Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: drifting out of tune
Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 11:46 PM
drifting out of tune

Playing outdoors every weekend at a ren fest, having an annoying problem with my g course (only) drifting out of tune when the sunlight changes.

Currently playing with a two-month-old set of La Bella OU-80 strings on my Shehata, CFADGC tuning, with good pegs (and I never have this problem indoors). Will change back to Aquila lights or maybe try a set of Necati Celik Turkish strings at my next change, but I'm reluctant to change strings with only a few days for them to stretch before the next weekend, unless more experienced players can tell me that this would work.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any advice about getting better tuning stability on low-heat-capacity nylon strings when their temperature changes in the middle of a set? Worse yet, in the middle of piece.

mike
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 09:32 AM

Hey Mike, I had similar issues when playing at the Carolina Renn Faire this year... I would just try to keep the instrument in the shade (since I played in a covered section -- ie, same temp as the ambient.... and then tune 5min before each set... it would drift a bit over the course of a day... but never had a problem in mid set...

Also, I have an electric for those wet/muggy days where it I didn't want to expose my oud to the elements.

Chris Walters
Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 11:01 PM

Thanks, Chris. I needed the validation, because I was getting ribbed by our saz player, whose steel strings are dead stable (well, gee, my metal wrapped strings are stable, too). Oddly enough, my nylon C course doesn't drift.

Unfortunately, our stage faces south and is just partially shaded for the dancers, while our ensemble is in the corner edge and I haven't been able to avoid sun exposure changes. Will probably change strings before the festival is over, just to see if the Aquila nylgut behaves better.

I'm definitely going rugged solid electric before next year, just to keep my Shehata out of harm's way. Aren't you using a Sukar? Are the pegs well-behaved? Viken Najarian uses really nice mechanical pegs but his electric ouds are almost too fine to risk at dirty outdoor gigs.

The quest for better stagecraft continues...:cool:

mike
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 09:40 AM

Yes, both Ouds and the Electric are Sukkar.... I also run Fishman Aura preamp and really like what it does to the sound... it allows me to go w/ just piezios and no mic.

Haven't had a problem with the pegs - but I've used peg dope.. so sometimes the cc and gg courses are stiff....

I've been using the Aquilla Nylgut strings... I've tried Pyramid and others, but I like the tone of the Aquilla best.

Chris

Chris Walters
Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 11:48 AM

Thanks again.

mike
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 02:11 AM

Hallo Michael, Aquila nylgut strings seem to keep in tune better after setting down - they are less hygroscopic and so less vulnerable to changes in humidity (though they are sensitive to changes temperature as any other string).

If your pegs are really OK then you can make your tuning more stable much much quicker by prestreching gently the string along its length by twisting them between your thumb and and the index and middlefinger parallel to the soundboard (bur gently not to everstretch them). After this procedure (as far as I remember this is even the procedure Aquila recommands on their homepage, but I use it also sucessfully to nylon strings as well) you retune immediately and repeat it few times. Usually the tunig should be much more stable. This is even true after the string are for a while on the oud.

In my experience softer strings also tend to go out of tune easier then harder sets (at least wehen the pegs are good) - maybe because the harder strings operate in a diffferent elasticity domain ???

Of course changing string quite before you have a playing date or plan to play a lot is not such a good idea, if there is no sound reason to do it.

Best wishes

Robert

Go To Top