Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: UK oud players - Workshop at Oxford
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 01:39 PM
UK oud players - Workshop at Oxford

Issa Boulos will be doing a 1 week residency at Oxford.

Here's some of the events:

http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/events/events-by-tags.html?cal_month=01&a...
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2009 at 09:28 AM

Thanks so much for posting this samzayed. I've just signed up. If you hadn't posted this and if I hadn't dropped in to the forums now, I would have missed it.

It's short notice, but if anyone else wants to go to the Thursday and Friday events and needs a room for Thursday night, ahlan wa sahlan. Luckily I'm a student at the moment so can make it (my study break is already dangerously extended, though, but what the hell, opportunities like this don't come too often in the UK so I have to take the time off).
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 3-3-2009 at 09:01 PM

No problem, tell Issa his friend Sam in Chicago says hello :) Wish I was there!
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 03:20 AM

So I went along. What a blast. I just wish there could have been more time. We had a morning's worth of workshop, a seminar in which Issa discussed his approach to music, and a completely enchanting concert featuring mainly settings of poems by Issa, other contemporary palestinian poets, and pieces from his settings of Al Hallaj.

(As an aside, I highly recommend Issa's CD of Al Hallaj poetry settings. It's probably fair to say it features composition and poetry more than pure instrumentalism. But it all makes for a fantastic whole and having listened to Issa sharing his thoughts on his approach to music, I feel I can appreciate it even more).

Unfortunately, I missed a performance by the group of 'Inta Omri and other pieces.

As another aside though, it's fascinating to sit with students from the University Faculty of Music working on arabic pieces with which they're unfamiliar. I basically had to give up on Inta Omri as I'd never previously studied it and can't sight read well enough for something as long and complex as that. I could just about keep up on some of the shorter pieces though and that was great fun playing with people - I rarely get the chance and it gives you a lot better feel for problems like ornamentation. Even with almost no previous exposure to arabic music though, these people can actually make a lot of progress very quickly (it might have something to do with young brains too!). It makes me regret not having made more of an effort to learn Western music formally.

Us self-taught people can go on about how we're open and adaptable, but a formal musical training will actually get you a long way in any musical tradition, and certainly doesn't necessarily close your mind.

Anyway, basically, a brilliant and rare opportunity right on my doorstep to learn from a fantastic and original musician and a really inspiring teacher.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 3-13-2009 at 03:29 AM

Dave, Im wondering if this experience makes you feel we should consider more carefully having someone to do a workshop at the UK oud meet no:2.? C
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 04:17 AM

Hi Charlie and thanks for the U2U -sorry for missing it.

I think your point in the other thread is still valid - having a workshop is a different thing from having a social get-together and learning from one another. I would love to get someone over at some point as I'm really beginning to feel the isolation of this little island where arabic music is concerned. Issa was a perfect counter to that as, as well as being a fine musician, he has really interesting thoughts (on things like that perpetual debate on this forum on tradition vs innovation) and is a great communicator.

So I think the best bet might be to have the get-together and use it to plan another workshop for those who are interested. It's a shame we've missed Joe, but Nizar is around till early August. I'd love to get him.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 10:11 AM

Hi Dave and Charlie

I agree with you both and I think that a workshop is probably distinct to a get together. It doesn't mean we can't have both though and if there is the ability to organise something then I for one would be intrested in both.

Best wishes

Leon

Go To Top