Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does a bigger oud make sense?
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 3-13-2009 at 04:35 AM
Does a bigger oud make sense?

Hi oudies:wavey:

after testing for a while how to hold, espacially where to rest my right arm, I find that it is most comfortable for me to do like Amer Ammouri -see the picture.
My problem is, when I hold the oud like this my risha-hand is somewhere near the bowl-to-neck-border(sorry for my english ) or my wrist is extremly angled.
Does it make sense to try a bigger oud and what is the max. bowlsize in arab ouds?

I`ll appreciate any advice!

Thanx

Marcus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 3-13-2009 at 05:36 AM

Hi Marcus,

My first oud was a borrowed Turkish oud. My second oud was a Gawharet el fan oud. My third oud was by Nazih Ghadban. All of these ouds were too small for me. The oud I now use is by Ibrahim Sukar and it is large bodied and has a deep bowl. The size of this oud makes playing position much more comfortable for me and I will now only consider large bodied ouds. So yes, I personally feel a difference and that this is important to me because the larger oud allows me a better posture leaving me free to concentrate on my playing. Also the bass response is warmer and deeper with this larger oud. Each to their own as ever. Regards, C.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-13-2009 at 08:28 AM

Hi Marcus,

Perhaps you should try holding the oud further to the right of your leg (if you are right handed). In other words, have the main sound hole more to the right of your thigh, angling the neck of the oud out about 30 degrees or a little more from your body (making a triangle), which may strain your shoulder a little bit, but might allow you to straighten your wrist according to where you prefer to pluck the strings most of the time.

Let me know if this makes sense, or if you might need a picture or something to illustrate it better.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
rojaros
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-13-2009 at 03:27 PM

Hi Marcus, bigger oud means different sound - so changing oud means changing sound - maybe not what you want. Maybe you need still some experimentation with holding the oud.

I just started to experiment with Ergoplay which is actually for classical guitars as a wonderful alternative for foot holders. I just got it and love it!
With little modification it could also be used for oud and woud probabely solve your hand position issues. Its around 20 Euro and well worth trying! See http://www.thomann.de/de/tappert_ergoplay.htm.

good luck and best wishes

robert
fhydan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-13-2009 at 10:24 PM

I personally prefer a slightly bigger ouds because of how I sit when I play one. I find it kind of awkward to play on chair as I learned to play sitting with my legs crossed.
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 11:42 PM

Hi all :wavey:
thanks a lot for your replys!!
In the last days I tried some different ways of holding the oud.I tried with the elbow high and low, change the position of where I pluck the strings and so on,but I never tried to change the the way I sit. Always sitting in a upright position on a wooden chair.
After a few hours all my back and shoulders been totaly tensed,so I take a rest on the sofa, with crossed legs and comfortable leaned back.I grabbed the oud again and play in this position and.....it works great. The Risha-arm is far more relaxed!The oud is located a bit more on the right on my leg.
So it was probably a problem with the sitting- than the arm position.

The problem now is, that I always have to carry my sofa if I play anywhere else:D

Thanks again & greetings from the sofa,

Marcus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 08:13 AM

Hi Marcus I'm just posting a thread abot using Ergoplay to reduce the posture problem.

Maybe it would adress your problems too?

best wishes
Robert
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 08:42 PM

look up http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=9024

Quote:
Originally posted by rojaros
Hi Marcus I'm just posting a thread abot using Ergoplay to reduce the posture problem.

Maybe it would adress your problems too?

best wishes
Robert

Go To Top