Pages:  1    3  ..  7
Author: Subject: UK Oud meet No 2
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 05:58 AM
UK Oud meet No 2

Where, when and who's up for it?

I think Awad's still in his kitchen and might not be venturing as far as the hall till spring. I would suggest June. May's not good for me but I could also do April if others preferred.

I could also offer a venue if people want to make the schlep down to Oxford, but we're not that close to a train station.

Suggestions?
Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 08:52 AM

Hi Dave

Yes I'm up for it ! anywhere in 150 mile radius from Sunny Manchester . April onwards. As you say the hall in Hulme might not be ready yet. It was a good location with plenty of space yet it might be good to move about to give everyone the opportunity to attend.

Anymore for anymore!

See you all soon.

Kelly
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 11:11 AM

Crack on team!!!, Mid May not good for me, nor last weekend in June but all else clear so far. Lets make it happen again. C :bounce:
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 2-8-2009 at 11:40 AM

Here we go folks:D

June is good for me - Oxford would be great, easy for me to drive to, Manchester, I'd have to kip outside in Kelly's coal bunker again;) serves me right for getting high on the shisha :applause: ... Manchester would be fine too - so long as I can plan ahead.

All the best, can't wait to see you al again:airguitar:

Leon
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 03:52 AM

Hi folks,

Dave no worries, by sping time I'll b out of kitchen hibernation:))
OK guys, yes the hall is not ready yet so yes June, Oxford is fine with me so keep us posted and will hopefully be there.
Let's hope we get more people this time:bounce:

Cheers,

Best Regards

Awad
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 09:21 AM

I'd be honoured to host, but am just a bit worried if the centre of oud gravity is in Manchester that it's going to be too hard for you guys. Still, if you fancy a change of scene this time, game on.

We have a spare room (possibly 2 by then) and a large but quite hard floor for playing and sleeping. The coal bunker will be reserved for leon, just in case he can't get back to Portsmouth but you'll have to bring your own shisha.

General consensus seems to be June. Just for the sake of suggesting a date and getting it firmed up, how does the 20th sound?

There was talk of a "star guest" - JT was mentioned and I seem to remember he said there was an outside chance he might be in the country - you out there JT? If you make it, the bedroom will be reserved for you and we'll see what we can do about a star nameplate!

Also mentioned I think was Ehsan Emam, who's only about an hour down the M40. If JT is unavailable I could try and contact Ehsan.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 11:41 AM

JT will be in Paris till April 19th - then I'm not sure, so he may not be around in June. June would be great for me by the way.

Cheers

Leon
Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 11:44 AM

Hi Dave.That sounds good if you are willing to host and with support. Which bit of Oxford are you near? I have a large tent if you have a 15'x8' patch of level ground or can find a field. Maybe we could warm up the site for Cropredy! Open air shisha not a problem- we just need stabling for the ouds.

How are other people fixed?

Kelly
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 12:18 PM

Fields we CAN do, Kelly!

We're just east of Oxford (Horspath), close to the M40 in a converted barn. Should work well (but don't tell the Cropredy folks or they'll all be here).
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 12:51 PM

Woooaaah ...

... this is brewing up to be a good one folks:xtreme:

Leon
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 12:53 PM

Hey Oud gang (heh, thats funny to imagine isn't it? :D ) I'm looking forward to the next meeting. I liked the previous location in Manchester, but of course we need to give the other Oudists in the other parts of the UK a chance. I guess I'll just have to get lost all over again. ;)

Can do June and any other date, except end of July through to August. I'll be away at that time, visiting my mothers side of the family in Belarus (any heard of it? :mad: )

It would be great if we could get JT, as it would be an honour to meet him!!! :D Anyway, see you all soon, can't wait...
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 01:05 PM

Oh man, if this ends up being sometime in late April I may be able to make it. I'm going to spend a couple of weeks in London to visit my family. I'll be staying at the home of my Uncle in Cheam, Surrey. If not, oh well. Still something to get excited about.
Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 01:14 PM

Hi |Owain

Maybe we could jump in a microbus, put surfboards and ouds on top!!?................. seriously. I would be happy to give a lift from Manchester or from a station on the way. Anything is possible. we could have quite a coach party from the north.

Anybody from the east?

Kelly
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 01:25 PM

Sounds good Kelly. But can you play taqsim while you drive.. that is the question. :airguitar: But yeah, its very kind of you to offer, thanks... we'll see what happens.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 11:32 AM

Hey Dave, Whats your nearest rail station?, and thanks for offering us a choice of venue. Oxford or Manchester ok by me. Perhaps we should wait and see how many commit to attend and where they are coming from. It would be a bit daft for the majority to travel the furthest. Manchester was a huge success last year with a fine reception from the locals including the community centre staff who also enjoyed the meet. 6th, 13th or 20th June are fine by me.
C J michael's post in this thread reminds me that we should make it clear that all are welcome from anywhere in the World if they can make it to the U.K.
Also if we are to meet in June thats not that far away so keep posting folks!!!!
Michael
Oud Maniac

Mood: M'oud-y

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 01:03 PM
re UK oud meet

Hi

I'm not a regular poster on this board, tho' I have been a member for ages.

