Author: Subject: [Off topic] Flat-backed saz EDIT - setar
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 11:59 PM
[Off topic] Flat-backed saz EDIT - setar

Not oud related

Hello all

A relative of mine picked this up in the portobello market in London. He was told it was a saz. The front looks quite setar-like to me, and is about that size, but it has six pegs, so I guess it must be a saz. Has anyone seen a flat-backed one like this before? The photo quality is poor (took it on my mobile) but the craftmanship is actually of a pretty high standard and the edge banding on the soundboard is really finely done.

Anything else interesting you can tell me about it?

Yes, I did notice it's in 2 pieces!
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 12:00 AM

Photo 1
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 12:01 AM

Photo 2
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 12:07 AM

OK, now I review the post, I see my counting skills leave something to be desired. I could have sworn it had 6 pegs when I saw it. Strange. Is this a setar?
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 06:44 AM

Yes. It's a flatback setar (setareh Ketabi, in Farsi). It's nice because you don't often see one. They have a special history in Iran because musicians used to hide them in their clothing. The flatback made this possible. They are now usually used for practice. It also looks left handed or someone put int the pegs the wrong way!
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 07:59 AM

Many thanks Peyman - that's interesting about the flat back. Were they hiding them because of religious disaproval? And am I right in thinking setar-e ketabi means "book" setar (presumably because of the flatness)?

It seems a shame that this instrument should spend the rest of its days broken in two. I've always loved the setar and this is actually a very nice looking instrument. I have half a mind to try and repair it - that is if it's not too valuable to risk my limited woodworking skills on. Does anyone have an idea how to set a setar neck? There appeared to be a wooden dowel going from the end of the neck into the neck block, which had broken (you can't see it in the photo) but it was very thin and I have no idea how setars are constructed. Any ideas?

Also, how would I get hold of strings and, if it's too much for an amateur woodworker, does anyone know of a luthier in the UK who knows anything about setars?

Thanks again.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 10:11 AM

Yes, ketabi means book-like, refering to the flat back. And you're right about the reason. They also referred to them as "choobeh sag zani," or dog beating stick (to disguise the purpose of the instrument) and also "zir abayee," literally "under the garment."

Incidentally, I am building one of these. It's not as deep and it's almost finished. I'll post a picture tonight.

This instrument looks old so it might be worth some money. You should see if you can find a brand. Setars are usually marked with a hot iron that has the makers name on it. If you can find it, it might be helpful.
Eshghi has made some flatbacks. He was one of the most famous makers in the past century and his instruments are very sought after. If you have an Eshghi, then you might have a rare gem.
You should get it fixed professionally, since the dowl is broken. There are different ways to connect the neck to the body. Oh, and most importantly, if you take it to a luthier, don't let them unbind the soundboard from the side ribs. The ribs are too thin and so is the edges of the soundboard. There is a good chance of breackage.
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 05:12 AM

Thanks again Peyman. I will ask my uncle to look for the maker's mark - i was going to ask you about identification. I was also going to suggest popping the hood to look for a label while fixing it, so thanks for the warning. I won't do that now. I'll let you know when/if we can find a brand. It does look old. I had worries some of that patina was shoe polish (!), but the wear marks do seem to be in roughly the right places for player's hands and body.

Do post your project, that would be really interesting.

Dave
Beas.One
Oud Maniac

Mood: Content

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 07:27 AM

I've heard about this type of setar before, but I have never seen one. Thank you for posting the pictures you have. I look forward to seeing yours too Peyman!

Lapis Lazuli Jewelry
Handmade in Afghanistan
Beautiful Designs, Great Prices.
http://www.afghanjewelry.com
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 10:50 AM

Here it is. It's unfinished. Nothing to shake a stick at ;)
It's maple body, rosewood neck and the top is spruce with redwood wings. All are left overs, that's why it looks the way it does.
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-2-2009 at 01:19 AM

Very nice Peyman. Can you post again it when it's finished? I'd love to hear what it sounds like. I'll let you know if I can find a maker's mark.

D

Go To Top