Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Daniel Mari oud string set.
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 09:41 AM

Dear Daniel Mari stringed ouds fellows,
One question: do you play with a rather hard or a rather soft pick on your oud which has Daniel Mari strings?
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 09:45 AM

I play with a medium-softness, wide risha.

Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 7-3-2009 at 02:10 PM

Hi folks

I've got the Turkish set on my Tasos 'Blondie' oud and after three weeks or so on there they are sounding better and better - it has also been really hot here which I think Blondie likes very much.

I've found that I need to tune the low string up to 'E' from 'C#', otherwise the tension is too low compared to the other strings.

But a thumbs up from me - great strings, really buzzy and 'resinous' (in the good sense not the negative meaning of buzz).

Leon
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-8-2009 at 12:49 AM

Mari now has also ff extra string

see http://www.ostriemusicsupplies.com/marioud-ar.htm

best wishes

Robert

Quote: Originally posted by Luttgutt  

P.S. I need to say that I am using the Aquila for the ff strings (Daniel did not have those). And I put back the Thomastik on the E base. The rest is Daniel Marie :-)
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-8-2009 at 03:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Reda Aouad  
I play with a medium-softness, wide risha.

Thank you Reda, what do you mean by "wide"? Ya3ni thick?
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-8-2009 at 03:21 AM

No I meant that has a greater width. The greater the width, the more bassy the sound, and vice versa. I think u get the same effect also with thicker rishas of the same softness (thicker but not necessarily harder).

Benjamin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-8-2009 at 11:59 PM

Sorry again but I'm not sure I understood, maybe you meant larger risha?
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-9-2009 at 03:37 AM

I'm talking about the effect of the width of the risha which changes the sound. Check the picture.

[file]10121[/file]

Benjamin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-9-2009 at 05:02 AM

Allright thank you very much akhi! Now it's really clear!
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-10-2009 at 10:17 AM

Hi lads- with all the good feedback on the DM strings I think I'll have to try a set. About that 'buzzing' that is mentioned with these strings, is it pretty minimal? Do you mean that even without having a very low action you'll experience some buzz?
what do you mean by 'resinous' Leon? give me another adjective to catch your drift my man.
Anyone try their high 'ff' strings yet? I use a high 'ff' in my tuning. any feedback on them?
thanks, MW
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-10-2009 at 10:21 AM

I don't experience any buzzing at all! And I have a fairly low action..

Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 7-10-2009 at 08:15 PM

I think the buzzing may come from the shorter string length ouds...because this set is light enough as it is - which already gives it a brittle loose sound, and because it is an arabic set, then its probably designed with ouds of 61-62 cm string length in mind. When its used on the shorter ouds, like 59, 58.5 - that's probably when buzzing may occur - because the strings are even looser!
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 02:55 AM

Does anybody has an idea of the tension of these strings? I mean, is it more than the average 35 Newton of the pyramid lute strings?
I have a 58,5 cm oud, and it's not buzzing, or only a little bit, but for shure on a 60 or more cm oud it would not.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 8-10-2009 at 11:45 PM

No, no, Ararat/Leon meant that they have a rich sound, that wonderful oud complexity, not that they buzz on the fingerboard.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 8-11-2009 at 12:52 PM

Hi all

Absolutely spot on Fernand, I couldn't have described it better - that's why I said 'buzzing in the positive sense' - apologies for using the 'b' word so wildly :applause::applause: not at all fretboard buzzing - I have never had that with my ouds at all even with a good low even action ... and resinous is as resin is, so we are getting a bit synaesthetic here (I am borderline so my words reflect this), but the sound is like how resin is and also the smell of pine and cedar is how the sound is to me - in other words, complex, resonant and woody is the next best description.

Cheers

Leon
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-12-2009 at 03:22 AM

I don't know the tensions, and I'm trying to figure it all out, including the chaos in Matthias' tables. I got 2 sets of Daniel Mari strings, Arabic and Turkish, and I just miked them (that data is of course unavailable), but not installed as yet. As expected they are almost identical, except the 2nd (gg) plain strings are 0.028" in Turkish and 0.032" in the Arabic, Lord knows why.

Here are the current gauges in inches. The usable string length is at least 35". The quality looks very good. Bill Ostrie sells them for $7.99, he ships fast, accepts Paypal, he is truly a gentleman. The Turkish set includes a full 12 strings.

http://www.ostriemusicsupplies.com/oud-strings.htm

Arabic Set: 0.026"plain, 0.032"p, 0.024" wound, 0.029, 0.033, 0.040

Turkish Set: 0.025"p, 0.028"p, 0.024w, 0.030, 0.032, 0.042

There are 0.020" pairs available as "Course 0" for $0.75.
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 08:50 AM

Hi there, I'm still using Mari strings, they are still great and no buzz whatsoever ... but rich, as described - kind of authentic sound ...

I never trust the string tension as they are given by the manufacturers; even if they give some information on it, it's rarely accurate.

see my simple construction for more accurate measurment (if yu really want to know it and not go by your feeling;)):

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7868#pid496...

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
I don't know the tensions, and I'm trying to figure it all out, including the chaos in Matthias' tables.
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 05:25 PM

Hi fernandraynaud,

For a turkish set of strings -- .025 p is a little heavy for a top string tuned to D.
On turkish ouds for the top two strings I've used the folowing guages:

d -- .021-.023 a -- .027 - .028 if you use this same range of guages on an oud with the top two strings tuned to c and g the tension would be quite low, you'd get buzzing from the low tension, and the quality of tone for those strings would suffer.

Regards...Paul
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2009 at 02:04 PM

Hello.

