Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  7
Author: Subject: UK Oud meet No 2
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 11:28 PM

Hey Mike and the udis

Just took a look at the map ... if we were to meet half way between you and us we'd need to hire a boat ... this would have to be specially comissioned in the shape of an oud ...

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC-49GnjdTE&feature=fvst

if they can do it why can't we??

:applause::applause:

Leon
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 01:32 AM

:D :D :D Nice find Leon. 9 months hmmm, give Tasos a call and tell him to get cracking, may be ready for next year.

Maestro Bashir video is special, thanks for that Dave, yes we were honoured. :bowdown:

Best Wishes, Charlie
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 04:50 AM

Well maybe not ...

... he operates on Tasos meantime but the wait is well worth it.

:applause::applause:

Leon
Kelly
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 10:34 PM

Owain.Thanks for your kind comments on the playing. The Tassos oud brings it out eh Leon. I guess I'm a moring player. Have you managed to change the strings yet?

Kelly
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 10:58 PM

Kelly, your playing on the clip is lovely, you have some tasteful music and a fine touch. I was really impressed with the progress people have made since last years meet and how well their styles are developing. I Dont think the same could be said of myself. At least I am now recharged as result of the meet, kind of lost my way a bit and often felt stuck in the past year. Great to feel back on track again thanks to you all.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 11:03 PM

Lies Charlie! Your playing is fantastic! :applause: Me and Kelly were commenting on the way back to Manchester in the car. What sweet and gentle playing! However we were both a bit disappointed that we didn't hear more of your playing, and others. On a day like that, one can never seem to be able to listen to everybody! :rolleyes:
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 11:36 PM

Thank you Owain, needless to say that all were impressed with your dynamic and fluent style including maestro Bashir !!! ( and thats really some endorsement). I like your Shehata and enjoyed playing it. I think he and Sukar provide a mature and dependable Arabic sound. Of course we had the luxury of many fine ouds to play at the meet, all of which had a certain something. After playing your oud I have returned to Aquilla turks (tuned Arabic), had forgotten how nice they sound, especially the bass's. Also decided to go 5 course F A d g c, have tried this on and off in the past year and love the way it contains the maqam.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 11:47 PM

Thanks Charlie. Yes, I was flattered that maestro Bashir even remotely enjoyed my playing! I tried to learn his songs as he played them, but I couldn't pick them up... he was simply too good!

Hehe, that's ironic, I just changed my strings to a Mari set (thanks Kelly)! :D I must say though, I enjoyed playing your Oud and loved how it resided around G, but it's always nice to change!
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 12:00 AM

Charlie

I'd agree with the others about your playing

(BTW Kelly I remember you playing that morning and the video doesn't do it justice - next time I'm going to try to organise some decent recording quality with a bit of help from the group)

I have a short clip of you playing and hopefully it should be on the forum soon (I find it tricky to do this as I am ludicrously busy this week:(). What I really liked about some of the ideas you were playing was the wonderful exploratory bass lines you would allow to emerge. I think you are quite hard on yourself (I know the feeling, I'm probably the same) and that meetings like this great because you will get objective and often surprising feedback on what it is you are actually playing.

I would say that with time you will become less reticent about your oud music when you and us as a group convince you of the beautiful quality of your playing. I remember after the first meeting between you're leaving and hitting the Manchester Curry Mile, we were talking about your playing and how much we enjoyed it ... but again how we would have liked to hear MORE - the best compliment you can have. I think if we could have small group sessions quietly playing of each other next time and developing lines and themes and taking the tempo down to allow the sensitivity to come out then that would add a great dimension to the meetings. We are only on our second meeting so it will take time to develop.

Losing your way is part of the journey, but you can always 'find' the way by the attention and awareness you bring to each note and the space between them whatever you play, (I know what you mean though!!).

Have a good sunny day:cool::cool:

Leon
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 12:20 AM

The Mari's are also a fine set, I've enjoyed them. I know what you mean having that 'g' at the centre of things but I always seem to come to the same conclusion, the high 'f' starts to sound a little too piercing to 'my' ears and is so dramitically divorced, in a tonal sense, from the mid & bass register of ouds. Like it goes off on its own and musical continuity feels a little compromised. Each to their own though and I'm still exploring. It seems crazy that we have Arabic tuning (lower) then Turkish (higher) then Arabic again which is even higher than Turk. Wierd huh?

