Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Seddisaba notation?
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 3-22-2009 at 09:36 AM
Seddisaba notation?

Hi everyone,
Cinucen Tanrikorur invented a makam that he called Seddisaba...does anyone have any notation for it? I don't know anything about the makam at all, I assume it's a kind of transposition of Saba but the it sounds more to me like old Cargah (I have some recordings).

adam
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 11:01 PM

Hi Adam, I have the recording of the seddisaba fasil, I don't have notation for it but the seyir of the makam is a mix of huzam on segah and sabah on buselik. The thought behind it is that they share the hicaz tetrachord on neva. I don't really know more details than that, this is from listening to the fasil once or twice.

adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 12:12 AM

Hi Masel, thanks for the reply!

Ok I'm listening now. If I'm properly oriented then that means the karar is Neva?? Kind of unusual or am I missing something. Also I don't get the Huzzam part...I don't hear any huzzam, only the hicaz from neva is very huzzam-like.

and, for the meyan it sounds like it likes to go to Evic or Evcara but transposed, also confusing...man I just need to see the notation.

any more thoughts?
adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 12:32 AM

Ok now I'm both more and less confused, here's a youtube video of Seddisaba fasil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8hCXuJaZUU

The pesrev is different than the one I have mp3s for...And the karar is different as well! From the youtube video the huzzam and saba on buselik makes total sense. Maybe there are two seddisaba makams that he made? Or two possibilities of seyir? Could be. They even show an image of page 1 of the pesrev before it starts. I'll try to post my really poor quality screenshot of it :)

Great concept for a makam, he was such a genius.
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 12:40 AM

Adam I am listening to the pesrev now. What you say about evic or evcara is possible I gave very general lines I don't know so much about turkish makam but I am starting to learn. In the pesrev it takes some time before it touches huzam, I think the main mode is saba on buselik, which is also the karar (at least in the pesrev, it's been some time since I listened to the whole fasil).

Edit: I just saw what you posted. Yes he was a real genius. Do you know about the other makams he invented?

adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 02:43 PM

I'll try to give a listen to the whole fasil on youtube, I assume it will always be the same karar (though as I mentioned, the recording I have in mp3 format listed as seddisaba the karar is neva, blahblah blah so we'll see)

I can't name any other makam that Cinucen invented, I think there are a few more?
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by adamgood
I'll try to give a listen to the whole fasil on youtube, I assume it will always be the same karar (though as I mentioned, the recording I have in mp3 format listed as seddisaba the karar is neva, blahblah blah so we'll see)

I can't name any other makam that Cinucen invented, I think there are a few more?

I thought there was some sort of flowery makam - "lalezar" or something like that (not lalegül, that's someone else's makam) - that he invented, but can't find my notes on that at the moment.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eliot
I thought there was some sort of flowery makam - "lalezar" or something like that (not lalegül, that's someone else's makam) - that he invented, but can't find my notes on that at the moment.

Hi Eliot. Very flowery, see below:

"He was a master of the Turkish maqams and himself invented 3 new maqams - Şeddisaba, Zavilaşiran and Gülbûse_ in which he composed complete concert suites (fasıls) and even four 40 minute long Mevlevi Ayin compositions for the Sema Ceremony music for the Whirling Dervishes."

Go To Top