I would like to try these strings ( arabic set ) on a 62cm string length oud, actually setted with a Labella set wich offer a satisfying tension but a too small sound. Do you think I can install it with a approximatively same tension for the same tuning ( C GG AA DD gg cc )?
Thanks,

Francis
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 11:15 AM

Quite strange !

I've never heard this before : I bought DM's strings because of your comments but after 2 weeks I still have the same problem on the AA strings. When I pluck them open both sound perfect, and more I play far away from the nut more the 2 strings sound different. On C I've got a difference between the 2 strings about 20 cents ! It never happened before and I can't understand why... Did Anybody have this problem on DM or an other brand ?
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bayyati Shuri.....

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 12:16 PM

Hi David!:wavey:

Quote: Originally posted by David.B  

Did Anybody have this problem on DM or an other brand ?

I got the same problem a few days back... It happen on my trebles. I bought PVF from hank levin and PVF Pyramids also.

When I pluck them open both sound perfect, and more I play far away from the nut more the 2 strings sound different. On C I've got a difference between the 2 strings about 20 cents !

I think it is something to do with matching. I bought Like 4 sets of PVF and when I tuned my high c and played far especially near the neck joint one string is flat a little bit. but when I played the pair string on open position it was fine.

what i did is I swap the other string from the other new packet of string and put it. Waallla it was fine.

Funny as it may seem Before I figure out what I needed to do is I tried also tuning B4 the string perfectly while I'm on the High Position and when I hit the open strings it oout of tune.:D

I think the Pairs are not good match to each other on their frequencies of matter. So you have an different note.

So just swap strings if it does not work swap the old again to a new string (Not the one u have change already)

This will surely solve the problem. I'm not a scientist or physist but finding the right match of string will be the answer. Mass or density of matter maybe?:D

Cheers hope this helps!

Philip:buttrock:

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 12:42 PM

David, I've seen this problem very rarely, never yet on oud. All it takes is a slightly defective string, wrapping error, core problem, any manufacturing mishap. That can happen on any production line, and nobody tests all their strings because you would have to take them up to pitch, which would make them no longer new, and it would take far too long to test pitches anyway. So every manufacturer spot samples their production and does what they can to visually inspect. As you know, you don't notice anything visually. You won't notice it right away on guitars or basses or violins the way you did, because you must have double strings to hear the difference. What you will notice is a string that can't be tuned quite right, some people vaguely complain, but most don't even notice. On the oud it "sticks out like a sore thumb".

Have you ever worked in manufacturing? I'm amazed anything works in the world, when you see how most people approach their jobs. I would expect all airplanes to fall out of the sky. I don't think this is a big deal, it happens to every manufacturer, you should immediately contact the supplier, state your problem, express your dissatisfaction, and simply request a new set ASAP, or if you want, just the AA pair. Personally I'd replace the whole set anyway, start over.

I don't think this is in any way related, but with Mari the feeling I get is that they are refining various aspects of the oud sets. They have changed details at times, and have solicited feedback. They just sent me a slightly longer set as I was commenting about the length of their bass strings for a 62 cm scale. If one set is going to "fit all", including floating bridge long scale down to Turkish, that's a lot of potentially wasted material, yet there has to be enough length to tie the bass string normally.
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 09:48 AM

Thanks Philip,

I saw your post about the subject but I did not read it, I didn't feel concern... now I am ;)

Tony,

Thanks for your explanation too, I understand why it can sound different now.

Yes I worked in manufacturing (maybe to much for my taste) and right now I'm working in one in France closed to Orly (airport) with disabled (I'm a monitor). Happily it's not aeronautic :D. I'm going to follow your advice and ask for a new set. BTW I need to play and I go back on Kürschner this time until I get the new set (if it works).

About the length of their bass strings : I would say the CC one is just on my Sukar !

About my feeling : Great playability ! Really it changes my life. DM allowed many imperfections from the player and you're more relax. At the opposite I find them a little too "electric", now I wonder, it might come from a little difference on 1 or 2 other pairs, but something lighter than my AA...

BTW, thanks for your answers guys :)

FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bayyati Shuri.....

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 04:58 PM

Thanks Philip,

I saw your post about the subject but I did not read it, I didn't feel concern... now I am ;)

No Problem David.B!

At the opposite I find them a little too "electric",

Sorry can u explain what do u mean by this....

Thanks

Flipo:airguitar:

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 12:03 AM

Philip,

Do you use http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ ?

It drives me crazy but I can't export from .aup to .mp3 or WAVE, always many cuts... So this is the original recorded with Audacity.

This is what I would call "deep" and "smooth", with Kürschner :

http://www.4shared.com/file/170333313/988ec478/Sukar_Oud_Mod1__Krsc...

Still with Kürschner, the note AA then each string, and C then each string (Sorry, on C it buzzes a little bit, my Sukar Mod.1 is old and the fingerboard used) :

http://www.4shared.com/file/170333360/4ec60305/Sukar_Oud_Mod1__Krsc...

Now what I would call "clear" and "electric" with MY Daniel Mari :

http://www.4shared.com/file/170333417/9aac16e4/Sukar_Oud_Mod8__Dani...

Still with Daniel Mari, the note AA then each string, and C then each string :

http://www.4shared.com/file/170333491/bb1639d9/Sukar_Oud_Mod8__Dani...

When I have this feeling : "electric", it might come from the tension between the 2 strings with a different tuning...

Bill is going to send to me a new set, so I wait and see :shrug:

PS
I don't know if anybody understand the way I write the notes ?!

From the lowest to the highest register per string :

CC DD EE
FF GG
AA BB C
D E F
G A B
c d e f g a b c'
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top