is also truly amazing, and I'm very glad I had the opportunity to meet him in his home in Cairo with Mike and Maurice Shehata several years ago. He was very nice, and played some beautiful music for us, even taking some time to show us some pointers on the oud along with giving some encouragement.

Take care,

m

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
maran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 01:26 PM
sukru tunar, kadri sencalar, ismail sencalar on youtube

I had never seen video footage of any of these greats until I was shown this the other day by Kanuni Jack Chalikian. There's no mention of them anywhere in the information for the video but there they are, sukru and the sencalar brothers, right around the 0:58 mark. Apparently this is from a film. If anyone else has found any footage of the great old timers let me know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-jlmuHOZU
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 02:49 PM

Some of the songs on Hafiz Kemal Bey's album (an archive re-release from Kalan Müzik Yapım) feature Yorgo's oud playing. Not the in-your-face virtuosic stuff, but very nice lyrical accompaniment to an amazing vocalist.

http://www.kalan.com/scripts/album/dispalbum.asp?id=4089

Probably available thru tulumba...

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by maran
I had never seen video footage of any of these greats until I was shown this the other day by Kanuni Jack Chalikian. There's no mention of them anywhere in the information for the video but there they are, sukru and the sencalar brothers, right around the 0:58 mark. Apparently this is from a film. If anyone else has found any footage of the great old timers let me know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-jlmuHOZU

...is that Yorgo playing oud at .58??
who are those other guys?
who is this singer? ---is she a Turkish OK?

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 05:42 AM

No, it's not Udi Yorgo. I believe the person who posted the clip mentioned that it is Kadri Sencalar, another great one from that era, with a totally different playing style.

You can also find recordings of Bacanos on Saydettin Kaynak's album, where he plays a good bit of ud, and also piano in one piece I think.

Take care,

m

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 06:34 AM

by the way, Kadri Sencalar was the first kind of ud teacher for both Necati Celik and Nuri Karademirli.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by adamgood
by the way, Kadri Sencalar was the first kind of ud teacher for both Necati Celik and Nuri Karademirli.

any recordings of Kadri kicking around? I never heard of him!

maran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward Powell
Quote:
Originally posted by adamgood

any recordings of Kadri kicking around? I never heard of him!

There were two Sencalar brothers, Kadri played ud and Ismail played kanun. I have some solo recordings of Kadri playing taksims and a few ciftetellis that I took from some 45s that came my way. I'll try to upload to a file sharing site.

Btw this cd has Kadri playing with Ahmet Yatman and others:

http://www.tulumba.com/storeItemSmlr.asp?ic=MU9399155VY898&

Actually even though this is an ud forum I have some recordings of Yatman that I want to upload because the guy was a frickin' MONSTER of the kanun
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top