Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Daniel Mari oud string set.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 2-27-2009 at 02:49 AM
Daniel Mari oud string set.

http://www.ostriesculpture.com/danielmaristrings.htm

I thought I would try these strings based on comments on this forum and the reputation of Daniel Mari. Besides, my strings needed changing.

I have to say Im very impressed. These strings have an authentic voice, the bass's are precision manufactured, very finely wound and they sing. The nylons are diferent from any I've come across. They too have lyrical quality. This set is Arabic low tension of professional standard and I recommend trying them. Its hard to describe string sound exactly but put it this way; If the Arabic oud could choose its own strings rather than the player choose them, then I reckon the ouds may well opt for this kind of sound, they seem to bring out the instruments innate qualities. Dont be put off by the low price, they are a high quality product, easily on par with the very best available. You can get them from the above link, scroll down to find. As our own Rojaros on this forum put it, "You may be surprised". :airguitar: C
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 2-27-2009 at 06:57 AM

Hi Charlie,

I'd tried these strings on Turkish ouds many years ago, and found them to be as described. The only problem was, inconsistent guages from set to set, but we were ordering direct from Daniel Mari with specific guages requested. The quality, and sound of the strings were never in question though. The 3rd string (E), or D in this case also had a very smooth feel that I've never found on strings from any other company.

Regards..Paul
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2009 at 07:59 AM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, I cant speak for the guage problem as this is the first set I've tried, I bought 2 sets so I'll check the set I've yet to use, I feel that Bill Ostrie at the link provided may sort any porblem of that kind. Glad you enjoy and appreciate the strings, I feel they deserve more of a chance. C
fhydan
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2009 at 01:01 PM

I just got a set of Daniel Mari oud strings.

I got the following:
1st & 2nd : nylon

third, fourth, fifth and sixth: wound strings.

Does anyone know if the 1st and 2nd nylon sets are designed to be tuned C & G or F & C?

Its just that every strings I've ever seen always had the G string in nylon, does this set have them wound???
Butrous
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-6-2009 at 03:38 PM

If the package says "1" it is C,

"2" is G and

"00" is F.

The "00" for F was my suggestion.

It was previously labeled "mumtaz" in Arabic. Older packages might have this designation.
fhydan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-6-2009 at 03:59 PM

Hi Butrous,

The set has strings up to "6", though.
that is, "1", "2"..., "6".

Which made me think "1" must be the F?
Butrous
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-6-2009 at 06:17 PM

No.

It is C to C.

(treble)C G D A F C(bass)
fhydan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-6-2009 at 07:43 PM

Should I worry about damaging my oud if I tune these strings on it to FADgc?
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-6-2009 at 07:57 PM

You mean FADgcf instead of CFADgc?
This would definitely damage your oud. It will either rip the bridge off the soundboard or even rip a portion of the soundboard with it, that if the strings didn't break as well. You should not tune the strings any higher than what they are intended for, as this will greatly increase the tension. According to Jameel http://www.khalafoud.com, tuning a whole tone higher will increase the tension by ~0.8kg per string. If you do the math (you are tuning 2 and a half steps higher), the total tension will increase by ~22kgs for 11 strings!! Are you still thinking about it?!

Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 4-6-2009 at 10:46 PM

Hi all :wavey:

I tune my oud DGAdgc, so it`ll be just 3 strings tuned 1 step higher=2,4 kgs.

Will that do any damages to the oud?

Another question:
Is it possible to tune a arabic string set (pyramid) up to turkish tuning EABead, on a turkish oud?

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
fhydan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Reda Aouad
You mean FADgcf instead of CFADgc?
This would definitely damage your oud. It will either rip the bridge off the soundboard or even rip a portion of the soundboard with it, that if the strings didn't break as well. You should not tune the strings any higher than what they are intended for, as this will greatly increase the tension. According to Jameel http://www.khalafoud.com, tuning a whole tone higher will increase the tension by ~0.8kg per string. If you do the math (you are tuning 2 and a half steps higher), the total tension will increase by ~22kgs for 11 strings!! Are you still thinking about it?!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus

I tune my oud DGAdgc, so it`ll be just 3 strings tuned 1 step higher=2,4 kgs.

Will that do any damages to the oud?

Another question:
Is it possible to tune a arabic string set (pyramid) up to turkish tuning EABead, on a turkish oud?

This is not recommended. Even if the oud can handle the extra tension with no risk at all (which isn't the case), the D and G bass strings will be tighter and sound different, as if they were from another set of strings. I've tried once to tune the bass F to G to use it as a drone for a certain piece on G and I didn't like it at all.

abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 06:08 AM

Hi Charlie,

Hope you're OK, I got a Mari set and was the only set worked perffectly well on my old Salmeen oud and they ring delightfuly my friend ;)
And by the way Bill is a true gentleman very helpfull, kept emailing until I got them and I was satisfied, what a great service:xtreme:

By the way I got his contact details a while ago posted by Mike, thanks buddy :wavey:

See you Charlie

Best Regards

Awad
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 06:11 AM

Hi all.

