Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Info needed on Ghadban and Shahata ouds
Mysterious48
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 11:59 PM
Info needed on Ghadban and Shahata ouds

ahla wa sahlan people,
does anyone here have an oud by Nazih Ghadban, im looking more into his ouds. Im fascinated by his oud no 1039. How do you rate him as an oud maker, how are the sounds of his ouds?

Many people here give praises to shahata, is nazih just as good as shahata? Also im getting the idea Shahata is a bit cheaper than Ghadban, was price a factor in anyones decision of buying these high class ouds? And overall, can anyone come to a concise answer on who is the better of the two if you had to make a choice? if anyone has history info on these two or any other great oud makers id love to know.

Thanks,
Rami
oudman

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 6-3-2004 at 02:10 AM
Nazih Ghadban

Hi
I can only speak about Nazih since i dont own a Shahata. Ive purchased over 5 ouds from Nazih in the past two years for myself and for some friends - The work is always beautiful and classy, the sound is even on all strings, I have always been extremely happy with the work, and he is also a pleasure to deal with. If you need any more info, you can email me at theoudman@aol.com and id be more than happy to help you.
Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 6-3-2004 at 08:30 AM
oud 1039

Hi Rami,
I am the buyer of that oud No 1039 from Nazih,It has a great bass sound very deep, reech and warm but with a great response also on the high strings and an excellent reverb..I don't know about Shahata, but let me tell you taht Nazih is a great luthier and a great person, i have another oud (n.911 i'll put some pics on the site if i can) manufactured by Nazih, a classical oud not a Bashir oud, it is also a great instrument with great bright sounds. In the end i find nazih instruments good both for bright and bass sounds...
Elias
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 6-3-2004 at 10:17 PM

:bounce: Hey Rami, I was thinking about your question and I think that this is going to have to be all you on figuring out which is better.
I already own one Shehata and have another one on the way. But yet, I wouldn't feel comfotable telling you he's the best because it's a matter of personal opinion. All I can tell you is if you want one Yehia is the guy to go to.
So my only suggestion is to try to get your hands on both and find out for yourself ;)
Good luck.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 12:11 AM

I bought an oud from Nazih about a year ago, and I love it. It is a fine instrument, by all means. It has a very comfortable action, sounds great (very arabic), stays in tune, and its made well. (You can see a picture of it on the oud photos page.)

I don't have a personal experience with Shehata ouds, but from what I hear they are great too. I've often been tempted to buy one, but I don't need another distraction at this time. My time is tied up at the moment :shrug:

I don't think you can go wrong with either
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 7-22-2004 at 06:32 AM
Oud 1039 - Nazih Ghadban

Hi Rami,

I just purchased Oud 1032 which is the same (Bashir Style) oud as 1039. I actually travelled to Lebanon and visited Nazih Ghadban at his workshop in Ras-Baalbek. I arrived home in Australia only three days ago and haven't put the oud down except to sleep (infrequently).

It is an amazing instrument with wonderful sustain and a beautiful bottom end. I highly recommend the man and his instruments.

Incidentaly, whilst in Lebanon, I jammed at a Batroun restaurant with a Lebanese flamenco guitar player also called Rami, so that may be an omen (or something ;-)

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-22-2004 at 06:50 AM

Hi Greg

Which part of Australia do you live?

Salam
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-22-2004 at 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulkarnain
Hi Greg

Which part of Australia do you live?

Salam

Hi Zulkarnain,

I live in Brisbane, Queensland. I see that you are in KL. I spent last weekend there on my way back from Lebanon. Pity I didn't get involved with this BB before. I could have showed you 1032.

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-22-2004 at 07:13 AM

Hi

Yeah it will be cool to have a look at your new Oud! I will be in Brisbane by Ramadhan later this year so maybe we can meet up insyallah :)

Salam
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-22-2004 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulkarnain
Hi

Yeah it will be cool to have a look at your new Oud! I will be in Brisbane by Ramadhan later this year so maybe we can meet up insyallah :)

Salam

I look forward to it.

palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 09:03 AM

Hello Greg this is Rami with a different user name. Im glad to hear you are enjoying your oud. You said the 1032 is the same as 1039. Does that mean same basic concepts or is the design a copy of the 1039 oud. What features of the oud do you like most? I hope you can post some pictures and sound files? And if you dont mind telling me hpw much did it cost you?

I think everyone on the board has the same idea in that i have to try both to figure out which i prefer or it may be comparing apples anf oranges and they both may be good. But i think with the boards help and my gut feeling I will try to go with Ghadbans ouds first. The reason is because their simplicity in physical style looks exotic but also that it tells the player i dont need fancy dressings because i am about sound. I'll be looking to hear from you, thanks Greg.
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-24-2004 at 07:56 AM

Dear Rami,

The numbers 1032 and 1039 are serial numbers of the instruments, not model numbers. So 1032 and 1039 are the same design or model. I believe you would have a picture of 1039, so there is no need to send you a picture of mine (1032), as they look almost identical. Both of these instruments are what Mr Ghadban calls his "Bashir Model." No doubt, all these instruments are slightly different because they are hand made. But, you would need to play each to tell the difference.

Buying a musical instrument is such a personal thing that nobody other than you can make the right decision for you. I was lucky to be able to touch and play the instrument prior to making my decision to buy. I looked at three different model ouds made by Mr Ghadban and the decision was very difficult. They all looked and sounded wonderful. I decided on the Bashir model because it had slightly more sustain than the other models and I felt it may have better projection and therefore may be better for playing in a live-music environment. But of course, these things are very subjective and either of the other ouds may have had similar or better projection to somebody else's ear. In the end, I guess the deciding factor for me was that this particular oud sounds great to my ear and the design is extremely elegant (to my eye).
As to the price, this is a personal matter between the luthier and the individual purchaser. If you email Mr Ghadban, I feel sure he will give you his prices.
I prefer to touch and play an instrument, prior to purchasing. However, that is not always possible and for that reason I have tried to answer your questions as fully as possible.
Having now purchased an instrument from Nazih Ghadban, I would have no hesitation in sending him an order for another instrument without first playing it.
Good luck with your decision.
Greg
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 7-24-2004 at 06:55 PM

Thanks greg for the info, you helped me out a great deal. I understand about the price issue and i have spoken to mister ghadban so i have a general idea. Altough i must ask you, did you bargain with him or did you pay the price he asked. Bargaining is common in the mid- east but i feel somewhat embaressed to bargain for an oud knowing the amount of labor that goes into it, but affording these things are a stretch. thanks

Go To Top