Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: degenerated MAQAM system?
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 09:21 AM

The other broader question, one that has surfaced only occasionally on this and other boards, is the extent to which "Arab maqam", "Turkish makam," "Persian mugham" (there was such a system before the radif/dastgah system was established) and/or other neighboring modal systems are actually similar or different (both historically and in the present). Yes, there is a Rast in Turkey; yes there is a Rast in Egypt; yes there is a Rast in Iraq, and yes all of them would appear to share a similar scalar structure.

But are they really the same? Sayyed Darwish's Rast compositions sound very different than Turkish şarkı which sound very different than... you get the idea. How much of this is a result of different composers, and how much can be attributed to what makam Rast/ maqam Rast actually represent or signify?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eliot
although I apologize if it came across as one.

No need for an apology:) we're just discussing. My understanding for compound makams is those are "composed" makams in opposite to simple ones (3 to 4 notes maximum able to give you the needed mood). Reason why I misunderstood you.
Best

katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 09:46 AM

Takasims for Riad

http://www.sawari.com/torath/torath/114/eyd/2/azf/sunbati-3ood_5.ra...

http://www.sawari.com/torath/torath/114/eyd/2/azf/sunbati-3ood_1.ra...

http://www.sawari.com/torath/torath/114/eyd/2/azf/sunbati-3ood_2.ra...

http://www.sawari.com/torath/torath/114/eyd/2/azf/sunbati-3ood_3.ra...

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 11:56 AM

I love Monty !!! But DONT CALL ME "EDDY-BABY"!:)):xtreme:
(joking!)

wow, I stummble upon the KING himself! That guy is the ESSENSE!

Elliot, what you writing is very interesting and helpful! Can you expand a bit more on this sentense:

"These kinds of named makam entities are themselves only a comparatively recent creation in Turkey. They specify a fixed motion between different qarar pitches."

You mean that the compound makam is in fact more of a combination of makams and a very specific and pre-composed way to travel thru the makam?

Would not a better term be "composed compound makam"?

From my notes I have written that compound makam can mean several things - or, there are several types of compound makam;

-one type is Dilkesaveran or Bestenigar -- in which you play a certain makam but FINISH on a different one. For example by making huseini or saba and then finishing on iraq. - i have this described as a "mixed makam"

-now... in the above type the IRAQ KARAR will cancel out the karar of the original makam.
But with makams like bayati-buselik or hisar-buselik would there be a DOUBLE KARAR? ...a karar from bayati or hisar, then FOLLOWED by another karar from buselik?

-what I have written down as the TRUE COMPOUND MAKAM is when both makams co-exist 50/50. --like kurdili hicazkar or bayati-araban.

-or there is another type of kind of ROADMAP complex makam... with very complicated SEYIR going thru many makams in it's course -
Is Sevkefza one of these? I have it written as:
-hicaz from gerdaniya
-to nikriz on acem
-to hicazkar on cargah
-karar nikriz on acemasiran
---mayan in saba on dugah

- - -

furthermore, the list I previously wrote BASTANIKAR, KARJIGHAR, SIKAH, NAIRUZ, MUSTAAR, or SUZIDIL MAQAM.... are all from my books on ARAB MAQAMAT and the ARAB MAQAM website http://www.maqamworld.com

...so obviously to one degree or another all these maqams are part of the most common arab maqamat.

THANKS!:wavey:

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eliot
The other broader question, one that has surfaced only occasionally on this and other boards, is the extent to which "Arab maqam", "Turkish makam," "Persian mugham" (there was such a system before the radif/dastgah system was established) and/or other neighboring modal systems are actually similar or different (both historically and in the present). Yes, there is a Rast in Turkey; yes there is a Rast in Egypt; yes there is a Rast in Iraq, and yes all of them would appear to share a similar scalar structure.

But are they really the same? Sayyed Darwish's Rast compositions sound very different than Turkish şarkı which sound very different than... you get the idea. How much of this is a result of different composers, and how much can be attributed to what makam Rast/ maqam Rast actually represent or signify?

Excellent point about RAST - and actually that is why I am down here in Egypt!... I wanted to check out first hand what these differences are.

Rast for example is clearly different in many ways. First of all the "segah" note have different intonation. Also Turkish Rast immediately touches on Turkish Segah, Ussak, and Huseini makams.

The latter 3 makams don't even exist in that form in Arabic maqamat.

Arab Rast seems to immediately move to Suznak, Nahawand, Nawaathar, Sikah Baladi (which doesn't exist in Turkish music!)

So there you go!
And on top of that the way of decoration is totally difference as well...

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by katakofka
simple ones (3 to 4 notes maximum able to give you the needed mood).

...are you considering a 3 or 4 note tri/tetrachord to be a maqam?

of course yes... when you play RAST tetrachord it MUST be RAST! or HIJAZ tetrachord it MUST be hijaz.... etc.

but you are considering the tetrachord as a full maqam?

so does that mean that Hijaz Maqam is a compound maqam because you combine hijaz with rast (turkish)?

katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 12:25 PM

Yep...My understanding for the makams is that it's related to the mood generated. IF 4 notes are able to give a specific mood they are called makam precisely primitive makaams. Early middle eastern music was mostly based on those simple primitive makams. I am here influenced by an ethnomusicologist, a priest name Father Elias Keserwaani. http://www.musimedialogy.org/Meso.html. He calls those Modes rather than makam. Check his CV, very interesting. http://www.musimedialogy.org/Elias.html
In this view, all current makams are composed makams

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Takasims for Riad

http://www.sawari.com/torath/torath/114/eyd/2/azf/sunbati-3ood_5.ra...

http://www.sawari.com/torath/torath/114/eyd/2/azf/sunbati-3ood_1.ra...

http://www.sawari.com/torath/torath/114/eyd/2/azf/sunbati-3ood_2.ra...

http://www.sawari.com/torath/torath/114/eyd/2/azf/sunbati-3ood_3.ra...

