Printable Version  
Author: Subject: exercises without the oud
joklany
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-13-2009 at 02:47 AM
exercises without the oud

Hello All
This is my first post to this forum. First, I would like to say a big Thank you to everybody contributing to the fantastic forum.
I have recently decided to finally fullfill a life long dream to learn to play oud. So I purchased a Kubba Oud when I was in Syria. I try to practice as often as I can but my biggest challenge is that I travel a lot and cannot take the oud with me. So my question is are there any exercises that one can do without the oud?

Many Thanks
Jaafar
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 2-13-2009 at 11:00 AM

Hi Jafaar and welcome to the forum. Depending on how light you travel, do you think it possible for you to take along a 'travel guitar' - they are smaller and more compact than full size guitars and come in steel or nylon string versions- or find something similiar that is fretless?
http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/details1.asp/ProductID/4269/sid/126/n...

Though it is a guitar, it will still help with finger dexterity ( many of us came to the oud via guitar) and you can even learn a few guitar chords along the way and so sing a few songs at the next party you go to ;)

Perhaps you could inquire to some of the oud makers (a list of them is in the FAQ section) and see if any one of them has a 'travel' oud, or maybe even make you up something that is portable and fits into a suitcase; it's basically the neck/fingerboard with strings you need; the volume would not be too important anyway. There are some electric ouds on the market which are thin bodied as well, but we need something even more compact.

If anyone does find an oud maker that makes anything portable for travellers, let us know. regards, MW
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 2-13-2009 at 02:27 PM

Hi again Jafaar- Dan just found something that may be useful for you to take along on your travels:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8786&pa...

Go To Top