Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iraqi maqam
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 01:09 AM
Iraqi maqam

I don't know who knows or is interested in iraqi maqam but of course youtube is an excellent source for it.

For example this playlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7n0wlnBcE0&feature=PlayList&...

The users iraqart2003 and IraqiMaqam have lots of rare, beautiful maqamat and pesteh. Edward, if you are reading this, here you will maqamat unique to iraq, like lami and mukhalaf, plus maqamt that are similar but treated differently, nahawand for example.

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 02:42 AM

Thanks Masal!

Now I am back in Czech. . . thinking that I made a nice trip and now I can get back to normal life. . . . ;) But I realised that the 3 months there was just cracking the door opening slightly and eves dropping for a couple of moments!

There is SO much out there. Sure, most of it is almost dead now in actually practice - but so much has been documented and this will take me years and years to digest.

Iraqi - Persian - Azeri - Kurdi - etc etc etc

Let's see.... if my girlfriend will agree to marry me :shrug: then I will soon have to go somewhere again... (EU visa problem) I am thinking about Azer?

I gotta get into Iraqi maqam, but at the moment I am zero----- I realised I also never really digested M.A.Waheb... shameful isn't it??:cool:

David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 01:11 AM

Edward, I wouldn't waste your time with Azerbaijan - it's a filthy ex-Soviet basketcase of a country with very little of musical interest (unless you are a connoisseur of mobile phone ringtones that is...:D). Mostly just corruption and conspicuous consumption like the rest of the former Soviet Union. Much better to go to Iran, which is an endlessly fascinating place - I'm sure you would find it very rewarding, and there are quite a few Iranian oud players and other musicians that you should be able to get in touch with fairly easily.

All the best

David

Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 01:57 AM

I agree with David - Iran is an amazing place.

Leon
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David Parfitt
Edward, I wouldn't waste your time with Azerbaijan - it's a filthy ex-Soviet basketcase of a country with very little of musical interest (unless you are a connoisseur of mobile phone ringtones that is...:D). Mostly just corruption and conspicuous consumption like the rest of the former Soviet Union. Much better to go to Iran, which is an endlessly fascinating place - I'm sure you would find it very rewarding, and there are quite a few Iranian oud players and other musicians that you should be able to get in touch with fairly easily.

All the best

David

Hi David

Thanks!

How do you know this about Azer? Were you there recently?
Mohammed Antar just got back from playing a contest there where his group won 3rd prize. He said it is a musical wonderland where they are now trying very hard to resurrect their traditional music. He said in Baku there are at least 100 very good young mugam players.

But I agree that Iran would make more sense --- although visas are a hassel.

David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 04:42 AM

Hi Edward

I spent a few weeks in Azerbaijan in 2003, but things could have changed since then I guess. I have heard that there is some kind of music scene in Ganja (Ganca), but it is near Nagorno-Karabakh and we were advised against travelling there as there were roadblocks etc. and things were tense at the time. There was a nice museum of musical instruments in Baku, with a few ouds, but I wasn't allowed to take any photos unfortunately. I think Marc Loopuyt has done a CD with Azeri musicians, so might be worth checking that out?

Would still recommend Iran over Azerbaijan any day though, as I just think it has so much more to offer - like Cairo compared to Alexandria I guess! :D

All the best

David

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 10:07 AM

Yes I am sure you are right.

However I also remember asking Ross Daly in 2003 where he would travel to if he was free (I guess now he IS free)... he said he would like to go to Azer, because his favourite musician is from there: forget the name at the moment.....

Butrous
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 02:52 PM

Arif Azerturk, the great Azeri tar player, taught at the national music conservatory in Damascus. Alsiadi studied with him there.

You can hear his solo tar on youtube.com by searching:

Muzigen Renkleri Arif Azerturk

I last heard that he was living in Istanbul.

Go To Top