These are truly great! ...really capture the essense of what Im after in this music!

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yep...My understanding for the makams is that it's related to the mood generated. IF 4 notes are able to give a specific mood they are called makam precisely primitive makaams. Early middle eastern music was mostly based on those simple primitive makams. I am here influenced by an ethnomusicologist, a priest name Father Elias Keserwaani. http://www.musimedialogy.org/Meso.html. He calls those Modes rather than makam. Check his CV, very interesting. http://www.musimedialogy.org/Elias.html
In this view, all current makams are composed makams

I am really glad to hear that, and hear someone express it in this way because I totally agree.

In fact it fits in completely with what I am doing with my own music in the last couple two or three years.

Having studied the Raga system indepth I began to notice that in fact often-times Ragas can be broken down into tetra and penta chord - the ones that capture a particular mood in and of themselves.

So in order to finally try to make some sense and actually put to use all of the studying I have done, it began to make sense to me to attempt to merge these two systems. In fact what I have begun to do is to identify a multitude of Raga tetra/penta chords and use them in conjunction with compatible makam tetrachords, and thereby compose new compound makams - or "cross-cultural makams"... I actually call them "ragmakams".

At first I was ashamed of myself for attempting it - but after allowing myself to get comfortable in this, I realised that, at least to my own ears, it offers a whole spectrum of new melodic colours to either the raga or makam system - however you see it.

Now.... don't SHOOT ME please! ...but lately I have been having thoughts about taking this one step further. For example, I am NOT an Arab, Turk, or an Indian... my roots are in Canada and with basically blues-based music.

So, I began to also notice that essential Blue music is also fundamentally based on tetra-chords. Very primative Blues riffs are just phrases of 4 notes or so. So actually, there is another potential storehouse of characteristic melodic tetrachords available.

Taking this even further I am starting to be convinced that the very essense of all the world's modal (or semi-modal) music is in fact the tetrachord. Therefore it seems wholey possible to expand and develop the makam system to include characteristics from every musical culture the world has every seen (or heard)... a true WORLD MAQAM SYSTEM.

.....my God, now that starts to sound like something Bush would say if he was a musician:D

katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 02:16 PM

Makam Bush :buttrock:
Why not? Universal makam sounds great. Hope it will end up successfully:wavey:

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 02:56 PM

yes... maybe with the "corner-sewers" (like Bush)

...sorry:))

now back to the degenerated maqam discussion:bounce:

katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 03:05 PM

honestly I am with that..Degenerated makams just to make things easier. What is the purpose of giving a new name for one makam having siga on B and Bayaat on D? we know that this makam is composed of 2. Why giving it another name?:)

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 03:18 PM

Well, I am a very firm believer in "preservation is only possible thru evolution".

Of course there is a great paradox here.

but the maqam simply will not survive unless it begins to reflect the nature of our times.

What we live in now is the age of no borders - no limits - instant global communication - and universal synthesis... so why not preserve the old thru the new... recycle the beauty of the old into totally unique new forms?

...also this way each musician can create his/her own makam, or even system. Someone from siberia might know some siberian tetrachords, someone who has listened to a lot of thai music might add some thai tetrachords to the system. . . . and on and on.

katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 03:26 PM

As I see it it's a preservation of the name rather than the music:) because the moods are present it's just a matter of nomenclature. By the way, the Tarzanwiin makam that I mentioned before, it's a Kord on C and hijaaz on F (Do, Do#, MIb, Fa, Fa#, la, Sib, Do)

charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 12:01 PM

Hey Edward,I welcome the Blues comparison. Take that Murrassah for example:
C D Eb F Gb A Bb C. Omit the D and you have a 4 note pure blues lick: C Eb F Gb up or down the notes. Even with the D its still quite bluesy. Now my point is that we can modulate to this tonality within any maqam and it works. I have heard Egyptian players do this and it kind gives new life to the Taqsim, kind of refers to the world beyond the Arabic without losing the true oud colours . C
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 02:32 PM

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

in fact, C Eb F Gb is precisely the very first Blues tetrachord I identified!!!
actually, yes, mamdouh does this a couple of times on the JT clips... wonderful.

I would like to experiment with actually forming new "makams" with these sort of 'new' tetrachords'. Rather than just limiting them to fleeting modulations. BUT OF COURSE THIS IS A VERY VERY VERY TRICKY UNDERTAKING.... how it is done could either produce magic so powerful that it could lure a whole new audience to makam music - or it very easily could be a complete disaster --- as well as all points btw these two extremes are possible - and subject to opinion.

I occationally sneak a few blues riffs into an ALAP or TAKSIM when I reform. I usually only do that when I am already playing in exactly those notes, and the only real difference is in accenting and phrasing --- usually like a very subtle kind of jest, just to see who is really listening.... and of course return immediately straight back strong to the raga or makam home base.

But in future i would like to try this more "officially" and courageously - cuz after all this is the music of my roots. . . and if we do not honour our roots, what are we??

Oudini
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 04:16 PM

hey guys, im new to this forum and i wish i had 10 % of your guys knowledge of the maqams, i travel to egypt every chance i get (bcos im british born egyptian in love with egypt) and im going back for a short holiday on the 15th feb, half term (im a teacher)
I love listening to the quran being recited especially with maqam and often meet up with Ahmed Mustafa (vocal coach and expert on maqams)
i will post some videos on my youtube page (ilovemydeen)
anyways, check out my playlist on maqams expressed vocally.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9CBB831104C9607A
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top