Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking to buy some broken ouds
Ohannes
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 03:45 AM
Looking to buy some broken ouds

He everybody,

I want to learn fixing and making ouds, so I am looking to buy some broken ouds, oud parts or junk ouds (very cheap ouds that don't sound that good)

let me know if you have anything you want to get rid of......

Thanks

ohannes

Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 10:53 AM

I have an Ali Khalifa oud that I dismantled for this purpose. I don't have time to work on it and am thinking about letting it go. It came with separated ribs. I took off the soundboard (which was nothing but a laminate). The neck is good. The peghead needs to be re-attached. I was thinking about converting it to a floating bridge (ala samircanada style). I am willing to hear offers. I paid close to a $100 for it. Let me know if you're interested.
jaron
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 11:43 AM

I have a fake fadel which actually sounds pretty good, but looks, well, like a fake fadel - see
http://www.arabicouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7757#pid4...
the peg box has had some ugly repairs, the action is higher than I like, but the bowl is reasonable, and it actually sounds ok...
maybe trade it for your beginner turkish oud?
Ohannes
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 02:49 PM

Jaron,

Thanks for the info but I am not interested in exchange. I am actually looking for more of Turkish style ouds.

ohannes
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ohannes
Jaron,

Thanks for the info but I am not interested in exchange. I am actually looking for more of Turkish style ouds.

ohannes

ohannes, you are in New Jersey? We just missed one another while I was visiting NYC in January. I have a beat up Turkish ud in storage that I would sell to you. I don't know when I'll be back to the US, maybe in the summer so if time is no issue let's keep it in mind. Unfortunately nobody else has access to the ud, I must get it myself.

best,
Adam
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 2-16-2009 at 02:08 AM

Jaron

Do you have any other images of your fake fadel oud?? I might be interested, just depends how bad it is. Some of these fake cheap ouds can have a nice bowl, and if the neck if perfect - they can be convereted into something good.

Cheers;

Sam
jaron
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-16-2009 at 02:50 AM

had not thought about that fake fadel for many months- here are some pictures-

it stayed in tune! it has an amazing resonance- and actually i remembered the action incorrectly- it isn't too high...

it's got a HUGE bowl- the only really bad thing about it is that the neck is too thick- chunky- i had at one point thought about reshaping the neck- this was made for godzilla to play

when i found this instrument, my fantasy was to add a theorbo-like set of bass string courses- has anyone ever done that with an oud? the neck and bowl on this oud are so huge and tough that I think it could withstand being made into an arch-oud, or theorboud
jaron
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-16-2009 at 02:53 AM

the bowl of the fake fadel

there is some sort of weird joy in bad ouds that happen to not be so bad- sort of like trying unusual street food
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-16-2009 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jaron

when i found this instrument, my fantasy was to add a theorbo-like set of bass string courses- has anyone ever done that with an oud? the neck and bowl on this oud are so huge and tough that I think it could withstand being made into an arch-oud, or theorboud

Hey Jaron, look at my recent contributin on makig my Fathi Amin Oud having seven courses. This is basically this idea, I think!

http://www.arabicouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8794

good luck and best wishes

Robert

Go To Top