I didn't try this set before, but I'm thinking now of trying it based on your feedback.
If someone has also tried the Aquila low-tension set, could you please compare both?

fhydan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 04:43 PM

Daniel Mari strings are the <b>shoot</b>!
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 09:59 AM

Hi Awad & Reda and all :wavey:

Glad you like em Awad. The bass's are superb. Another thing about the Mari bass strings is that they keep a lovely tone as they age, mellow and warm. See you soon Mate:airguitar:

Reda, I have used Aquilla and they are good quality but I prefer The Mari set. Aquilla to me is a particular sound, kind of Iraqi is how I would describe it. My concern with Aquila is that the bass's are far too diferent in tone to the trebles. To my ears it sounds like 2 different instruments. Though as I say they are good quality and have good sound. The only way to find out is to try both sets. I think the Mari bass's are the best bass strings I have ever tried.:airguitar:

Best Wishes, Charlie
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 01:29 PM

Mari Strings are my first choice now - superb sets if you don't expect high tension.
The strings age very well, they need some time to settle but then develop beautifully ...
I sometimes think, oh, they are so long on my oud, I should replace the,. but then te sound is still so nice, I don't see the point.
Bill Ostrie is a great and kind person to deal with - very helpful.

Best wishes

Robert

PS Bill Ostrie sent me recently a set for the turkish oud for testing and I put it on my Copcouglu Oud. It's the best set I ever had on this oud.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 12:31 PM

A couple of month ago I got my beautiful costum made 58,5 cm floating bridge ARABIC oud (EADgcf).

I tried 6 different string sets on it (pyramid, Leonida, Thomastik, Aquila standard...) nothing worked really.
The Aquila's almost destroid the oud (the part of the ebony fingerboard that goes inside the sound board got a litle separated and higher than the rest of the sound board!!)..

-last week I gave a shot at Marie Daniel (thanks to Charlie here :-)
And the oud walk up, and became a new instrument!! Wonderful tone. Warm and strong. Long sustain..

Thanks a lot Charlie :bowdown:

P.S. I need to say that I am using the Aquila for the ff strings (Daniel did not have those). And I put back the Thomastik on the E base. The rest is Daniel Marie :-)
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-11-2009 at 09:02 AM

You're welcome Luttgutt, Glad you and your oud like them:)

Best Wishes, Charlie
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 11:37 AM

Impressing !!

The bass strings have the best sound among all sets I've tried so far (Pyramid, Crystal, Labella, Thomastik). It's amazing!! And they've settled over night :applause:

I was very satisfied :) and I'm sure they'll get even better..

And Bill Ostrie is a very kind and gentle person.. And his service is excellent.

Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 6-26-2009 at 04:10 AM

I tried out the Daniel Mari arabic strings on my turkish oud.
They have a very warm and smooth sound. Because of the very low tension they are not as loud as the pyramids I usually use, and they buzz a little ,but only if I do not play exact.
They make my turkish oud sound like a big arabic one:bounce: .I`m very happy with this strings.They are my first choice now!!

All in all......great strings for a great price:applause:

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 6-27-2009 at 01:42 AM

Great strings for their price, but I suggest replacing the g and c trebles by something else like aquilla for instance, as they sound and feel a bit hard and with no elasticity or reaction (but still they are ok).
I recommend these strings as well, as their quality and their low price worth it
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 6-27-2009 at 08:07 PM

I tried the Maris on my 61.5 fixed bridge shehata...the sound is very nice - very arabic, very old school. I actually got my set from Bill Ostrie - who was very helpful - I'm not sure if he is on these forums.

Not that one can complain due to the pricing - but I find the basses age quite quickly, they discolour - but as rojaros noted...the sound remains full.

Great set if you like low tension playing.
patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 6-28-2009 at 04:08 AM

What should you recommend for an Arabic oud, 60.5 cm fixed bridge, if volume and carrying power were the criteria?

I play in noisy places.
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 03:43 AM

hi there,

as I wrote several times, I also find these string marvelous - and as far as I can judge they were also of consistent quality (4 sets now used).

Mari offers now also a specific turkish set that I tried on my turkish oud nd I plainly like them.

best wishes
Robert

Quote: Originally posted by charlie oud  
http://www.ostriesculpture.com/danielmaristrings.htm

I thought I would try these strings based on comments on this forum and the reputation of Daniel Mari. Besides, my strings needed changing.

I have to say Im very impressed. These strings have an authentic voice, the bass's are precision manufactured, very finely wound and they sing. The nylons are diferent from any I've come across. They too have lyrical quality. This set is Arabic low tension of professional standard and I recommend trying them. Its hard to describe string sound exactly but put it this way; If the Arabic oud could choose its own strings rather than the player choose them, then I reckon the ouds may well opt for this kind of sound, they seem to bring out the instruments innate qualities. Dont be put off by the low price, they are a high quality product, easily on par with the very best available. You can get them from the above link, scroll down to find. As our own Rojaros on this forum put it, "You may be surprised". :airguitar: C
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top