I missed the Manchester meet, due to not reading this board regularly enough. Have learnt my lesson and check it a bit more regularly now.

I'm in Bristol and Oxford would be great for me. Any time is good for me this summer, so June would suit fine.

Michael
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 01:09 PM

Welcome aboard Michael, I hope we'll see you at the next meet. :airguitar:
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 04:19 AM

So let's provisionally fix 20th June in Oxford.

I say provisionally for two reasons. Firstly, because we may need a bit of wiggle room for a star guest. If JT can make it but only in April, it would probably be worth bringing it forward - maybe that would work for CJ as well. Awad, ... our leader, ... you're also an essential feature, so we need to make sure the dates suit you.

Secondly, we're still mostly north of Birmingham, so if the majority would rather go that way, we can rethink. No word yet from Charlie in Newcastle.

I'll send JT a U2U as he might not see this thread.
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 04:26 AM

Dave, Charlie has said he is coming... look three posts up. ;)
;)
Quote:
Originally posted by charlie oud
Hey Dave, Whats your nearest rail station?, and thanks for offering us a choice of venue. Oxford or Manchester ok by me. Perhaps we should wait and see how many commit to attend and where they are coming from. It would be a bit daft for the majority to travel the furthest. Manchester was a huge success last year with a fine reception from the locals including the community centre staff who also enjoyed the meet. 6th, 13th or 20th June are fine by me.
C J michael's post in this thread reminds me that we should make it clear that all are welcome from anywhere in the World if they can make it to the U.K.
Also if we are to meet in June thats not that far away so keep posting folks!!!!

And I agree with you Charlie, I really loved the reception from the locals last time!
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 04:45 AM

Oops, sorry Charlie and thanks Owain.

Agree re flexibility.

Nearest station is either Oxford or a little place called Haddenham and Thame Parkway, on the Chiltern line which you can get to from Birmingham Moor Street (short walk from New Street). Think of Carrie Grant getting off the bus in the Nebraska cornfields in North by North West and you'll get the general idea.

Also agree with Charlie, all forners definitely welcome.
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 04:51 AM

Actually, thinking about Kelly's festival references, if we're going for the camping option, the thread name should be changed to Oudstock.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2009 at 08:12 AM

Nice one Dave :applause::D.

Hey Kelly do you think we can get Michael Moussa on board again this year. Great if so. I have a feeling I will buy an oud from him as soon as I have the cash. I wonder if he still has that one he bought along last year?.
Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2009 at 08:41 AM

Hi Dave

I'll see we can arrange the weather for the 20th too!

Meanwhile I'm seeing Awad this Sunday so I'll see if his Oxford connections are ok for some Sudanese muwashshahat.

Kelly
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 01:52 PM

Yes please!!! We may have another very illustrious guest too but lets see...
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 06:01 AM
Blessings overdose

So the good news is JT is keen. I'm a bit of an internet luddite and try to avoid smilies, but :xtreme:

The even better news (there is no bad!) is that Nizar Rohana also sent me a U2U saying he would potentially be interested too, which is even more thrilling. Thanks for getting in touch Nizar :xtreme::xtreme:

Only problem is, they're both available at different times - JT end March/early April, which would fit with one of the options we originally discussed; and Nizar from May, which would fit with the June date.

JT just requested we cover his ticket from Paris, which I think is fair enough, and not huge split between all of us. He could also do and a more formal workshop (he's too modest to use the word masterclass) as opposed to just a jam session, for a small charge. (EDIT: he can also do individual lessons)

So, we have the possibility of sharing with and learning from two fantastic musicians. I know time is going to be a factor in how we organise this, so what do you all think? Call me greedy, but I'd consider going for two meetings and I'd still be willing to host one or both, depending on everyone's ability to get here versus somewhere else. Just one logistical factor though is that if the maestros are taking the Eurostar, it would be easier for them to get here than further up North (I'm an hour from London). If they fly, Manchester would be perfectly feasible. I checked out a venue I know in London which is supposed to be reasonable, but we'd be looking at £250 for a day which, even split between us, starts to add up so I think that might be out. I'm reluctant to miss either of these opportunities.

As joe has asked us to cover travel, I think it would only be fair to offer the same to Nizar (He'll be coming from Amsterdam so comparable costs).

Thoughts??
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7

Go To Top