Best Wishes, Charlie
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 12:36 AM

Interesting you should mention that, Charlie. I found that on the higher tuned Ouds (with high F), I wanted to play Rast or Maqams that reside on C. But on your Oud, I "couldnt'" because the bass string was G. So I seemed to naturally keep away from the high F on your Oud... Isn't Iraqi tuning higher still?
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 12:41 AM

Hey Leon, thank you. I appreciate what you have written very much, I really do. You enjoy blondie and the lovely music you make with her. Cant wait to hear you again and for our next big meet. I like the way we are discussing future development as a group and as more join, which Im sure they will, this will then bring so much to us all as individual players and also secure a sound future for the oud in the UK. Cheers mate.

Best Wishes, Charlie
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 12:51 AM

Owain, Yeah its all so wierd. Now Ive taken the high 'f' off (no pun intended), and my lowest string is back to bass F and the highest string is 'c'. Everything falls into place. As if the low single drone and the high 'f' are distractions form where all the meaty stuff goes on.

Best Wishes, Charlie
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 01:40 AM

Good morning you fine people :xtreme:

You were all brilliant :applause:, each one of you have developed to the best since last years meeting. All of you showed an advance techniques and an enhanced attacks, I really enjoyed that especially DaveH I didn't have the honour meeting him last year as he was busy tying the knot:cool:, listening to him on his Ghadban was a treat.
As due to my own predicament of been there late, I haven't been able to play much but I can say I've learnt so much since and will continue to do so. I am lucky to have Kelly and Osman around:applause::bounce:

Leon seriously, I am thinking of getting an oud from Tasos if you could pass me his contacts again please. Mine will be a darker wood, a male version :D and I call him dark angel:bowdown:
so Blondie will have a boyfriend and I hope she woun't have issues with his colour:))

Peace:buttrock:

Best Regards

Awad
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 02:47 AM

Hay Awad

She won't have issues with his colour but I may have issues with her cheating on me - she's a wild girl you know:D:D I have the scars to prove it:applause::applause:

here's his details:

His shop is called Xilofonia (lit' sound of wood)

http://www.theodorakis.name/uk/frameset.html

40 Str. Alex. Svolou, Thessaloniki
Tel./Fax: +30 2310 - 231.647
email: info@theodorakis.name

His English is limited (but infinately better than my Greek) so sometimes it takes a little time for him to reply, but he will and he is very honest, honourable and reliable ... really nice bloke to deal with.

My oud is obviously Turkish/Greek/Armenian style so the sound is that way. I don't know how different his Arabic braced ouds are but I would imagine they are fantastic also.

He makes these with great passion and love, and they are all works of art.

Thanks for your kind words.

Leon
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 02:48 AM

BTW Awad

do you mean 'dark angle'

or 'dark angel' ???

:xtreme::xtreme:
abusin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 03:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ararat66  
BTW Awad

do you mean 'dark angle'

or 'dark angel' ???

:xtreme::xtreme:

Angel is the word buddy, sp:(
thanks Leon, I'll get on the case and hopefully next time we meet you'll meet the dark angel:cool:

Charlie my friend, that is an awesome oud case so well made and taylored for Blondie:applause:

Best Regards

Awad
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 03:43 AM

Yes I know Awad, we should all have good cases like that.(my joke was referring to all/any cases) I may invest in a new case soon as my Sukar case is slowly falling apart. Good luck with your Tasos enquiries, a fine maker. Keep us informed of any progress.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Kelly
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 12:00 PM

Hey Charlie, Thanks for the comments. Thats the great thing with trying other people's ouds and tuning you start exploring other tonal colours and sounds.

Owain let us know how the strings settle.

I can see Awad you're gonna have to do alot of overtime for a dark angel. keep us posted.

Now back to the business and lets get playing!!

Kelly
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 01:12 PM

Hi Kelly, the strings are settling down nicely now, I love the sound! At first I wasn't keen on the treble strings... but now they're settling...! THANKS MATE! :applause:

By the way Dave, I wanted to show the vids you uploaded to somebody today, but for some reason they have been taken offline? What's going on? :(
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2009 at 02:23 PM

Hi Owain, just checked and they were working fine - must have been a temporary blip.

D
abusin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2009 at 02:52 PM

Hi all,

Just had Osman around with the much awaited vids:xtreme:
So now its 11:41 I'd a busy day, therefore I'm starting off with two links an the rest 7+ stills will follow during the week end, just bare with me folks

[url=]Horspath June09 No1[/url]

[url=]Horspath June09 No2[/url]

Best Regards

Awad
abusin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2009 at 02:57 PM

Kelly, I just have to have a Tassos :airguitar: I've already started negotiations lets hope all goes well:shrug:

See ya this weekend kido:wavey:

Best Regards

Awad
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-27-2009 at 03:44 AM

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Leon
abusin
Oud Junkie