--- 6 (42.86%)
No --- 8 (57.14%)

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Professional Hard Cases
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 03:57 AM
Professional Hard Cases

Good day fellas.

A good friend of mine has the skills and is equipped to produce very high quality hard cases. These would be comparable in quality and finish to a professional violin and guitar hard case. Built with the same quality materials and using quality fittings.
The plan is to make 4 different molds in order to accommodate the majority of oud sizes. (from turkish to arabic)

However, before he goes ahead and produces such molds to build the prototypes of the hard cases, he has asked me to see how many people would be in the market for such hard cases.

The current projected retail price would be somewnear between 400$ for the hard case.

please answer, Yes or No
whether your are or wouldn't be interested in purchasing this type of professional hard case.
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 06:22 AM

I think it's a very good idea, but.. don't you think it's quite expensive? I used to have a nice one bought in a shop in Rome, and it was between 100 and 150 euro\ For sure not more that 150.
but maybe you are talking about much better hard cases, even if I don't understand how a case can be "better" or "worse" as long as it keeps your oud safe.. And this one did it.
Unfortunately I gave it away because it didn't fit with the oud I have now. The bad thing about hard cases is that you have to try them before buyng them..
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 06:30 AM

yes these would extremely high quality cases. unlike many of the ones you can find today.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 07:51 AM

I would be interested, as long as they were of a quality that would match the price.

Maybe not this fancy: http://www.caltoncases.com/

but I would expect something excellent.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 11:13 AM

Yes in the poll :D
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 08:01 PM

I shouldnt have put a NO answer to the poll...

It was always to be expected since statisticaly, there is a higher percentage of people who have inexpensive ouds.

of course, no one would ever put a 300$ oud in a 400$ case.
even buying a 400$ case for a 500 or 600$ oud would probably be rare.

Anyone with precious vintage ouds or with newer custom made instruments would appreciate such a case.
Also, there was talk about making these high quality cases for oud makers around the world.

the calton cases are verry nice Brian.
I will find out more information on how these futur cases would compare to the calton cases.
Also, I should metion that the design of the cases will be made by Saad Al-Tayyar who has many years building some of the finest ouds in the world. so he will be involved with the production and the design of these cases.
Anyone who has seen his ouds or who has met him before would know that it is someone who is constantly seeking excellence.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 08:12 PM

Hi Samir,

I think I might be interested, though I have been disappointed by expensive cases before.

There would definitely need to be some extra features (aside from a strong, solid exterior which does not chip easily and extensive interior cushioning), including a practical compartment which does not open on its own, a hygrometer, and also something that could accommodate a humidifier securely (perhaps having a built-in and effective humidifier).

Straps for carrying on the back like a backpack would be nice too.

Another important point is how the case is balanced when you carry it by the handle. It should be comfortable regardless of the orientation, and also, the case should not be too heavy.

Lastly, it should accommodate inserting the oud bowl first - that is, the area for the pegbox should not be so tight or constraining that you have to put the oud in pegbox first. Many cases have this issue, and I think it's awkward and dangerous.

Is this all possible? If not, I don't think I would pay $300-400 again for a case.

Thanks my friend,

m

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 12:22 AM

Hi Mavrothis [edit - sorry, Samir!!]

If I hadn't already invested in an expensive hard case I would definitely be up for it. Can I ask what material you're talking about? I presume some form of glass fibre, but for that price I'd really be looking for something very strong and very light, like carbon fibre or kevlar, though I know cases made from these materials are usually a bit more pricey.

My current case is very strong and cost me a similar amount custom made (though prices in the UK are higher). The disadvantage is that it's plywood and so, to be honest, I think the weight makes it not worth the cost (though it's excellent for doing battle for pushy, pavement-hogging Londoners when I'm up there). As you're talking about moulds, I'm assuming you'd be mass-producing them to general oud sizes - arabic and turkish - so would be able to bring down the cost.

I'd posted this link a while ago, but just so you can see the competition you're up against.

http://www.rchcases.it/liuti.htm
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 05:50 AM

i will get information on the exact material. i kmow that kevlar and carbon fibre was discussed. however those would be quite higher in price.

mav: these are all things that will be looked at for the first few prototypes.

thank you guys for your help.
this will really be a oud player's case.
GeorgeK
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 06:41 AM

Hi Samir,

I'm also interested in this case, I look forward to reading more of the details on its construction.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 11:53 AM

Hello Samir
I might be interested, depends also on the features Mavrothis was talking about.
Regards
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 05:35 PM

Mr. AL-TAYYAR is someone I respect greatly, he is someone who invests great amount of energy and research into what he does best: ouds. He dedicates his life to Arabic classical music instruments, he deserves our encouragements.

This case will certainly be essential for professional grade instruments, such as the ones he builds.

G'luck and can't wait to see the outcome.

chaldo
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 07:07 PM

I would be interested if the case has a good humidifier in it
thanks samir

Go To Top